Fog Light Surrounds & Customization

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Fog Light Surrounds & Customization

A month or two back, someone suggested that I change the surrounds for the fog lights on my car. They are the plastic/chrome molding around the fog lights that are indicative of the sport package, but I don't really like the look anymore and want to change these out. It seems that the plastic accents are molded to the fake black grill behind the light, but I'm not sure how I go about changing this (hopefully to all black or stand-alone fog-lights) or where to get parts/kits.

I've been working on a few aesthetic changes and I'm really liking how it's turning out. Nothing huge I can't afford a WALD body kit or any big conversions right now, but these subtle changes make a huge difference IMO. After the small accident I'm a bit behind where I want to be but I've done/hope-to-do the following:

[X] Clear Side Marker Lights
[X] New Wheels (EuroSport MB-8s, 18x8.5)
[X] Wider & Smaller Ratio Tires (New Michelin Primacy MXM4 255/35/18)
[X] New Center-Caps
[X] European Front License Plate
[X] Window Tinting (Huper Optik Xtreme (color stable) 27% all around)
[X] Muffler Delete with Helmholtz Resonator
[X] PlastiDip Fog Light Surrounds
[ ] Lowering Links
[ ] Paint Calipers
[ ] AMG Aluminum Doorpins
[ ] AMG Aluminum Pedals
[ ] 6000k HID Headlight Kit
[ ] Rear Trunk Lip
[ ] E63 Front Bumper
[ ] Front Splitter

If you think I should add/remove anything from that plan let me know! It's all about personal opinion but that's what I plan on doing. Keeping it clean and somewhat stock but still classy and custom. Performance wise I will probably just do an ECU and Dyno tune.

What color do you think on the calipers? I'm thinking white despite the dirt, hoping to keep the car a black/white(chrome) theme.

What do you think of VHT Nightshades on a black car or possibly vinyl tint? I've seen a few which are darkened only a little and I REALLY like but I'm not sure what the best method is, don't want it looking cheap and willing to shell out extra if it needs to be professionally done.

Thanks!

Some really bad pictures of my unfinished project:
Attached Thumbnails Fog Light Surrounds & Customization-mb1.jpg   Fog Light Surrounds & Customization-mb2.jpg   Fog Light Surrounds & Customization-mb3.jpg   Fog Light Surrounds & Customization-mb4.jpg   Fog Light Surrounds & Customization-mb5.jpg  

Fog Light Surrounds & Customization-mb6.jpg  

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 01-24-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Bump.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Ya I agree about the fog light surround. Never liked that look and don't know why MB went with that on this and some of there other cars

I wouldn't paint the calipers on your car since you have a 4matic and don't have the nicer RWD calipers that have a solid look without seeing the pad in them (I thought about it too and mine are like yours, since the 320 was like that)

With muffler setup I honestly don't know. Some say resonator delete with x-pipe, some say with straight pipe, and some say leave resonator and do muffler delete. I wouldn't do a straight pipe (have heard it makes it raspy, lose slight low end power, and drone versus x-pipe helps everything balance out better). So at that point it would be x-pipe and/or muffler delete. I would assume muffler delete would be the least drone since it's positioned the furthest back on the exhaust setup

Everything else looks good imo
Old 12-24-2012, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Thanks for the feedback Gaazmon, happy holidays bro.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
its begging for a drop! I'd get window tint, E63 spoiler, and drop first then go from there. Resonator delete is also a must for these v8s.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
Thanks for the feedback Gaazmon, happy holidays bro.
ur welcome buddy. happy holidays to u as well
Old 12-25-2012, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Originally Posted by desired_speeds
its begging for a drop! I'd get window tint, E63 spoiler, and drop first then go from there. Resonator delete is also a must for these v8s.
Ordered the lowering links today =), probably going with Huper Optik 30 all around for tint. Still need to find out more for exhaust whether I want to do straight pipe or x-pipe or muffler delete. Either x-pipe or muffler delete with j-pipe at this point.

