E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Does the brand of #2 diesel matter to 07 E320 Bluetec?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E320 bluetec
Does the brand of #2 diesel matter to 07 E320 Bluetec?

Got a 2007 E320 Bluetec with 90k miles, and gas mileage went from 35 to 25 a couple months ago due to clogged fuel and air filter. After replacing those at the dealer (so retardedly expensive considering K&N air filter was 2$ more each), the mileage barely has gotten back upto the 33-35 average on the highway. Now on trips struggling to get 30mpg and thats driving eco!

Could it be the kind of diesel stations i been going to? Lately just been using the cheap stuff like fred meyer, arco, or the local usa gas diesel, or sometimes 76, but would it just be better and spend the extra 10 cents to get chevron or shell?

Do they have better additives in it just like they put in the gas? Or is #2 diesal all the same? Let me know thanks
Old 07-31-2012, 05:24 AM

E270CDi
diesel fuels

When my E220 CDi W212 had the injector failure at 11000 + kms recently and was towed to dealer - they said "we need to talk to you about your fuel. I asked why and they said their tests had shown up "poor grade diesel in tank"

Luckily for me I was ale to say - well ask the MB dealer I purchased vehicle from "yesterday" as I am still on the tank of fuel that came with the car !

End of questions on fuel !! However - they did say the only fuel to use (in Australia) was "Caltex Vortex Premium Diesel fuel" as it was the only one that fully met the Euro Specs that MB recommend. I always used Vortex in my E270CDi and never had a problem until I filled with another fuel where vortex was not available. Immediately lost some power until I ran that tank down and refuelled with Caltex Vortex again. So " there are fuels and there are fuels !
Old 07-31-2012, 10:37 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
From the USA perspective, our fuel standards are better regulated than most countries.

In any event, go back to all the places where you fuel and look at the pump spec tag for the diesel you purchased.

I believe they will be all the same. Then find a station that sells "off road" diesel and look at that tag---yep the same as "on road" the only difference is the color(red) and the missing road tax.

Remember diesel is not refined in every state. We have national minimum standards. It's the same diesel in Florida as Hawaii. Calif may be different, but the fuel in the state is all the same.

I believe the issues come about because of the chemical characteristics of diesel. That is why I buy all my diesel at truck stops-----volume vs low volume. However the fuel was made to the same spec!!
Old 09-08-2012, 08:11 PM

E500
Diesel is basically diesel, no diff additives like you will find in gasoline. I own a shell station, and while we are obligated under contract to purchase Shell gasoline, we are not obligated to purchase "shell diesel."

Although we do order from the same supplier everytime, strikingly a good 80% of the time we receive "chevron branded diesel"

Tank condition and maintanence of equipment may also have something to do with quaility. If you are fueling your mercedes at a shotty run down gas station to save 3 cents per gallon, you will most likely get what you pay for. Same fuel, poorly maintained station.

But to end my rant, Diesel fuel is basic fuel, dont be fooled by chevron and shell, on diesel products, (gasoline is a diff story).

And although I have had this conversation many times with my buddy who drives a duramax, he still refuses to believe.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:15 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Heh, I believe it Jmorlan...the Mobil I fill up at has a sticker on the diesel pump that says "NOT A MOBIL PRODUCT" on it....even though the pump has all the MOBIL livery.

Originally Posted by Jmorlan
But to end my rant, Diesel fuel is basic fuel, dont be fooled by chevron and shell, on diesel products, (gasoline is a diff story).

And although I have had this conversation many times with my buddy who drives a duramax, he still refuses to believe.