MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   Will you buy a Mercedes Again? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/453081-will-you-buy-mercedes-again.html)

hyperion667 05-16-2014 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach (Post 6043949)
Owned my car out of warranty completely without an aftermarket warranty and I've been fine.

you've been lucky

N_Jay 05-16-2014 11:26 AM

Our CPO warranty is up and we just barely broke even. (In reality probably lost money because we could have had the couple of things fixed either under the original warranty, or less expensively at an indy shop.

My GL has an aftermarket warranty because of all the scare stories here.
If I can get them to replace a Keyless-Go door or two and the oil-cooler seals, I will do OK, but we are 1/3 of the way through the 4 year 48K mile warranty and so far have not filed anything.
I am almost hoping for something like an leaking steering rack just so it was not wasted money.

Thanks you guys, because these are the first two extended warranties I have EVERY bought, and you helped confirm my other 100's of decisions.

rediesel 05-16-2014 01:50 PM

I doubt simulated testing is out never to return. More likely it is being appropiately used as a development precursor to extensive real world testing; rather than an end-all be-all.

Old school testing

I feel MB has been producing a relialbe quality product. I bought my 06 W211 new and have only had minor issues with it. It's slept outside for all but the first year and a half, and I don't baby it. I was a little worried when the warranty expired, however; now I'm very comforatble owning it without a warranty. I have the dealer service it when necessary and do some DIY maintainance (when I think it will be fun and rewarding). Spend about a grand a year on it.

MB with airmatic/hydraulic/active suspensions as well as any AMG cost more to maintain.

Buelligan 05-16-2014 03:26 PM

I love the capabilities of my 2005 E500, but it's the only car I've ever had that's ever left me stranded. The problems I've had to deal with are ridiculous (one time the shift rod came off!) to the usual issues with any car (CPS). But the CPS in my 23 year old GMC truck is still working.

There is no way I'd ever get another Mercedes. The dealers are crooks and my particular car has issues I shouldn't have to deal with. So far the only really good thing about owning this car was becoming a member of this excellent forum.

pinebaron 05-16-2014 04:52 PM

Certainly and would get another in a heartbeat however need to put a few more miles on this one; done only 40k miles since I took delivery of the new car June end 2007 (ordered in Feb 2007). Zero problems really except had an alternator/battery replaced under warranty in the first year. Regularly serviced at CHMB NJ, has had 2X more oil changes than miles dictated. I did not purchase an extended warranty nor an aftermarket warranty. I spent more than $18k on suspension, audio and wheel/tire upgrades hence have at least $63k + $18k = $81K in it, I'm still happy. I may need a new suv next year when we relocate to the NW (will be driving frequently to Whistler BC from Blaine WA), had my current Ford Expedition 99 since Nov 98 and still going strong (well after I spent $10k on a new engine and other fixes last year); darn I hate to let go of things.

Glyn M Ruck 05-16-2014 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by rediesel (Post 6044139)
I doubt simulated testing is out never to return. More likely it is being appropiately used as a development precursor to extensive real world testing; rather than an end-all be-all.

I agree. When they can achieve true correlaton with "on the road" there is no reason not to simulate. That has not been achieved as yet.

llcd 05-17-2014 12:21 AM

Yes I will get another one..

I own a Toyota that has 200,000 + miles and also a Mercedes that has 140,000 miles. I just realized that my Mercedes will never be as reliable as my Toyota and my Toyota will never be as luxurious and beautiful as my Mercedes.

LILBENZ230 05-17-2014 01:41 PM

I owned a W203 C-class from the time it had 25,000 miles at 3 years of age until it was 8 years old and had almost 150,000. The most expensive thing to happen was the A/C compressor failure, but otherwise it was mostly just maintenance. I bought another.. and another.. and hopefully more to come.

AMGAffalterbach 05-18-2014 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by llcd (Post 6044766)
I own a Toyota that has 200,000 + miles and also a Mercedes that has 140,000 miles. I just realized that my Mercedes will never be as reliable as my Toyota and my Toyota will never be as luxurious and beautiful as my Mercedes.

