E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

How to remove the "flat spring" for fan shroud?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 10:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2024 GLE450 & 2022 CLS450
How to remove the "flat spring" for fan shroud?

Getting ready to replace the water pump in my 2005 E500. I have the Star Service DVD for the W211 model and am following the instructions from the DVD. But the instructions are vague when it comes to removing the "flat springs" for the fan shroud.

I've attached a pic of the item in question. I know the bolts circled in green have to be removed, then the "flat spring" (indicated by red arrows) comes out.

How exactly does one remove the flat spring? Do you pry up from the "bolt" side or do you pry up from the opposite side? I see there's a small square cut-out in the middle. Does that have to be manipulated in some way?

Sorry for the silly questions, but I'm just not seeing how these darn things come out! Would rather do it right the first time and not break them. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails How to remove the "flat spring" for fan shroud?-fan-mount-pic-w211.jpg  
Old 07-06-2012, 07:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E320CDI
See if this helps. It is for a 320 CDI but I think it addresses what you are looking for.
Attached Files
Old 07-08-2012, 08:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2024 GLE450 & 2022 CLS450
Thanks, that helps somewhat. The instructions listed in the .pdf say:

"Pull out the 2 flat springs, left and right, on either side of the fan shroud. Insert small screwdriver through clip and lift up gently to prevent dropping."

For those out there who have done this.....I assume you simply pry the clips straight up? Is there a lot of force needed to get them out? Does it matter if you pry them up from one side or the other?