E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Bi-xenon replacement Help

Old 11-13-2012, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350
Bi-xenon replacement Help

Please help... My 03's e500 bi-xenon's started to flicker a little starting yesterday. I think it flickered twice already. I am afraid that it might die pretty soon. So my question is what should be replaced here most likely? ballast or the bulb? and what kind of xenon bulbs are recommended? The dealership in Vancouver might be too expensive and I am looking for alternative shops here in Vancouver or Richmond BC. Any recommendations? I just want to be prepared with all the details since we are getting less and less daylight now that winter is coming. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
How many miles do you have on these bulbs? Are they original to 2003? Bulbs are more likely to need replacement than ballasts.

One easy way to test the bulb is to swap the bulbs from each side, right to left and left to right. See if the symptom follows the bulb or not.

Be careful not to touch the glass of the bulb. If you do wipe it down with rubbing alcohol then, re-install.

As for buying bulbs I would not buy one at the dealer, I would buy a pair from an alternate source. (Get a quote, you'll see what I mean) I'd stick with name brand as opposed to aftermarket.

I recently bought Phillips 85122+ from the retrofit source for $95 for the pair.

All HID bulbs change in color and brightness over time, for that reason replacing in pairs makes sense if you want a match. Also service life will catch up with you on the other bulb if you don't replace.

Factory ballasts can go for $500, not sure about a w211 though. Aftermarket ballasts are $50 or less but will require knowledge of circuitry, some modification, soldering etc.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Tschuss_Bill; 11-14-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211
I replaced my bulbs with a 5000K pair from DDM Tuning for about $30 a pair. I have had these for over 30,000 miles with no issues whatsoever. The Retrofit Store does have a number of replacements that are supposed to be brighter and last longer than other no name brands. I've had the 4300K (original bulbs) in the trunk just in case the aftermarket ones failed but I haven't yet to take them out.
On my previous car (W210) my bulbs lasted me 220,000 miles. It did fail to light up once or twice but was never an issue.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:04 PM

C350
if you change the bulbs with the philips d2s would it have light warnings on the dash? This has been the oem hid since 2003. already have 62k km on the car right now.
is it easy to replace the bulb? i've been searching and there were no diy instructions on how to change it? Thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211
Originally Posted by hhh818
if you change the bulbs with the philips d2s would it have light warnings on the dash? This has been the oem hid since 2003. already have 62k km on the car right now.
is it easy to replace the bulb? i've been searching and there were no diy instructions on how to change it? Thanks
If it already has HID, changing out the bulbs to aftermarket ones will not give out light warnings. You do not need the original, just replace with the same wattage and bulb style.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:13 PM

C350
So my driver side headlight died and we went to the dealership. They said that its NOT the xenon bulb that needs replacement. If I wanted to diagnose it, it would cost me $200 just to have it checked. What do you guys think? any shops that any of you recommend here in vancouver BC? Would changing to an aftermarket ballast fix this?