E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Bad News For Mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fiscal Neo Con Express
all my vehicles have break dust on the wheels.
so the benz has a little more...so what?!?!
i think your expecting to much of MB because you spent $60000!
i don't get it......people buy a MB and expect perfection....no car is perfect...even the ones that cost $200000. but...hey ...it must have meant a lot to you if you went out and changed the rotors and pads. write MB and tell them....who knows...maybe they'll come and clean them for you at the end of every day!
Old 07-20-2003, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Originally posted by S55inPA
all my vehicles have break dust on the wheels.
so the benz has a little more...so what?!?!
i think your expecting to much of MB because you spent $60000!
i don't get it......people buy a MB and expect perfection....no car is perfect...even the ones that cost $200000. but...hey ...it must have meant a lot to you if you went out and changed the rotors and pads. write MB and tell them....who knows...maybe they'll come and clean them for you at the end of every day!
theres no reason to get upset man, were just stating that our cars have a lot more dust than the cars that are worth 25 K. cant MB fix this in a 60K car? or am i really asking for to much?
Old 07-20-2003, 10:18 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
sorry guys....i'm not trying to insult anyone. it just seems like such a petty complaint. when the brakes fail..that's when i'll be upset. hey..maybe the pads that MB and other european makers use brake teh vehicle better?
as for me... i'm pretty particular with my car and wash and wax it often. the front rims do build up dust but not to such a degree that it bothers me. even my GMC pickup will build up break dust on the front rims if i don't wash it regularly.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
I wrote the manufacturer about the Mintex pad squeal. Here is what they said:

"I am surprised to hear this situation.

There are a number of things that may help............

1) Chamfer pad edges
2) clean caliper, apply copper slip to pad edges
3) Apply shim to pad backing plate

Are the discs OK............wear lips could cause the noise.
Pads could be sticking"

Does anyone know what he is talking about? "Copper slip"? My "discs" are new. In any case, I can't find anyone who will do this - they only replace stuff.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
chamfering the pad edges is a standard part of any brake pad install, it simply involves running some emory paper around the edge to take off the harsh right angle transition.

the other things involve what is usually a "goo" that is sometimes called "disc brake pad quiet" solution, it provides a tacky surface that will not shift against the caliper. Mintex already have a rough edged grippy backing, so I have never used it with them.

http://hartwellinternational.com/sta...epermatex4.htm

Don't do anything based on my comments, I don't want to be held responsible again. This post is my opinion only.

Last edited by nyca; 07-21-2003 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:39 PM

E55
Can someone tell me what semi-metallic brakes are? And what are ceramic brakes. They are supposed ot be invironmentally friendly. Do they hold well? What are MB brakes made of?
Old 07-22-2003, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Customer Sat & brake dust.....

"The real measure of customer statisfaction should be not how many nits are picked but how well does the dealer and manufacturer take care of the problems pointed out by new owners." This philosophy is for people that have no sense of quality and too much time on their hands. The thought that "it's OK to sell you inferior product for top dollar as long as they keep fixing it" is absurd. MB is having a quality meltdown caused by their movement into high volume sales and pricing pressure in the global economy. To expect MB to have no less quality than less expensive cars is reasonable. Hopefully they will get better or die in the process. Brake dust is annoying but can be fixed. My Porterfield pads dust 90% less than stock pads. Pad squeel can be fixed as well with proper lubrication, chamfering and break in.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:28 PM

2015 C300
Originally posted by nyca
chamfering the pad edges is a standard part of any brake pad install, it simply involves running some emory paper around the edge to take off the harsh right angle transition.

the other things involve what is usually a "goo" that is sometimes called "disc brake pad quiet" solution, it provides a tacky surface that will not shift against the caliper. Mintex already have a rough edged grippy backing, so I have never used it with them.

http://hartwellinternational.com/sta...epermatex4.htm

Don't do anything based on my comments, I don't want to be held responsible again. This post is my opinion only.
Thank you very much for the information. I promise not to hold you responsible.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:31 AM

hpilot--I am sorry to hear of your troubles . If you have some pics--please do post them. I am sure we would all like to see the amount of brake dust that these new pads put out.

Thanks.

Last edited by monakh; 07-24-2003 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:50 AM

2015 C300
Originally posted by monakh
hpilot--I am sorry to hear of your troubles . If you have some pics--please do post them. I am sure we would all like to see the amount of brake dust that these new pads put out.

Thanks.
Thanks for the concern. I don't have any pics yet. My biggest problem right now is the squealing. It is getting worse all the time - very embarrassing. I do not have the expertise to try all the remedies suggested here and by the manufacturer, and whenever I call up a brake shop I get a "You want us to do what". What really bugs me is that I spent all that money and I didn't fix the dust problem, I just added the squeal problem. I can't believe the manufacture expressed surprise at that. Maybe these pads are counterfeit?
Old 07-24-2003, 05:33 PM

2015 C300
Well, I guess I sound like a broken record, but I developed another brake problem. Now in addition to squealing, they chatter just before I come to a complete stop, and when I release them after a stop. And also when creeping along in slow traffic. I think I will concede defeat and pay to have the old pads reinstalled tomorrow - I have no choice. I guess what my mechanic told me is true - there is no solution to brake dust. Non OEM pads just don't work. I wish I had listened to him. Don't buy Mintex brake pads.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:22 PM

2003 E320 - Black
Mintex Brake Pads

I had the mintex on my 528 and the do work fine with very little brake dust, but they did squeal at first for a few hundred miles, but after that they worked fine. One problem though, they did seem to warp the rotors slightly causing steering wheel vibration.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:51 PM

I'm hopeful that I can shed some light on the brake pad/dust debate. Last Saturday
I was changing a cd in my clk, and entered
an expressway ramp too fast. I cranked on the brakes, which instantly brought
down my speed. I know ESP was helpful,
but these brakes are by far the best I have ever had. Until recently, I complained
about the brake dust every time I washed the car. I now know, though, that these
very same brakes allowed me to keep a
$63,000 + auto without any body creases,
no matter how careless its driver was (all
it takes is half a second). Buy an extra sponge for the wheels and a box of
hospital gloves to wear when washing, and realize you have some of the best brakes available