E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Mercedes E 500 Command Center Freezes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 500
Question Mercedes E 500 Command Center Freezes

I have a strange situation happen on my E 500 Command Center. I bought the 2003 E500 with an aftermarket radio, I had the new radio installed. I independently purchased the amp, the gps antenna and the command center. Once installed it all worked normal for about a month and a half. The last couple of weeks I start the car and the black screen with Mercedes sign is the only thing showing in the command center. It can switch on the radio within 5 minutes, or 20 minutes or sometimes it just stays in that screen.

I noticed a fiber optic cable directly connected to the rear fuse box which was burnt, and i unplugged it. Went back to installers and they tell me the actual radio is malfunctioning. That the mother board of the radio is not working properly.

Im suspicious and think that the burnt fiber optic cable ( it was previously connected for LED Screens the car had before I bought it ) has compromised the wiring to the radio. Any suggestions?

I just dont comprehend how the screen freezes, but once it works everything works fine. The radio, the gps.

A few times on short drives it never works, then I park the car and within a few minutes the radio goes on and starts to work.

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.