E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

No spare tire?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 02:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
No spare tire?

I went to my local M-B dealer to see if the new E class wagon was in yet (it wasn't) and looked in the trunk of an E500 sedan. There was no spare, but rather a small round area under next to the battery, where a spare would normally reside. I forgot to ask the saleman about this. Is there no spare? Are the tires run-flat, or do they just give you an air compressor and tire seal goop as BMW does on some models?
Old 07-30-2003, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: No spare tire?

Originally posted by Oggie (on L.I.)
I went to my local M-B dealer to see if the new E class wagon was in yet (it wasn't) and looked in the trunk of an E500 sedan. There was no spare, but rather a small round area under next to the battery, where a spare would normally reside. I forgot to ask the saleman about this. Is there no spare? Are the tires run-flat, or do they just give you an air compressor and tire seal goop as BMW does on some models?
welcome to the boards, MB did this as a cost cutting thing. they did a study, and it showed only 3% or MB owners ever use a spare, so they didnt give one. i believe there is a donut though...i am not sure about the air compressor and stuff though
Old 07-30-2003, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 & Q7
yes, there is a spare tire.

if you can see the battery, you should see it as well. (not as good as my bimmer which has a full size spare tire with same style rim in it.)
Old 07-30-2003, 03:30 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
I guess someone had just removed the temporary spare from the car I saw in the showroom.

I see M-B's point about not having to use the spare too often, but I've had 3 flats during the last 3-1/2 years. Luckily, only one was so bad that I had to actually use the spare (even though we were about 2 miles from home).

The problem with temporary spares, run-flat tires and tire sealant is that you can generally only drive up to 50mph for no more than 50 miles. That's fine if you're near home. But if you're 100 miles into a 250 mile trip and you get a flat, with a full-size spare, it's a minor delay. Otherwise, it's potentially a huge delay and headache.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S55
Originally posted by Oggie (on L.I.)
I guess someone had just removed the temporary spare from the car I saw in the showroom.

I see M-B's point about not having to use the spare too often, but I've had 3 flats during the last 3-1/2 years. Luckily, only one was so bad that I had to actually use the spare (even though we were about 2 miles from home).
Oggie,

You've gotta get your *** out of LI like I did and move down here to Atlanta where the roads are MUCH better.

Jeff