MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   Michelin PS3 vs. Pilot Super Sport? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/452101-michelin-ps3-vs-pilot-super-sport.html)

Vik888 06-18-2012 01:44 AM

Michelin PS3 vs. Pilot Super Sport?

I need new tires. I've run Michelin PS2's my last two sets. Love them.

I've been told the Pilot Super Sport is actually the replacement for the PS2's not the PS3. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Anyway, not sure which route to take. The chart on the Michelin site is confusing. It says the PS3 is now the OEM tire on E63's and M3's but it has poorer handling and braking than the Pilot Super Sports?

Thanks in advance.

_AMG_ 06-18-2012 02:37 AM

Here is my review about the Super Sports.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...rt-review.html

Vik888 06-18-2012 03:44 AM

Thank you! PSS it is. Lots of positive reviews. Not even sure how the PS3's fit in with the current Michelin line-up.

MB4tronic 06-18-2012 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Vik888 (Post 5244815)
Thank you! PSS it is. Lots of positive reviews. Not even sure how the PS3's fit in with the current Michelin line-up.

I've been replacing my tires one by one with the oem conti's but I know the ones you are mentioning are much better.. the oem conti's are rated like 6/10, pretty low all around on tirerack. I just replaced my two backs with 70% tires for $120 installed, so it's hard to want to buy new tires if I can keep on finding the conti's used. I got the last two from one of the guys in Irvine for $20 a tire..

I was pricing out new ones and I was impressed and read a bunch of positive reviews on the new BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2.. I would definitely throw these into the mix.. in a few months when some more money rolls in I'm going to try the Comp-2's and get the road hazard protection.

Vik888 06-18-2012 04:25 PM

After the OEM Conti's ran out when I took delivery, I switched to the PS2 .. night/day difference. Don't plan to run anything else since my life is on the line. The reviews on the SS's are amazing .. can't imagine a tire better than the PS2, yet it is .. and it costs the same. Go figure.

Originally Posted by MB4tronic (Post 5245363)
I've been replacing my tires one by one with the oem conti's but I know the ones you are mentioning are much better.. the oem conti's are rated like 6/10, pretty low all around on tirerack. I just replaced my two backs with 70% tires for $120 installed, so it's hard to want to buy new tires if I can keep on finding the conti's used. I got the last two from one of the guys in Irvine for $20 a tire..

I was pricing out new ones and I was impressed and read a bunch of positive reviews on the new BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2.. I would definitely throw these into the mix.. in a few months when some more money rolls in I'm going to try the Comp-2's and get the road hazard protection.

WEBSRFR 06-18-2012 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Vik888 (Post 5245528)
After the OEM Conti's ran out when I took delivery, I switched to the PS2 .. night/day difference. Don't plan to run anything else since my life is on the line. The reviews on the SS's are amazing .. can't imagine a tire better than the PS2, yet it is .. and it costs the same. Go figure.

How would PS2 compare with Conti DWS?

Vik888 06-19-2012 01:13 AM

Are the DWS the ones that came with my car? If so, the traction was horrible .. wet or dry. The road noise was worse. They were bald in 10k miles. The PS2's last me about 13k miles and I've been told the PSS will last me about 15k.

I've driven the PS2's in heavy rain and I've driven through some pretty decent puddles and you get the "sound" of hydroplaning, but you never really lose directional control at all.

I do go through tires faster because I have a heavy foot and enjoy spirited driving. The Conti's broke traction ALL THE TIME. I can take a 25mph ramp at nearly 65mph without even a hint of a chirp from the PS2's. If I had the Conti's I'd be in the dirt.

Originally Posted by WEBSRFR (Post 5246139)

Vik888 06-19-2012 01:14 AM

Anyway, just got the PSS, $1165.00 out the door. Same price I paid for the PS2's. Couldn't turn that down.

_AMG_ 06-20-2012 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Vik888 (Post 5246257)
Anyway, just got the PSS, $1165.00 out the door. Same price I paid for the PS2's. Couldn't turn that down.

Nice! You are going to be very happy with these tires. :D

irondad 06-20-2012 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by WEBSRFR (Post 5246139)

They don't. PS2's are summer tires and DWS are all-season.
You can compare PS2's or Super Sports to the DW, which is also a summer tire.

I've had them all and for me it's the Super Sport #1 and DW a close #1. Look here for comparison: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ll&sortValue=0

ozusa 06-20-2012 09:33 PM

No, your car did not come with Conti DWS...

Originally Posted by Vik888 (Post 5246254)
Are the DWS the ones that came with my car? If so, the traction was horrible .. wet or dry. The road noise was worse. They were bald in 10k miles. The PS2's last me about 13k miles and I've been told the PSS will last me about 15k.

I've driven the PS2's in heavy rain and I've driven through some pretty decent puddles and you get the "sound" of hydroplaning, but you never really lose directional control at all.

I do go through tires faster because I have a heavy foot and enjoy spirited driving. The Conti's broke traction ALL THE TIME. I can take a 25mph ramp at nearly 65mph without even a hint of a chirp from the PS2's. If I had the Conti's I'd be in the dirt.

The DWS are Conti, but they are not the Contis that came as standard. (DWS = Dry-Wet-Snow) They are a great 4-season tire for areas that could actually use 4-season tires. I have a set and I am really happy with them. I do not need the ultimate in Summer traction and I do not want to store a set of tires for Winter. I don't feel like I am missing out on anything in the dry and in rain and snow I feel I am ahead of the game.

I run Michelin on my Honda Ridgeline, so I am not fixated on Conti.