E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

A few weekend mods...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
A few weekend mods...

I've had a slew of w211 items that have been piling up in my garage for the past few months and this weekend I was finally able to install a few:

- Badgeless Front Grille
- Rear AMG-style Spoiler
- Chrome/Carbon Fiber-style Door Pins (front)
- Tinted Tails

I ran out of time so I a few items will have to wait:

- DDM 35w 5000k HiDs (low-beams and fogs)
- Rear Door Pins -- didn't have time to take the door panels off (i'm not going to break the current pins to install)
- AMG front bumper rep from Suvneer

Door Pins - The pictures are locked and unlocked. My goal was to have them sit flush when locked and I achieved that. Purchased from JBSpeed here on MBWorld.

Tails - Painted by Scott's Paint & Performance. There are a few daytime brake light pics and one of the lights at night. As you can see the light is still very visible. On a side note, I wish the rear light assembly wasn't one piece. I'd love to switch out the turn signal bulbs for some chrome amber bulbs to get rid of the egg yolk look.
Attached Thumbnails A few weekend mods...-1.jpg   A few weekend mods...-2.jpg   A few weekend mods...-3.jpg   A few weekend mods...-6.jpg   A few weekend mods...-4.jpg  

A few weekend mods...-5.jpg  

Last edited by mhass350; 08-06-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:14 PM

a few more photos...

Attached Thumbnails A few weekend mods...-7.jpg   A few weekend mods...-8.jpg   A few weekend mods...-9.jpg   A few weekend mods...-10.jpg   A few weekend mods...-11.jpg  

A few weekend mods...-12.jpg  
Old 08-06-2012, 07:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E63

Extremely clean mods! Good job man.

I like the look of the tails with the white, it flows with the chrome.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E500
Why go for a black grille and have shiny fog light trims?

Why have blacked out tail lights and chrome exhaust tips and trim on the trunk?

I would have thought that you need more black to complete the look?

Nice clean car ....too Gangsta Rap for me though.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by fila0220
I like the look of the tails with the white, it flows with the chrome.
Thanks.

I did a bunch of image searching and paint-shop pro renditions while trying to decide on whether to go full tint or leave the reverse alone. In the end I decided that with the amount of chrome running around the car (front/rear bumper, side molding, trunk lid, door handles, headlamp housings -- none of which I plan to remove) it was better to leave the reverse portion clear to help with the overall tone I was going for. I think I achieved that.

I have to admit I was a little nervous when I sent them out to be painted but I am very happy with the result.

Last edited by mhass350; 08-08-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: font size
Old 08-09-2012, 10:55 AM

2008 E550
Originally Posted by bkhk
Why go for a black grille and have shiny fog light trims?

Why have blacked out tail lights and chrome exhaust tips and trim on the trunk?

I would have thought that you need more black to complete the look?

Nice clean car ....too Gangsta Rap for me though.
You are telling him to black out the entire car, yet you are also saying its too gangsta rap?

Not sure when this plastidip fad got into everyone's head.. the full blacked out look was cool in the late 80's when Robocop had it on the ford taurus police car, but its 2012 and putting a $2000 plastic wrap or plastic coat on your $30-120k car is not anything to write home about.. for commercial purposes great..

I don't see what the problem is in having a little bit of chrome? This car is one of the few cars with chrome strips on the side and on the bumpers, it's pretty hard to get rid of all of it.. I even noticed my window moldings are smoked versus chrome on my E550 because of the sport package, otherwise those would be chrome too.

There is nothing wrong with a little chome, it's pretty cheap/ghetto/ gansta to black it out.. mostly b/c you are just asking to be pulled over when you violate the laws, tinting your tails, etc.. I liked the whole tinted tails look but I'd rather have someone be able to see my taillights then look cool.. function over looks as I get older.. same crap with having on my front plate.. who cares? why ask for more trouble by not having it on.. just another thing to have to do a fix it ticket for or talk to the cop about.. I have a note for my tint, but never used it..
Old 08-09-2012, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by MB4tronic
You are telling him to black out the entire car, yet you are also saying its too gangsta rap?

I was confused by this too...

Originally Posted by MB4tronic
.....mostly b/c you are just asking to be pulled over when you violate the laws, tinting your tails, etc.. I liked the whole tinted tails look but I'd rather have someone be able to see my taillights then look cool.. function over looks as I get older...

The assumption that "tinting your tailights violates the law" is not entirely accurate.

