E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2003 E500 battery woes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500; 2000 SL500
2003 E500 battery woes

Hello all...I have a 2003 E500 that I replaced both batteries, now the lights and electrical work, but the car won't turn over. Turn the key=nothing.
I have read varying suggestions- need help with what might be keeping it from turning over- battery module, relay etc.
I thank you in advance for your ideas-
sledd
Old 08-20-2012, 11:14 AM

2003 E500; 2000 SL500
???

93 looks and not one reply?
Old 08-20-2012, 11:57 AM

CLS63
need much more information than this, when did this start happening, what do you think started this, do you have access to a SDS, could be a key, EIS, along with countless other issues.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:10 PM

2003 E500; 2000 SL500
Thanks for your reply; I have a world of problems going on with this car- rear SAM unit (no turn signals, back up lights, gas gauge etc; trans slipping and lugging (either water in the trans fluid, or leaky seal to the electrical trans brain) but since the car has been setting for a few months in my garage, the batteries went dead and the air suspension collapsed- my main short term concern is to get the car started, so the suspension will air up and I can drive it to a shop, I replaced both batteries, and now the lights and electrical components light up, but when I tuen the key I get nothing. I've read on here about a battery swith/relay/module but dont know where it is, or if this might be a problem or not. Just looking for some ideas that will help me get the car to start after replacing both batteries, so I can address the other issues. With the suspension collapsed, it would be difficult to tow and not scrape the front end in a serious fashion.
2003 E500 with 78000 miles; bought by me nearly new with only 1500 miles in July 2006.
Many thanks-
Old 08-21-2012, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
could be your crank position sensor. Starter may be dead? But if the car sat for a few months, not sure what else could have gone wrong. What codes are you getting on the dash?? Red battery visit workshop?? Do you have a multimeter to test the voltage to the car? Does the radio/lights work w/key in position 1? Car crank at all? Maybe bad gas you have in the tank. Might need to add some fresh gas.

I would at least drive/start up the car once a week and drive it around the block. Letting cars sit this long, things will go wrong.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E320 4matic Sedan
Does the key position alter what you see on the instrument panel?

When you put the key in the ignition and turn it to position 1, and then to position 2, do you get the various symbols lighting up as you would expect? Or doesn't it matter what position the key is in, and nothing lights up? In other words, does the car seem to even recognize there is a key inserted?

BTW, if it is not even cranking then fuel and CPS are not (yet) your issue.

Have you installed any non-factory electrical devices, such as after-market HID lights? If there is extra wiring, and if it has shorted out, you can get some weird results in other systems.

I know you said you have replaced batteries. Is the voltage >13v when you check them? I assume you do not hear a starter solenoid clicking at all when you try to crank?
Old 02-10-2014, 06:38 PM

Mercedes Benz E500 2005
Exclamation

Originally Posted by ozusa
When you put the key in the ignition and turn it to position 1, and then to position 2, do you get the various symbols lighting up as you would expect? Or doesn't it matter what position the key is in, and nothing lights up? In other words, does the car seem to even recognize there is a key inserted?

BTW, if it is not even cranking then fuel and CPS are not (yet) your issue.

Have you installed any non-factory electrical devices, such as after-market HID lights? If there is extra wiring, and if it has shorted out, you can get some weird results in other systems.

I know you said you have replaced batteries. Is the voltage >13v when you check them? I assume you do not hear a starter solenoid clicking at all when you try to crank?
Hi, I bought a salvage Benz E500 2005, the original crash was at the front driver side...the air compressor broked at the time of the crash..that was replaced...beside that no mayor problem..The car was at 2 diferent shops for body work....the car sat there for 5 months..never tried to start it...now that I replasec the rear battery..the car wont crank...the only noice i hear is a "click" just one "click"...PLZ HELP:nix:

Last edited by Servellon; 02-10-2014 at 06:40 PM. Reason: adding words