E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Transmission fluid leak between transfer case and transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic
Transmission fluid leak between transfer case and transmission

2008 E350 4MATIC 722.6 transmission, 54,000 miles. Did a flush yesterday. Drained and dropped the pan, put in new filter and gasket. Drained 3.4 L of fluid. Put in 5 L of fluid with car off. Noticed that about 1/4 L poured out in a thin stream from the weep hole in the gasket between the transmission and the transfer case. Is there a vent in the transmission or do I have a leaking seal? No drip marks on my garage floor before or after the service. The overfilled fluid got into the cavity between the transfer case and transmission somehow... Do I have a problem?

The flush was quite easy, btw. The easiest way is to pull the supply line going to the radiator by lifting up on the clip (it stays on the radiator) that holds the fitting in place. Pull the fitting straight out, but make sure to put a rag underneath as a small amount will spill out. Go to home depot and get some clear tubing that is 5/8" ID and slip that over the entire fitting at the end of the flexible supply hose, and route it under the car and into a milk jug. Worked great.

Now, is there a vent between the transfer case and transmission...or is my seal bad (would have to be real bad the way it poured out. Poured out quite fast.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2012, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E320CDI
If you drained out 3.4 quarts and put back in 5 quarts you have seriously overfilled the trans. Try siphoning off until you have it at the 25c mark on the dip stick, warm it up to operating and check the level and adjust as needed.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic
No, my fluid level is fine, between low and high at 80 C.

To flush the system as per WIS you put in 5 L, then pump out 3L, then put in 3L then pump out 3L, then fill it to proper level.

The initial 5L after the drop pan and drain is what caused the fluid to pour out of the weep hole in the gasket between the transfer case and transmission.

I'll call the dealer tomorrow, but was wondering if anybody might have any knowledge about this.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E500
I recently had something that was leaking around where the transmission pan was. From what I recall, it was located above and between the pan and transfer case. I had gone in for a power steering problem and the indy shop told me that I had a tranny leak...after I had literally had a transmission oil change the week before. Tech said that there's some seal/valve that usually leaks and that it usually gets missed. Since my warranty covered the repair, I didn't really question it.