The interesting thing is that the Toyota will last that 200,000 miles without many issues because they're meant to be point A to point B machines and they do that very well. The Mercedes may last 2x as long as that while still feeling almost new, but due to its inherent complexity it will require a lot more repairs in comparison along the way.

Honcho 05-18-2014 09:50 PM

Really? We're actually going to compare a Toyota to a Mercedes-Benz? May as well compare a Gulfstream 650 to a Cesna 172.

(First thought was the space shuttle in place of the Gulfstream, but I'm being more realistic.)
:-)

AMGAffalterbach 05-18-2014 09:54 PM

My point is that they are built for very different purposes with inherent weaknesses. So yes in that respect it does make sense to compare them. But going along with the aircraft motif, even more outlandish, Mercedes are like the space shuttle that are expensive and powerful, and will take you millions to get to the moon. Toyotas are like crop dusters air planes, small, simple and do their mundane job over and over without issue.

Glyn M Ruck 05-19-2014 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach (Post 6046156)
The interesting thing is that the Toyota will last that 200,000 miles without many issues because they're meant to be point A to point B machines and they do that very well. The Mercedes may last 2x as long as that while still feeling almost new, but due to its inherent complexity it will require a lot more repairs in comparison along the way.

+1^. Toyotas were reliable because they were basic. eg old 21R engine. Almost agricultural. As Toyotas have become more complex so they have had a lot more issues.

CaptMike 05-19-2014 11:12 PM

Never

Fictivision 05-20-2014 07:34 AM

Im from Norway and right now I own 2 mercedes cars,one I drive as privite and the otherone is my work car,a taxi.As privite I will always drive an Mercedes,I just cant see myself driving anything else,Im afraid if I buy something else that im gonna get dissapointed and get bitter cause I didnt buy Mercedes.Unfortunutly Mercedes is no longer anything more special then some other brands that produce luxury cars,therfore Im really in doubt if im gonna have an Mercedes as a work car next time.

Ben_Caron 06-08-2015 04:05 PM

If I ever do, (1) it will be a flagship product built in Germany, not in Alabama or Hungary, and (2) it will not be a new model in its first year of commercialization!

My 2007 GL450 carries both these sins above and despite having been maintained better than any other car I've ever owned, its horrendous reliability has turned this truck into a huge disappointment for me.
With three kids and two dogs, I need a 3-row SUV with a usable and comfortable 3rd row. At this point, I'm considering the Buick Enclave, the Dodge Durango and the Nissan Armada. Yeah, I know, GM and Dodge ain't that reliable either, and Nissan is not Lexus, but there is just no way they can be as bad as this expensive, unreliable, poorly-built lemon sitting in my garage right now...

ChristopherT 06-22-2015 11:59 AM

Never Never Never

I bought a 2007 320E that had the oil cooler replaced by a certified MB mechanic. Car had swirl motor die and go into limp mode. In trouble shooting found air filters as dirty as I've ever seen in a car ever (I'm 53 with 6 cars and have worked on cars for 40 years). MB tech didn't replace these? After changing out the filters the car was blowing so much oil out of the crankcase it was impossible to keep running the car.

Even though I was told by 3 certified mechanics that it could not be the issue I removed teh turbo and found that the exhaust was blowing into the oil line. I've now replaced (major pain in the ass because of poor design) and no more oil blow by. The car still does not run right because I'm still working on getting the resistance right to bypass the swirl motor. Computer codes are worthless, and why does it not allow the turbo to run just because a redundant piece of polution control doesn't work. Crappy engineering (I'm an Engineer). Designed to send to back to the dealer so they can make money on service. Parts are not available and take weeks to get too.

My CTS is hard to work on, but way better documentation and much more mechanic friendly.