To be more accurate I would say that "changing your visible light output (front or rear) violates the law".

Granted, if you decrease/diminish your rear light output by painting your tails with 3-coats of black house paint then yes, in this case, tinting your tails has resulted in violating the law... not to mention incredibly stupid.

This conversation can also be applied to modifying your headlights by tinting or swapping bulbs. Installing 20,000k HiDs low-beams would be considered illegal because you have altered your light output.

I would say, if you are considering this modification then (1) be sure to check your state laws, (2) do it right and (3) remember to keep yourself and those around you safe.

For those in Maryland:

Maryland Transportation Article
Title 22. Vehicle Laws -- Equipment of Vehicles
Subtitle 2. Lamps and other lighting equipment
(http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/mdcode/)

22-219. Signal lamps and signal devices
(a) Stoplights -- Any vehicle may be equipped with and, when required under the Maryland Vehicle Law, shall be equipped with a stop lamp or lamps on the rear of the vehicle, which:
(1) Shall display a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber, visible from a distance of not less than 300 feet to the rear in normal sunlight;
(2) Shall be actuated on application of the service (foot) brake; and
(3) May, but need not, be incorporated with one or more other rear lamps.

22-227. Special restrictions on lamps
(f) Color of lights on rear of vehicle. -- All lighting devices and reflectors mounted on the rear of any vehicle shall display or reflect a RED Color, except the Stoplight or Other Signal Device, which may be Red, Amber or Yellow, except that the light illuminating the Registration Plate shall be White and the light emitted by a Backup Lamp shall be White or Amber.

I read through all of Subtitle 2, among other pages, so that I could make an informed decision. And, after reading the laws available I believe that even with tinted lenses the lighting device displays a red color. FWIW, I didn't modify the high-mount (third) brake light. I do not read this law to mean that the most exterior plastic lenses are required to be red. Hell, my wife's 2012 Toyota Sienna SE minivan came with smoked tailights and many Lexus' have clear tails.

Perhaps my interpretation of this law is flawed and I guess time will tell; I drive past MPs every morning and afternoon heading onto the military installation for work.

Lastly, I am not trying to create an argument or hostile thread over (1) individual interpretation of written law or (2) whether or not its a stupid modifications. Most importatntly, I am not trying to get anyone (myself included) in trouble with the law or hurt.

The threads intent was to show one enthusiasts recent work to fellow enthusiasts.

Last edited by mhass350; 08-09-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:37 PM

2006 E500
Let me clarify then. Any black out mods, or most other mods are too gansta for me.

I like stock. Too many mods make it look like you bought a cheap used car and tricked it up. A nice stock car just looks like a classy car. Its personal taste I suppose, modded cars to me don't have any!

If you want to black it then black it. Halfway seems pointless to me.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:06 PM

2007 E350 /// AMG Sport Saks Fifth Avenue "Key to the Cure" Edition
Originally Posted by mhass350
Door Pins - The pictures are locked and unlocked. My goal was to have them sit flush when locked and I achieved that. Purchased from JBSpeed here on MBWorld.

I am looking to swap out my door pins and want them flush as well. My question is, with seemingly hundreds of different door pins available, how did you determine which ones to buy and how did you get them to sit flush?

I have an '07 E350, not sure if it would be any different than yours.

Thanks!

Last edited by asudevilboy80; 08-25-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by bkhk
Let me clarify then. Any black out mods, or most other mods are too gansta for me.

I like stock. Too many mods make it look like you bought a cheap used car and tricked it up. A nice stock car just looks like a classy car. Its personal taste I suppose, modded cars to me don't have any!

If you want to black it then black it. Halfway seems pointless to me.
I can respect that and if the styling I choose for my car is not your cup of tea, well, so be it.

Originally Posted by asudevilboy80
I am looking to swap out my door pins and want them flush as well. My question is, with seemingly hundreds of different door pins available, how did you determine which ones to buy and how did you get them to sit flush?

I have an '07 E350, not sure if it would be any different than yours.

Thanks!
I took a chance on a MBWorld Sponsor and it paid off -- I've purchased from JBSpeed before with good results so it wasn't a huge risk. The fronts just unscrew so they were easy, took 5-mins. I still haven't got to the rears because I want to do it right and take the door panel apart.

