E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Problem reinstalling headlight bulb

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300e
Problem reinstalling headlight bulb

2005 W211 (E320): Replacing the light bulbs (D2S) and I cannot get the Xenon Ignitor back on. I get the four tabs engaged ( as I have no problem installing the ignitor without the bulb installed) but I am apparently not getting the two tabs on the bulb fully inserted into the ignitor so that I can turn the ignitor to lock in place. The bulbs are installed correctly. All tabs line up. I am apparently not pushing hard enough (but as hard as I can) on the ignitor to flatten the compression ring to allow the bulb tabs to fully seat in the ignitor base to allow the ignitor to rotate to lock in place. Does anyone have a "trick" to this? I am about ready to pull the headlights.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300e
Got it. There is a tan ring inside the igniter that has to be moved to the open position IF you connect the wire before attaching the igniter to the headlight, OR if you remove the igniter from the headlight without first disconnecting the wire connector. You cannot attach the igniter to the headlight assy with the wire connector attached to the Igniter. Once the wire is connected, it moves the ring to the closed position if the igniter is not connected to the headlight assy and bulb. When replacing for the first time, disconnect the wire connection from the igniter before removing the igniter from the headlight. Then, before reattaching the igniter, make sure that the tan ring slots align with the black slots, install igniter, then connect the wire connector.