E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E500 Quality/Reliability issues???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 SL550; '09 GL550; '11 E550
Question E500 Quality/Reliability issues???

I'm new to this board but the timing is good. My wife's '01 740iL is due back from a 24 month lease early October. No way are we getting the new 745! Enough has been said as to why... In considering the new E500, I have recevied mixed feedback from those that have one or know someone that does. The car looks awesome, however, feedback regarding the e-brakes and other electronic/quality issues seem to be mounting. The same is for the '03 SL500. A friend in my golf club just returned his to the dealer. They gave him his money back! Way too many problems. He said it was in the shop more often than his garage! Very surprised...

So as a potential MB owner, can I get some feedback on this topic from those that have more experience with the E500? I owned a 95 E320 and found the car to be fine, no issues at all. Concerned about the new e-brakes and other gremlins as well.
Other car options are the new A8L and, can't beleive I'm saying this, but the soon to be restyled Lexus LS430! I know there are no quality issues with that car despite its borig looks...

Thanks in advance for your feedback...Beartrap.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:41 PM

08 E320 Bluetec
These are great cars. But unforunately there are bugs. I personally don't have a problem with the brakes but they seem to squeell a little to much for ABS brakes under hard braking. There is a maze of issues with the radio and built phones, especially in hot weather. I'd drive the one your going to buy first and make sure it goes down the highway right. There are many of us that report the csrs pulling one way or the other. Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails E500 Quality/Reliability issues???-mvc-001x-copy.jpg  
Old 07-29-2003, 05:33 PM

'03 Mercedes E320
This poll is a good starting point, with over 80% saying they'd buy again:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...satisfied+poll

I have a 320, and I only have had one quick issue with the SOS/Tele-Aid module which was resolved overnight, and I have one of the early cars (9/02 build). It's a great car. Some things that get elevated to the level of "problem" on the internet lists are personal dislikes, annoyances with dealers, and problems that can be quickly resolved with one visit.

The dealer is the key--mine is great, but some folks have had real problems getting diagnosis or repair. A simple issue that takes a week to get looked at and repaired develops a life of its own. I just have not had those types of issues with my dealer over 3 cars and 6 years, so I'd suggest you find out who is giving the best service in your area. My '01 C320 had a number of problems but they were resolved quickly. I had the first month's production and their first W203 delivery, so many were issues new to the car and to the dealer. They always impressed.

The Sensotrinic brakes are not an issue unless I overthink them, then I can detect the small differences they have versus a typical system. Not bad, just different, and as far as I'm concerned they are improvements aimed at safety and rapid brake application when needed. In a panic, they perform better than normal ABS and BAS. No squeal from mine.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: E500 Quality/Reliability issues???

Originally posted by beartrap
I'm new to this board but the timing is good. My wife's '01 740iL is due back from a 24 month lease early October. No way are we getting the new 745! Enough has been said as to why... In considering the new E500, I have recevied mixed feedback from those that have one or know someone that does. The car looks awesome, however, feedback regarding the e-brakes and other electronic/quality issues seem to be mounting. The same is for the '03 SL500. A friend in my golf club just returned his to the dealer. They gave him his money back! Way too many problems. He said it was in the shop more often than his garage! Very surprised...

So as a potential MB owner, can I get some feedback on this topic from those that have more experience with the E500? I owned a 95 E320 and found the car to be fine, no issues at all. Concerned about the new e-brakes and other gremlins as well.
Other car options are the new A8L and, can't beleive I'm saying this, but the soon to be restyled Lexus LS430! I know there are no quality issues with that car despite its borig looks...

Thanks in advance for your feedback...Beartrap.
hey, welcome to the boards. oue E500 was our first Mercedes-Benz. and we love it. we have had a lot of problems also, but your dealer was awesome, giving us E-loaners, and never gave us a hard time. i dont think there are a lot of problems left, a good idea migt be to wait for the MY04, almost all bugs should be taken care of by then. or a late build MY03. the ls430 and a8l dont really compare to this car, both of those are bigger, and other stuff. i would totally suggest getting a E500. it has awesome features, like airmatic, radio is good, and all of the little gadgets. GL with your choice
Old 07-29-2003, 06:54 PM

2003 MB E500
Welcome. This is the best place on the net to learn about MB cars.

My first E500 was completely trouble free except for an alignment that had to be done. My replacement E500 (replaced due to the DVD Navigation retro fit issue see separate threads for details) is also fine except I think I need another alignment on this car too. Minor issue IMO. I know others have had issues with their cars but I've had two E's now and both have been excellent. I am very happy with my choice of an E500. Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord EX V6
welcome beartrap to this forum... the first year of new E probably has a lot of bugs. so far i'm pretty satisfy with my car running... just to be sure probably you wanna get the 2004 E instead the 2003.. anyway gud luck on choosing your new car...
Old 07-29-2003, 10:01 PM

08 E320 Bluetec
These are really great cars. I'm sure the bugs can be worked out.

E-55
Attached Thumbnails E500 Quality/Reliability issues???-mvc-001x.jpg  
Old 07-29-2003, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Accord EX V6
chip did anybody ever try to mess with your car?
Old 07-29-2003, 10:30 PM

08 E320 Bluetec
I don't understand what you mean. There is a camber/castor issue I'm working on to make it track right. There is the gateway problem with the audio system
Old 07-29-2003, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Accord EX V6
my bad... i mean when you driving... did you ever get challenge by some punk down in freeway or something?
Old 07-29-2003, 10:50 PM

08 E320 Bluetec
Oh-like road rage or someting like that-horsepower rules-subject closed!
Old 07-29-2003, 10:54 PM

08 E320 Bluetec
You mean like road rage. Horsepower answers that little problem, if you know what I mean.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:28 AM

2003 E500 SPORT
Thumbs up

I am probably the longest owner (25 years) of BMW 5-7 series on the forum that I am aware of.

We have had our share of 7 series glitches as well as 5 series fubars. I can tell you that my wife who I have spoiled dearly in 30 years of marriage said to me when I convinced her I Drive would leave her in tears forever hostaged in the garage to leave her 540 and test drive the E500 beforehand..........I love this Benz.

I did the ultimate test- called her and told her a month after ownership that I could buy her BMW back and I would take the Benz- she did the classic Charlton Heston routine "from my cold dead hands will you not pry the steering wheel of this Benz away",

that said it all. Yes, there are some glitches in the first year but all in all both the first and retro car are one of the best and most advanced we have owned.

MY suggestion is buy it and buy it with as many goodies as you can afford as they are all worth while.

Derek.