@gaazmon Thanks!
Old 12-28-2012, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 W211 E350 AMG Sport PKG
my thoughts.
1. step up your wheel game to 19"s and it'll look proper after you lower it with links
2. i really don't like the front bumper design of the non-amg sport pkg 211's, so i say save up and get the e63 bumper at least or find an amg sport bumper on here somewhere
3. if option 2 is not an option, then paint all the chrome around your fog lights and get this lip http://www.jl-motoring.com/Mercedes_...p/mbfs1105.htm
4. exhaust mod. whichever route you decide to go with.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
09, here are my responses =)

1) 19" wheels will reduce performance regardless, so I decided to go with 18s in order to make the best use of the torque available on this engine. Less risk of bending the wheel, more performance, and much cheaper tires. No worries about speedometer recalibration and I already have another set of tires that are 18s. However I will be lowering the car this next week as I ordered the links already.

2) I might consider doing so in the future as AllenOMFS did this on his 2008 E550 and his car puts mine to shame for sure.

3) I really want to get the front splitter, Allen has a very pointed and sleek looking one I like - just checked that thread and thank you for the info, 09.

4) I think I've decided on a muffler delete after listening to what GregD has to say, doing a Helmholtz resonator on these will eliminate most of the drone and it will sound exotic yet not raspy or muscle-car like.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 12-29-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Yeah I've heard that but I don't know to be honest, don't want it too loud or muscle car sounding.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:18 AM

08 E350 Sports Package
What did you decide on the fog lights surounds? I've been meaning to paint the chrome for the longest time... Also, where would you get an AMG front bumper and how much do they go for?
Old 12-30-2012, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Welcome to the forum! At this point I want to find some different surrounds that I can install or something, not really sure how to do that. Painting them would be my last choice though. You can get the AMG front bumper from a few places including dealerships but that's very very expensive, the conversion is best done through a supplier here on the forum or on eBay (be careful with quality though). Gary from Suvneer had some at one point, but I'd search around on the forum with the different sponsors to see. The last ones that I saw went for around $550 from Suvneer shipped, not painted though.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:21 AM

08 E350 Sports Package
Welcome to the forum! At this point I want to find some different surrounds that I can install or something, not really sure how to do that. Painting them would be my last choice though. You can get the AMG front bumper from a few places including dealerships but that's very very expensive, the conversion is best done through a supplier here on the forum or on eBay (be careful with quality though). Gary from Suvneer had some at one point, but I'd search around on the forum with the different sponsors to see. The last ones that I saw went for around $550 from Suvneer shipped, not painted though.

Thanks! Pls let me know if you find those surroundings anywhere.

I also wanted to see if anyone knows where I can find a good quality font grille with the mercedes logo (black). There are a lot of them but they are cheap plastic. I need something that looks similar to this bellow but for 2008.
Attached Thumbnails Fog Light Surrounds & Customization-mc-design-day-front-driver.jpg  

Last edited by Svilen Stanev; 12-30-2012 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Yeah I will keep you updated. I would start another thread about the grille or ask some of the suppliers on the forum, or look for members with similar grilles and ask them. I like the stock chrome grille but need to get a new one due to stone chips. Parts.com seems to be the best price versus going with the dealership which is almost 3 times more.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Decided I will do an E63 front bumper swap when I get a few other things done and save up a bit. Easier than modifying what's there, will make the car look a lot newer. See the revised list above, lol.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
those wheels ruin any "classy" look the car had...along with the license plate.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:48 AM

2009 W211 E350 AMG Sport PKG
^ what he said. all the grills with the big star in the middle just doesn't look good at all.

@AMG: the lip that's on allenomfs' 211 is the XY (snowplow) lip. let's see how this thing turns out!
Old 01-01-2013, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
@Oliverk, I assume that is aimed at me? Those wheels are Eurospec wheels that Mercedes uses as OEM on some models. If you look at the SLS show models, it has very similar wheels to this. I'm not the only one of the forum that has them I think they look great. Not some horrible chrome mirrors or the riveted look. As for the license plate, it's an exact replica from a German manufacturer, pretty close to anything you'd find on a european car. Several members of MBWorld and owner of Weston Auto Gallery suggested that I get one at a local car meet. It looks better than the Colorado one that's for sure. I'm sorry I've offended you so much with the million changes I've made to me car ... ? I hate to be like this but screw off man, I can take criticism but I think your statement takes it a little too far that I ruined the classiness of my car with these two mods and I think a lot of people would disagree.

