E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Basic Carrier Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E550 RWD
Basic Carrier Question

Just bought and installed basic carrier cross bars with bike racks on my W211. When I secured the basic carriers down, I observed some gaps between the rack mounts and the roof. One of the gaps measures almost quarter of an inch wide. Are these gaps normal? or are my carriers defective? It just seems like a whole lot of elements (water, dirt, mud, etc. etc.) can get through the gap. Doesn't seem normal...anyone else have the basic carrier that might be able to confirm rather this is normal or not? Thanks.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:15 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
C43
Mine have the gaps as well. Presumably designed so the plastic feet of the racks don't rub against the paint while mounted. I don't find the gaps to be asthetically unpleasing and am glad they don't rub and make marks since I keep the rack off except when I'm going biking. Perhaps will collect elements under them if left on for a long time but all in all a fair trade-off in my opinion.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E550 RWD
Originally Posted by Shotime
Mine have the gaps as well. Presumably designed so the plastic feet of the racks don't rub against the paint while mounted. I don't find the gaps to be asthetically unpleasing and am glad they don't rub and make marks since I keep the rack off except when I'm going biking. Perhaps will collect elements under them if left on for a long time but all in all a fair trade-off in my opinion.
I figured the gaps were to protect the finish but its still a gap. Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly care about the way the rack looks but am concerned about the possible corrosion. I am not sure if I agree that it's a fair trade-off. Matter of fact I don't think that a trade-off should exist to begin with. Why the heck aren't there rubber seal or something with the mounting base? A rubber seal would save the paint and close the gap. I do plan to leave mine on all year long since it'll haul bikes or storage box in the summer and skis or storage box in the winter. What bums me out a bit is that today (first day with the rack) it rained and I found that water does collect through the gap grr... Time for a visit to Home Depot to customize seals. Oh, and thanks for the reply shotime. Good to know my racks aren't at least defective.