E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Navigation unit quits when hot outside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 05:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Navigation unit quits when hot outside

I have 2 2005 E320 CDI's. I have been using copies( from my own disc!!) of the 2008 Nav Disc, made using Verbatim Plus R DVD's. Ordinarily, they work fine, but when it gets hot outside, like in the mid-high 80's and above, I get a "Please Insert Disc " error and the unit doesn't work. The next morning, when it is cool, everything is fine. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. I am going to make another copy, using JVC( Taiyo Yuden) DVD's. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 04-24-2012, 04:18 PM

All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Update: Installed 2012 v.11 Nav Disc

My O5 CDI has been running a 2008 Nav Disc. I purchased the OEM Benz 2012 v.11 Disc and installed it. I put it in the DVD player in the trunk and turned the key on. The Command unit showed: "Nav Update" "Please wait". I could hear the DVD unit in the trunk clicking and the small circle started turning under the "Please Wait". Initially it took about 7 seconds for the circle to complete. I expected the procedure would take about 10-15 minutes. I watched it for an hour, at which time the circle would complete in under 2 seconds. I started to get nervous and let it run for an hour. Then I turned the key off, waited about 5 minutes and turned it on. I got the full map display and things were normal. I can enter destinations while the car is moving. I have a MacBook Pro and I put the new disc in and asked it to "Duplicate". It made a perfect copy and I put the copy in the DVD player in the trunk and have full functionality, with my original safely stored. Thanks for all the contributors to the nav functions. I had purchased MacX the Ripper Pro because I thought the disc would be protected, but the MBP made a perfect copy with the OSX software. I used Taiyo Yuden (JVC) 8X disc and copied at 2.5X.

I haven't had it in there long enough to explore the original problem of excessive heat in the trunk area giving me the "Please insert disc" alert with loss of nav. I will post later on the results.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
I am surprised no one responded to this thread initially but I am glad you found a solution or what you believe to be a solution. As anything with Mercedes-Benz, I don't want to have to buy another one so I might copy my disc as well, a distorted disc (warp or damage) might result from high temperature or temperature fluctuations that is a real possibility.

Please let us know what you find over the next few days.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:21 PM

Need some warm weather!!

The DVD error I described usually happened when temp's were in the real high 70's and 80's. I live in the Northeast and we haven't gotten that hot lately. I will definitely report when it gets warm.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e-350 2006
I have had the same problem with my 2006 E-class. I bought it used in late september and had no problems through the winter. Now, as the temps heat up I have had problems. On longer trips, the unit will work fine for the first hour, then begin to malfuntion or ask me to insert DVD into trunk unit, even though it's there. I have contemplated purchasing an update.