E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Tele-aid "SOS - go to workshop"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 06:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Tele-aid "SOS - go to workshop"

I have a 2006 E320 CDI with 31,000 miles that is due to go out of warranty in January 2013. A few months ago I started getting the Tele-aid communication error message "SOS - blah, blah, blah...proceed to workshop". From reading this forum, I know that this is just a message telling me of a communications error between Tele-aid and home base and that it is most likley due to a contact problem. I don't have a subscription, so I could not care less about Tele-aid working or not; it was just annoying to have the mesage come up. So I scheduled a visit to Grand Blanc Motors, my local MD dealer. I told them that it was probably a contact problem and that I knew they could just disable Tele-aid on their M-B computer. They told me that they could not disable it under warranty, they could only fix or replace. If I wanted to disable, it would be an hour of labor charge...like $150. They could not find any error codes on the Tele-aid, so they did the contact cleaning and returned the car to me. That was a few weeks ago and the message has not come back.

So, the contact cleaning worked.

When the problem recurs, in 6 years or more, I hope, I'll have the Tele-aid disabled, if I still own the car.

Interesting thing is the service guy did not know about the fix until I told him what I had learned here. M-B does not seem to be very good about getting the word out on such simple fixes.

- nopcbs