E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Help! E320 jerking during acceleration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E280 CDi Sport Tiptronic
daytona77... you are right - I took the cover off the engine and could see the turbo. At no time in any literature (engine specs, Mercedes info etc.) had I seen a reference to turbo, it was one of the reasons I went for a 3l engine thinking it had no turbo.
So based on that I guess a lot of the comments earlier in this thread and others are applicable so I am off to the garage to get their opion on things like MAF's etc. - Thanks
Old 12-19-2014, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E-Class 320 CDI Sport
Someone else has just mentioned to me they saw this thread, and i suddenly realised I never posted a final follow up...

Mid 2014, I left my E320 CDi (2006) with the Merc service centre again and let them fiddle with it for a couple of days. Finally they got it to do the jerking and shuddering thing - they immediately put on the computer and discovered it's the Turbo chip that's blown (they explained technically exactly what's busted but I don't recall right now).

Downside is that it's about 1,500 GBP to replace. On a car that's worth about 5,5k that's a little steep - so I've not done it yet, and I may never fix it.

But at least I now know what it is. So If you are suffering the same symptoms get the engineers to check the Turbo chip!

-Jar
Old 01-05-2015, 06:18 AM

ml320cdi
Originally Posted by Hedgerow
Hi, using this thread as it appears close to my problem

Car is 2007 E280 CDi Sport (7 speed auto) and it has no turbo

Only very occassionaly if I accelerate fairly hard it will suddenly start juddering and if I don't lift the accelerater quick enough the engine goes into a "limp mode" and will not go beyond 1500 revs although it will slowly accelerate through the gears. If i select a lower gear then the engine will rev up to match the speed/gear but will then drop down to 1500 revs with the car slowing.
The garage has not found any error code and have no suggestions other than to start replacing parts until it is fixed.

More recently the juddering has started to happen when the car is crawling in traffic and the engine is at around 1200-1400 revs

Any ideas?
Thanks
Exactly my problem. but the car is different - W164 320CDI.

What I ve done so far:
checked and refurbished / renewed turbo;
checked turbo actuator;
replaced exhaust back pressure sensor part# 0071534328

Now can't drive more than 5 kms before limp again.
When i restart the car, no limp for some time, and then again. usually it happens after low-rew driving, and then kicking dow and accelerating, especially crazy when overtaking.

So my next try is Port inlet shut off motor, same symptoms described in many forums, like http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engin...off-motor.html and here how-to replace http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/sh...ad.php?t=93369
Old 01-10-2015, 07:21 AM

ml320cdi
Update.

Shutoff motor seems fine and working appropriately.

I am totally desperate. What else could be faulty?
Faults that come out point to the exhaust pressure sensor, but that is installed brand new OEM.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:14 PM

a class 160 cdi
A class juddering at start or randomly at other times, even coming to halt or loss of

A class juddering at start or randomly at other times, even coming to halt or loss of power at times:
I got the car serviced with change of fuel filter, oil filter, air filter and oil. this seems to have cured it, early days yet but i could immediately see the positive feeling . The car has much more power and efficiency, smooth ride, engine quiet and now behaves like new. the best £75 spent £50 parts and £25 labour. WELL EXCITED.

Last edited by prad123rita; 01-13-2016 at 07:18 PM. Reason: better explanation
Old 05-06-2016, 10:47 PM

E280cdi W211
Hi all

I also have all the above problem of jerking and suddenly no power on acceleration... Computer diagnostic seems not to find any error... however as i when from 1 workshop to another i finally find 1 that have experienced similar problem but on an M-Class.

The only thing that needs to change is the SERVO-MOTOR (M55) and also found out some leak in 1 of the intercooler hose. Change both and all the problem gone.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:55 PM

2005 E320, 2006 E320CDI, 1987 560SL
I have a 2006 E320CDI and experiencing the jerking/bucking during moderate acceleration in the 20-40MPH range. When I let off the throttle, the problem goes away and then I am able to accelerate in a mild fashion.

I have had this issue for quite some time & would like to understand the problem. I am torn between thinking it is a transmission shift issue, and a turbo issue. It is hard for me to fathom how an intermittent turbo failure could cause such strong bucking/jerking.

Could someone please explain to me what a turbo could do cause such extreme behaviour? It almost feels like someone is intermittently shutting off the engine

Thanks in advance!

Brian
Old 09-19-2016, 01:48 AM

03 E500
Your post

Did you ever resolve your shifting issue?

Old 01-10-2018, 07:07 PM

Cls350 grand
Originally Posted by briandownunda
I have a 2006 E320CDI and experiencing the jerking/bucking during moderate acceleration in the 20-40MPH range. When I let off the throttle, the problem goes away and then I am able to accelerate in a mild fashion.

