E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

W211 Airmatic to Coilover Conversion - DONE!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 02:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E500
check the 1st post...his name and biz is listed.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E500 Pewtergrey/ 06 E55 AMG White
Ok got it, I will be talking with your boy. thanks so much

update, I actually just called BenzTek and spoke to your good friend and let him know that when my kit gets in, I will bring everything to him and we can schedule a apartment. Thanks so much, No airmatics for me, I'm sending the new unused parts back to Advance Auto. Just don't want to deal with lifetime warranties I have to keep sending back and forth and paying for core charges, I would rather do the conversion, still have the smooth ride and wall. He is also going to do my AMG as well/ two cars = AWESOME

Last edited by PewterGreyBenz; 02-25-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
05 E55, 06 Audi S4
I believe the airmatic is a great feature to keep in the car... If you wanna go low you have the option to push a button to raise it depending in road conditions. And with the refurbished parts its cheaper to fix now. I would never want to lose the adjustability on the fly. It's a great feature and imop a downgrade to slap coilovers on which in most cases need to be rebuilt every 40k miles.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:54 PM

04 E500 Pewtergrey/ 06 E55 AMG White
I understand this and to be honest, I'm really confused on which way to go. On one hand I don't want to deal with a surprise breakdown out in no where land, and on the other hand, I like the stock aromatics, and the ability to adjust my own height.

Okay coil over conversion , I don't have to deal with it ever again (I thought)

Arnotts remanufatured airmatics )keep ride height and use) PROBLEM,,,,, They have yet to make a kit for the rears (so what do i do about this ?)

Originally Posted by forcefed4door
I believe the airmatic is a great feature to keep in the car... If you wanna go low you have the option to push a button to raise it depending in road conditions. And with the refurbished parts its cheaper to fix now. I would never want to lose the adjustability on the fly. It's a great feature and imop a downgrade to slap coilovers on which in most cases need to be rebuilt every 40k miles.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:16 PM

MERC
I have a question. With the KW suspension can you slam the car? I'm gonna be rolling on 20's and I'm have the body shop cut, roll and re seal my fenders so I plan to have a "stance" look but without the nasty stretch tire look. I want to be able to put the car pretty low ...
Old 10-03-2013, 04:48 PM

2004 E500
at the coilover's maximum height, my tires were right at the lip of my fender; it could still be adjusted 1.5" more or so to drop it lower. I personally didn't want it that low, so I used OEM shims to give the coilover adjuster some height, which gave some spacing between my tires and lip, and reduced wear of my tires.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:11 AM

2003 Benz e500
Airmatic struts

Hey Spinn, I need to replace all my struts, do you still have those used ones you had?
If not could you advise me on where to find goo used ones?
Thank you!
Old 10-29-2013, 12:43 PM

2004 E500
It depends on what your goals are, but if you plan to keep your car for a long time, I would swap them for Arnott's rebuilds. Otherwise, you can look at car-parts.com to locate a yard that would have the airmatic struts.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:27 PM

Mercedes Benz E500 2005
Originally Posted by spinn
It depends on what your goals are, but if you plan to keep your car for a long time, I would swap them for Arnott's rebuilds. Otherwise, you can look at car-parts.com to locate a yard that would have the airmatic struts.
SPINN, do you have by any chance still have the ari compressor?...thank you!
Old 02-26-2014, 12:40 AM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by Servellon
SPINN, do you have by any chance still have the ari compressor?...thank you!
nope. sold it.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
I know this thread is a bit old but I had my front strut blow up on me today and now the car is sitting on the ground. Replaced the rear bags with Arnott parts about a year ago, but I'm really considering just going coils all around - cheaper in the long run. My main concern is performance driving. I feel like AirMatic is good but I've outgrown its limits, mainly due to the amount of body roll even in Sport II.