Fool me once. Never twice.:smash::smash:

burgca 06-23-2015 06:00 AM

I own a 1990 Honda Accord bought new no real work brakes, tires, radiator finally went, and just normal service with a little over 185k miles, and repainted. 2000 Lexus Rx300 bought new, Transmission replaced cost $6k(big complaint with early RX), now driveshaft failure cost around 1k to fix vehicle has 255k miles. 1997 S500 coupe bought used only issues one engine coil, interior temp sensor motor, and driver side mirror wires, brakes and tires, and no other issues. CLK 430 replaced hydraulic cylinders (one was leaking and with age replaced all), and hydraulic hose, brakes and tires, and no other issues. 2005 E320 replaced Brakes and rotors, tires, need to paint both bumpers, otherwise no issues.

Every car will cost something in maintenance and with more electronics big issues can occur outside of the engine and transmission. It all comes down to what are you willing to spend to maintain the current money pit, or what to spend to buy new money pit? The question I always ask is can I buy the same type of car+2 years for the cost of the maintenance? If the answer is no it's normally cheaper to keep (unless major issue occurs in 2 consecutive years).

Make a budget for maintenance and if the car exceeds the target it is time to move on.

buklae620 06-23-2015 11:29 PM

Yes, I'd buy another Mercedes. My current 2005 C230 is about to break 186,000 miles. I purchased it in September 2010 with 76,600 on the odometer.

My moms 2011 C300 was purchased in Feb. 2012 with 11,000 miles. She is on the verge of breaking 71,000 miles.

Both cars are WAY out of warranty. I maintain both cars with my own hands and tools. Zero problems on both cars aside from regular maintenance (brakes, tires, oil changes, air filter, etc)

I'm hoping to break the 200,000 mile mark with mine, and my Mom is pretty adamant about keeping her C300 for the long term even though I keep trying to convince her to get into a E-class or ML SUV

N_Jay 06-24-2015 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck (Post 6046587)
+1^. Toyotas were reliable because they were basic. eg old 21R engine. Almost agricultural. As Toyotas have become more complex so they have had a lot more issues.

Holy Sh*t, have not seen anyone mention the 21R since I built my '71 Celica.
I could not afford a 21R so had to build my 18R to keep the car under the 2000CC class line so I could clean up against 1600 cars. ;)

P.S. I intend to replace our 07 E350 with the newest 4Cyl diesel E-series I can afford when it decides to cost more in repairs than it is worth.

Heatwave 06-24-2015 06:15 PM

We have two MBs right now ... both Bremen-built. Had other MBs before. I intend never to have any car other than an MB.

Gersh320 06-29-2015 09:03 PM

Of course! Nothing is as safe or feels as great as a Mercedes-Benz. I still have my 2003 W211 with 152k. Great reliability. Now leasing my third MB, currently 2015 X166 diesel.

N_Jay 06-29-2015 09:22 PM

Here is the test. (Not MB specific, but certainly applies to most modern German cars).
I am rebuilding a 2000 Audi A6 Quattro with parts from a 2002 A6 Parts car.
Not a single bolt I have found is rusted, seized, or stuck.
Show me a 15 or 13 year old Japanese car (even their high lines) that does not show significant surface rusting underneath and probably would fight you to remove any of the underside exposed fasteners.

The Thomas J 07-01-2015 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach (Post 6046156)

The cars yes...the trucks/suvs cost more on average. I traded in my 05' 4runner 6 months ago with 150,000 trouble free miles because it developed a $3000 emission problem that could have been solved with a $200 bypass but at that point since I wasn't the one who drove the truck it would be in my best interests to trade it in. The biggest re-occurring maintenance isue I had with the 4runner was the brakes.We got 75,000 miles out of the orginal brakes than It went through brakes every 15,000 to 20,000 miles. The 4 piston calipers on the front were replaced twice.

The Thomas J 07-01-2015 10:46 AM

Yes I would. As long as I can afford to do so. I want to upgrade to an S class.

IMIEIW 07-03-2015 12:11 PM

Buy another? Had a W210 with 150K miles and except for the miles and a few minor rust spots she never let me down. I figured it was time for an upgrade. Since the first day I've had my W211 E550 its been one thing after the other. I'm ready to put this one up for sale and try to find a nice W210 AMG. Every part I have needed has been in the hundreds of $$$$ and the light at the end of the tunnel is an on coming freight train