Last edited by mhass350; 08-25-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:57 PM

I took a chance on a MBWorld Sponsor and it paid off -- I've purchased from JBSpeed before with good results so it wasn't a huge risk. The fronts just unscrew so they were easy, took 5-mins. I still haven't got to the rears because I want to do it right and take the door panel apart.
I have been reading through the boards and I have seen two different methods: some write that the rears simply unscrew and you can screw the new ones on. Others write that you have to pull and pop off the rears, then they have to "twice pop" the rears to get them back on. So I have been trying to get more info and figure out which I have before I commit (although it seems relatively easy either way). Do you know which?

What is the advantage to taking the doors off? Is that necessary? I've just never taken the door panels off before so not even sure how to do it. Would you be able to take pictures of the process?
Old 08-25-2012, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by asudevilboy80
I have been reading through the boards and I have seen two different methods: some write that the rears simply unscrew and you can screw the new ones on. Others write that you have to pull and pop off the rears, then they have to "twice pop" the rears to get them back on. So I have been trying to get more info and figure out which I have before I commit (although it seems relatively easy either way). Do you know which?

What is the advantage to taking the doors off? Is that necessary? I've just never taken the door panels off before so not even sure how to do it. Would you be able to take pictures of the process?
To my knowledge, gained through forum research, the rears are press fit. So, sure you can twist the OEMs to break them off and then glue the new ones on. The risk in this method is breaking the locking mechanisms/arm and/or not being able to reach the post to install the new pin.

By taking the panels off there is no assurance that I won't have to twist and break the OEM pins and glue on the new. But I should have more control and a better chance to not break anything.

So, is it necessary to take the panels off, no. Is it more work, yes. You can go either method, there are plenty of people and reasons for and against.

When I get around to it will certainly take pictures and post them. It may not be for a few weeks though -- my son was born Monday so between him and my 18-month old daughter my "car-time" time is very limited.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:07 PM

To my knowledge, gained through forum research, the rears are press fit. So, sure you can twist the OEMs to break them off and then glue the new ones on. The risk in this method is breaking the locking mechanisms/arm and/or not being able to reach the post to install the new pin.

By taking the panels off there is no assurance that I won't have to twist and break the OEM pins and glue on the new. But I should have more control and a better chance to not break anything.

So, is it necessary to take the panels off, no. Is it more work, yes. You can go either method, there are plenty of people and reasons for and against.

When I get around to it will certainly take pictures and post them. It may not be for a few weeks though -- my son was born Monday so between him and my 18-month old daughter my "car-time" time is very limited.

Congrats on the new baby! I am in the exact same boat, my wife was Due yesterday...so for me its just a waiting game until the little nugget gets here (our first, a boy). So I'm probably a few weeks from being able to do it myself.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:16 AM

Got around to installing the rear door pins yesterday. Took just under an hour.

The genuine .pdf instructions previously posted on MBworld (https://mbworld.org/forums/2779134-post7.html) are good but they rely on too much assumption. For instance, they assume you now how to remove the ashtray.

So I've added a few pictures of the "unknown" or "trouble spots" that I had, hope they make it easier for the rest of you.

Trim behind armrest pops out from underneath:

SRS button pops from right side:

Two tabs hold the ashtray in, take a small flathead screwdriver and depress each tab and work out.

After these for 4-bolts are removed (all 30-torx head) and the 20-torx bolt near the lock mechanism is removed you can pry the door off.

It's held on with the standard interior trim clips.

I didn't use any tool, just my hands. I felt around and when i found a clip I worked my fingers around each side and gave a sharp tug. I was lucky and didn't break any clips. You can also buy a plastic pry tool.
**NOTE: I didn't remove the entire panel. I removed 3/4 of it as it was enough room to get to the door pin. I left the inner most portion attached. Also, you do not want to break the ribbon wire.**

The top of the door sits in a gutter style tab attached to the door. Simply lift up. There is a clip nearest the door pin, the rest will pop out more easily.

To remove the door pin from the door handle link (can't think of a better term) I took a razor knife and sliced it open longitudially. Then I could easily slide it off.

Then, put the l threaded end of the link back through the door pin hole and closed re-installed the panel.

After this, the new door pins just screw right on. They also screw off if you ever wanted to change them.

Locked:

Unlocked:

Like I said, you do not need to do it this way but I like knowing that I --or whoever owns the car next-- can change them out if desired.

Well worth an hour of my time.

Last edited by mhass350; 08-30-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:23 AM

2008 E350 4matic
Nice mods, very clean look! Amazing looking car, you did a great job! Whats next?