I have had this issue for quite some time & would like to understand the problem. I am torn between thinking it is a transmission shift issue, and a turbo issue. It is hard for me to fathom how an intermittent turbo failure could cause such strong bucking/jerking.

Could someone please explain to me what a turbo could do cause such extreme behaviour? It almost feels like someone is intermittently shutting off the engine

Thanks in advance!

Brian
if you change the two orange seals that are connected to pipes near your turbo.. the problem should go away..
Old 01-11-2018, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by Jaruzel
Hi All,

I've got a problem that my local Mercedes service centre can't seem to solve.

Car:
Feb '06 E320 CDI Sport

Problem:
When accelerating fairly aggressively (i.e. from standstill, or merging into traffic) the car accelerates to about 35-40mph / 3,000rpm and then suddenly starts to shudder/jerk as if I'm stamping on the brakes. If I continue to try to accelerate it will do this jerk-jerk-jerk thing several times and then slow down. At this point I cannot accelerate beyond 30 mph, and I have no kick down at all. To fix it, I have to turn the car off, and then back on again.

I've had this happen several times on fast roads, and it's quite scary when it does. However, it doesn't happen ALL the time; it seems totally random. I can go for days without it happening, and then have it happen several times in one day.

The Mercedes service centre have had a look (allegedly) and cannot find a fault - all they could offer was a recalibration of the gear box (?) which probably wouldn't fix it (their words).

Does anyone have any ideas what this might be? I've spent the past few months drilling Google for possible solutions but have come up with nothing.

Thanks in advance.

-Jar
Sounds very much like a transmission issue. When was the last time you had your ATF fluid and filter changed? If it were me and my car did this, I'd get the ATF changed immediately. These 722.9 transmissions are prone to failure when not properly serviced. This IS a DIY item, as long as you are handy!
Old 03-23-2018, 09:57 AM

c 320 cdi
Originally Posted by Hedgerow
Hi, using this thread as it appears close to my problem

Car is 2007 E280 CDi Sport (7 speed auto) and it has no turbo

Only very occassionaly if I accelerate fairly hard it will suddenly start juddering and if I don't lift the accelerater quick enough the engine goes into a "limp mode" and will not go beyond 1500 revs although it will slowly accelerate through the gears. If i select a lower gear then the engine will rev up to match the speed/gear but will then drop down to 1500 revs with the car slowing.
The garage has not found any error code and have no suggestions other than to start replacing parts until it is fixed.

More recently the juddering has started to happen when the car is crawling in traffic and the engine is at around 1200-1400 revs

Any ideas?
Thanks
Hi I have the same problem, my mechanic told me that's turbo. I don't believe because I changed last year. Can you help how you fix the problem?
Old 10-07-2019, 04:06 AM

e320
hi, may I ask if you sorted your problem as I have the exact same problem with my 2007 e320 cdi
thanks
Old 10-07-2019, 12:02 PM

03 E500
Trans shift bucking / Jerking

Fixed this issue by draining trans fluid. Replacing trans electrical connector, conductor plate, and all shift solenoids.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:34 AM

W211 E280
Check O2 sensor

Check your o2 sensors
Old 07-12-2021, 12:11 PM

C320
Had this issue

Originally Posted by Jaruzel
Hi All,

I've got a problem that my local Mercedes service centre can't seem to solve.

Car:
Feb '06 E320 CDI Sport

Problem:
When accelerating fairly aggressively (i.e. from standstill, or merging into traffic) the car accelerates to about 35-40mph / 3,000rpm and then suddenly starts to shudder/jerk as if I'm stamping on the brakes. If I continue to try to accelerate it will do this jerk-jerk-jerk thing several times and then slow down. At this point I cannot accelerate beyond 30 mph, and I have no kick down at all. To fix it, I have to turn the car off, and then back on again.

I've had this happen several times on fast roads, and it's quite scary when it does. However, it doesn't happen ALL the time; it seems totally random. I can go for days without it happening, and then have it happen several times in one day.

The Mercedes service centre have had a look (allegedly) and cannot find a fault - all they could offer was a recalibration of the gear box (?) which probably wouldn't fix it (their words).

Does anyone have any ideas what this might be? I've spent the past few months drilling Google for possible solutions but have come up with nothing.

Thanks in advance.

-Jar
I I have recently had this issue , on mine it turned out to be low engine oil level , was low 2L , this was giving me all the symptoms described in sport, but then progressed into C mode and struggled to reach 2000rpm or change gear .
I topped up oil and gently ran forran miles with spluttering and Jerking gradually eased and felt blocked around the 3000rpm mark as said on thread, so I took out the next day after checking oil again , this time put straight into sport mode from cold and have gently pushed through what I believe is either a oil blockage or air in pipe , NO MO JERKING or surging is back to being the awesome full power it should be and smooth , hope this helps