E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

08 E550 transmission problems again!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 CLK550
08 E550 transmission problems again!!!

I purchased a 08 E550 4matic in February, 38K miles CPO. I now have 46K. About two months ago I developed a problem where the transmission appeared to pop out of gear while driving. Gear lever still in D but upon pressing the accelerator the engine just revs and that's it. I put it in neutral and then back to drive and it worked as normal. Check engine light came on. Took it in and was told the conductor plate was the problem, they changed it and off I go. About a month later same problem, this time I was told they dropped the transmission pan and found metal shavings and that I had an internal transmission problem. Mercedes replaced the transmission under warranty. Yesterday the exact same problem happened again. Car is now in shop. Needless to say I have no more faith in this car, can't imagine owing this car out of warranty. Just as soon as I pick it up I'm I trading it in. CPO is up April 2013. Upon researching I also found that the 7 speed transmission in the S class in not that dependable. I have a 08 C300 4matic that's been problem free but for how long. Thinking of a used CPO E63. Do they have a different Transmission and are they pretty much dependable?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Wow, that sucks !

Check the AMG W211 section, mucho problems with the E63 engine. Class action law suit in progress as well.