@09W211 I hate the star grills as well on the W211, doesn't look right in my opinion. Thanks for the info on the lip I am going to do the E63 conversion down the line and put that on Allen inspired me. Can't wait to see =)

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 01-01-2013 at 02:19 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
@Oliverk, I assume that is aimed at me? Those wheels are Eurospec wheels that Mercedes uses as OEM on some models. If you look at the SLS show models, it has very similar wheels to this. I'm not the only one of the forum that has them I think they look great. Not some horrible chrome mirrors or the riveted look. As for the license plate, it's an exact replica from a German manufacturer, pretty close to anything you'd find on a european car. Several members of MBWorld and owner of Weston Auto Gallery suggested that I get one at a local car meet. It looks better than the Colorado one that's for sure. I'm sorry I've offended you so much with the million changes I've made to me car ... ? I hate to be like this but screw off man, I can take criticism but I think your statement takes it a little too far that I ruined the classiness of my car with these two mods and I think a lot of people would disagree.

@09W211 I hate the star grills as well on the W211, doesn't look right in my opinion. Thanks for the info on the lip I am going to do the E63 conversion down the line and put that on Allen inspired me. Can't wait to see =)
Yeah, i don't really care that your feelings are hurt. Those wheels may look good on the sls, but they don't work on your car. You are not in europe, hence a euro license plate just looks silly.

Finally, based on the the close up picture of your wheel, your car needs to be machine polished to get rid of the horrible swirl marks. This will do more for its appearances than any of the silly things you are planning.

I know you are young and want to do stuff, but trust me, you will A...regret it later, b...realize you wasted a ton of money, and C...realize that it didn't look very good.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Hahahaha we have a little APD here don't we. Instead of start a flame war over the fact that you don't like my wheels and license plate (without seeing either in person) let's agree to disagree. I'm amazed someone is so against these wheels.

I agree with the machine polishing part areas of the car where a clear film used to be on the front panels of the car have horrible swirl marks most visible in that type of reflective/bright light situation. Not very noticeable otherwise but still needs to be corrected.

But do me one final honor, how are the other things I have planned silly and wasteful? Lowering my car? Rear Trunk Lip? E63 bumper conversion? I don't think these are very outlandish things at all. And definitely improve the look of the car as both overall and in some of the finer details. A lot of members have done them and I'm surprised you feel the need to discredit everyone, that's why aftermarket exists. Honestly, your car is your story. I would rather get a 1/10 by you and know that I wrote my own than have someone else do it or dictate how it should end.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 01-01-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
do what you want...it ain't my car.

In 10 years, you'll look back and realize you wasted a ton of money and it looked cheesy.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
just plastidip the foglight surround, lose the front plate, and dump it! Front plate looks corny without the OEM euro plate holder, especially with that chrome license plate frame on top of it.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Thanks for your opinion Oliver... and rather than deal with filling in the license plate holes and such I'm going to just keep it like this until I do the E63 conversion in a few months and get an XY-style front lip. I'm not going to slam it but the lowering links are in the mail should be here in a day or so and I will install them next week when I take the car into Star Tech. Also tinting the windows with Huper Optik (as dark as legally allowed 27%) this Friday.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Reconsidering the painting my calipers idea... to be honest the more and more I think about it, it just seems ricer. Second of all, it looks nice when it's clean. Brakes, don't stay clean ever. So hmmm... in the far future I will upgrade to an AMG brake kit but that's out of the question right now.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 01-04-2013 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550
I have a black on black facelifted w211 E550 with P2 (mine has the amg sport pkg)

I also like to keep things looking stock. I avoid racer/mod looks like the plague.

Definitely do the door pins. I actually posted a thread on the door pin upgrade I did about a year ago on this forum. (I bought knock offs to save some money, some flame over that, but they've worked fine for me and IMO they look identicle, still look super nice today, as well)

I put LED license plate bulbs in, I think it makes it look a little more modern, as you see these in a lot of new high end cars. I think that they flow better with my factory HIDs (came w P2)

I did the E63 spoiler from a vendor on here, overall I like it.

Unlike some of the earlier posters here, I like the way your rims look.

I really don't like the star grill. I have always felt it cheapened the look, for that reason, I've ruled this mod out entirely.

I even decided not to tent, to keep things looking full factory.

I did the pedals, be sure you get all 3 (3rd being the e-brake)

The one area I'm contemplating braking the mold is painting the brake calipers. I don't think I will do the full AMG brake upgrade, so I'm thinking about just repainting them with a real nice glossy silver, basically to brighten up the flat silver that's there now. Would definitely replace w the proper decals to maintain the look.

Last edited by SethP; 01-05-2013 at 06:55 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fog Light Surrounds & Customization