E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

What I learned today!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350
Lightbulb What I learned today!!

Just as I left my office this afternoon to begin my 60 mile ride home, the reserve fuel message displayed and the low fuel warning light came on.

I started driving and watched the range (miles to empty) count down towards zero. It reached zero while I was in traffic about 25 miles from home. At first it went from zero to 2 or more and then back to zero, but eventually it just stayed at zero.

5 miles from home I ran out of gas. I had averaged over 29 mpg and gone almost 600 miles on the tank of gas.

I learned that unlike any other car I have ever owned, when my E320 says it needs gas, there is not a lot of extra fuel.

My wife showed up with a few gallons of gas and the care started right up.

A lesson learned and a little embarrassment.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
I love German accuracy! When my Denali says low fuel, I can drive another 75 miles! I guess at 12MPG, you have to think ahead!
Old 07-30-2003, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
here's another lesson for you - don't do this to your car. the fuel pump doesn't like starvation, and there is always sediment in the tank. next time you go for service, have your fuel filter changed.

in addition, the fuel in the tank acts as a heat sync for the overall fuel system. when you run the tank all the way down, the overall temperature of the fuel in the system rises, not too dangerous levels, but why subject the system to this?
Old 07-31-2003, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
I had a somewhat similar experience with the window washer fluid. I had a "malfunction--need window washer fluid." I went in to a gas station the same day, and they said the tank was virtually empty. It took 3 bottles of fluid to fill the tank. The good news is that I never experienced actually running out. Also, the malfunction system actually worked. It was the first time I've had any "malfunction."
Old 08-04-2003, 02:10 PM

this is very true.

i had a few gallons left before dropping it off at the dealer for repairs. got the car back that afternoon..warning lights came on
but i remembered i had enough to go at least 10-15 miles. ran out of gas less than 1 mile from the dealer...apparently they
took a little test drive. the engine just stopped while i was accelerating up to 65 mph. coasted to the shoulder and checked
the miles left..and it was 0.

pressed the sos button and they had someone brings 5 gallons of gas. to my surprise, there was no charge. the guy said that
it was a courtesy of mb.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:47 PM

LEXUS
Why wait for the guage to register fumes? It can put you in a dangerous situation, it can damage your car. This is right up there with those who refuse to wash their windshield and others who run their car on the donut for days and at high speed.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 ML320/'03 C320WZ
IMO, that is bad

Letting the gas run out, not only ruining your fuel pump and you will suck all the debris inside the tank, and in some instances you could damage your tank,, I agree to the gents who suggest to have your filter change.