Do the coilovers significantly reduce body roll? Also, even with just the E550 I get a fair amount of acceleration "squat" does this also get reduced with coil overs? My major concern is compatibility with 4-Matic.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 05-02-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:48 PM

Mercedes Benz E500 2005
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
I know this thread is a bit old but I had my front strut blow up on me today and now the car is sitting on the ground. Replaced the rear bags with Arnott parts about a year ago, but I'm really considering just going coils all around - cheaper in the long run. My main concern is performance driving. I feel like AirMatic is good but I've outgrown its limits, mainly due to the amount of body roll even in Sport II.

Do the coilovers significantly reduce body roll? Also, even with just the E550 I get a fair amount of acceleration "squat" does this also get reduced with coil overs?
"Wiki
On wheeled or tracked vehicles, body roll is a reference to the load transfer of a vehicle towards the outside of a turn. When a vehicle is fitted with a suspension package, it works to keep the wheels or tracks in contact with the road, providing grip for the driver of vehicle to control its direction. This suspension is compliant to some degree, allowing the vehicle body, which sits upon the suspension, to lean in the direction of the perceived centrifugal force acting upon the car. Anti-roll bars are a part of the suspension specifically designed to address body roll.

When a vehicle is fitted with a suspension there is compliance between the mass of the vehicle and the vehicle's contact with the ground. Body roll is the noticeable (either perceived or measureable) deflection produced when load transfer acts on the compliant elements of the suspension. Anti-roll bars directly impact body roll but their design intent is actually as a tool to adjust roll couple percentage or roll moment distribution."

With that being said!...and answering your question!...YES it helps..the lower the car better it gets...you can also buy roll bars for w211...if can't find one..you can get an experiencnce metal shop to make you one!....and I wanted to ask!... Can you sell me your blown strut?...or if you want to give it for free..even better!.. Hope it helped my reply..take care..and good luck!

Last edited by Servellon; 05-02-2014 at 10:50 PM. Reason: adding text
Old 05-02-2014, 11:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honda Metropolitan
Originally Posted by Servellon
"Wiki
On wheeled or tracked vehicles, body roll is a reference to the load transfer of a vehicle towards the outside of a turn. When a vehicle is fitted with a suspension package, it works to keep the wheels or tracks in contact with the road, providing grip for the driver of vehicle to control its direction. This suspension is compliant to some degree, allowing the vehicle body, which sits upon the suspension, to lean in the direction of the perceived centrifugal force acting upon the car. Anti-roll bars are a part of the suspension specifically designed to address body roll.

When a vehicle is fitted with a suspension there is compliance between the mass of the vehicle and the vehicle's contact with the ground. Body roll is the noticeable (either perceived or measureable) deflection produced when load transfer acts on the compliant elements of the suspension. Anti-roll bars directly impact body roll but their design intent is actually as a tool to adjust roll couple percentage or roll moment distribution."

With that being said!...and answering your question!...YES it helps..the lower the car better it gets...you can also buy roll bars for w211...if can't find one..you can get an experiencnce metal shop to make you one!....and I wanted to ask!... Can you sell me your blown strut?...or if you want to give it for free..even better!.. Hope it helped my reply..take care..and good luck!
I would give you my used struts but shipping would rape you and me.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Yeah obviously the suspension geometry changes the lower the car gets, and with more negative camber handling dynamics will be a bit better. I never knew there were aftermarket roll bars for the W211 available, not very familiar with the suspension setup beyond the basics and the parts of the AirMatic system.

I can give you my blown strut if you pay for shipping, but if I end up going the Arnott route I'll just send in my cores for a partial rebate, since they are worth something. I'm just looking for flatter, 5-series like handling instead of the boaty feeling of the airmatic
Old 05-02-2014, 11:35 PM

Mercedes Benz E500 2005
Originally Posted by Duc1098E500
I would give you my used struts but shipping would rape you and me.
Thank you!..I'm going to Atlanta the 9th and the 10th I'm going to new Jersey!.. I can afford the shipping to there!..thank you!
Old 09-20-2015, 07:06 AM

E220 CDI Avantgarde
Hi

After having my S211 nearly with the rear on the floor ( only have the air bags ), the problem was the compressor that didn´t want to work, only worked when the car arrived at the mechanic, but only 2 min but the air bags didnt lift.

