E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Audio failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 07:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E-500
Audio failure

I was installing a Kicker Amp IX1000.1 and for audio input I had wires drawn from rear stock subwoofer. (It always worked for me with my Sony amplifier). I made a mistake when connecting the input wire. Instead of connecting the audio to the Amp input I connected the audio to Amp output. When I did it the audio volume went blank. CD Player/radio and everything else appears to work. But no audio.

Mercedes dealer charged me $170 to diagnose and said they could not find the problem. Took it to another mercedes dealer and he charged another hour labor and could not find the problem. At least the second dealer flashed the system and still no audio. Now they want rip the carpeting, pull out the wires and see what went wrong. Is it worth it?

I cant believe connecting wires drawn from rear speaker to amp output should kill Audio forever and two dealers were not able to diagnose.

Can anyone please help me diagnose this?
Old 06-25-2012, 09:42 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Have you checked the fuses?
Old 06-25-2012, 10:11 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 S550 4matic
Tried resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery? This is why you disconnect the battery when doing anything on the electrical system. By connecting the amp output (which I assume is a 1000w amp by the model number) to the subwoofer terminals, you likely shot that 1000w back into the amplifier on it's output side. I'll bet money your factory amp is toast.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E-500
Originally Posted by jcat
Tried resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery? This is why you disconnect the battery when doing anything on the electrical system. By connecting the amp output (which I assume is a 1000w amp by the model number) to the subwoofer terminals, you likely shot that 1000w back into the amplifier on it's output side. I'll bet money your factory amp is toast.
Yes, that's what I am thinking too. The AGW is located under the C-Pillar in the trunk. It is hard to reach and I dont even know how to disconnect it.

I have checked all fuses. Apart from documented fuses, there are also fuses all over and around the car. We only know three areas where fuses are installed. (Hood, driver side dash, rear drive side trunk). But I found fuses near the battery. Sigh... Why cant they place all the darn fuses in one place?