I made the replacement to Arnott coil springs, the height is nearly the same, the driving is better, I think that it was the best thing I did, from now on, no more problems with air springs.

I´m only having one issue, and don´t know if its because I drove the S211 to the mechanic, and the lights went on, now the lights are a bit to low, maybe because the the calibration was made with the rear down, at the instrutions says to unplug the leveling sam module, now it only makes the lights calibration to left and right and does not go down and up, like it used to do.

Is it because before the coils springs have been changed it had the memory of the lights down, and since the module was unpluged off sam it assumes that the truck is still low?

Can I plug again the leveling plug on the sam module, and instead take off the compressor fuse?
Old 09-21-2015, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
Is anyone installing a front sway bar when converting????
Old 09-24-2015, 09:37 AM

E220 CDI Avantgarde
It should be done on a lift…not recommended for the DIYer. And since programming the Central Gateway using SDS is necessary, better to have someone who knows his way around SDS to help you.

Do you have Bi xenon or xenon with self leveling , if so did it still make the self levelling after the programming the central gateway using SDS??
Old 03-06-2016, 10:24 AM

e-class (w211)
Cool help!

Hello Fam,
Bought an 05 e500 6 months ago. Seems ******* before me rigged the airmatic unit with wires near front left wheel is held up by zip ties. I was told that part alone is around 1000$. Rather than buy that and continue having these problems, i would like to convert to coil overs.. Just want it to be done right with the proper parts.Of course i want the kw coils, but how are the HK ones ? and if i purchase those, do i have to purchase additional parts considering its going from air to coils. Not to familiar with the process as my previous and 1st car was a 1996 Honda Acorrd, little different
Old 03-07-2016, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MoMuppets
Hello Fam,
Bought an 05 e500 6 months ago. Seems ******* before me rigged the airmatic unit with wires near front left wheel is held up by zip ties. I was told that part alone is around 1000$. Rather than buy that and continue having these problems, i would like to convert to coil overs.. Just want it to be done right with the proper parts.Of course i want the kw coils, but how are the HK ones ? and if i purchase those, do i have to purchase additional parts considering its going from air to coils. Not to familiar with the process as my previous and 1st car was a 1996 Honda Acorrd, little different
You'll need coils, E350 rear lca's, and a person who is nice with coding/sds....
Old 06-28-2016, 09:09 PM

06 E55
Hello, I have a 06 e55 with airmatic suspension. Can someone send me a parts list please so I can do the conversion on my car? Also does anyone know how to do the programming to get rid of the light on the cluster after the swap?
Thank you for your help.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by madanik
Hello, I have a 06 e55 with airmatic suspension. Can someone send me a parts list please so I can do the conversion on my car? Also does anyone know how to do the programming to get rid of the light on the cluster after the swap?
Thank you for your help.
Read post #45
Old 03-26-2017, 11:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Was 89' 300E, Now 93' 500SEL
Hi guys! it looks like im going to convert my car over sometime this week and im glad i found this post on here. I have a question about the parts list. The orange highlighted parts are the ONLY parts that i need off the list?
Old 03-28-2017, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hellah fresh
Hi guys! it looks like im going to convert my car over sometime this week and im glad i found this post on here. I have a question about the parts list. The orange highlighted parts are the ONLY parts that i need off the list?
read post #45 if you are 2wd
The following users liked this post:
hellah fresh (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 12:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Was 89' 300E, Now 93' 500SEL
^ Thanks!

Originally Posted by cmriv
You'll need coils, E350 rear lca's, and a person who is nice with coding/sds....
What year E350 LCA do i need? 08?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W211 Airmatic to Coilover Conversion - DONE!