Weird Grinding/Ticking/Rattling Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Weird Grinding/Ticking/Rattling Noise

So I still have to take my car into Star Tech Mercedes here in Denver to get some work done after I had that little run-in with the curb. I was waiting on a new wheel which I was finally able to get overnighted, the original foundry for EuroSport burned down so it was one of the last in their warehouse which reopened today.

I will have him look at it of course but I want to know what everyone thinks... upon acceleration I get a really strange rattling or grinding noise that sounds almost metalic. It's really hard to describe but I have no idea what could be causing it, it sounds like it's coming from the muffler area when I have the windows open - sounds like it could be coming from the trunk when I have the windows closed, and I did a drive-by test with my friend standing on the corner and after several runs he said it sounded like the engine compartment but he wasn't sure.

It is during the BEGINNING part of (hard) acceleration especially when the car is under strain like on hills. It's and is usually when I really punch it, and is much much much more prominent in cold weather. Moreso under normal acceleration in cold weather. It lasts for about 10-30 seconds depending on where I hold the RPM needle and is fairly loud. I have thought about it and I think it might be one of the following:

1) Heat shield that is loose or damaged causing the sound (I briefly inspected underneath the car and I'm pretty sure that is not the problem)
2) Issue with catalytic converter (It is very very sporadic so I think I've ruled a collapsed cat out, it isn't getting any worse either)
3) Tools loose in the trunk (I had to use them recently I thought it might be them vibrating against each other but after making sure they were wrapped properly it doesn't seem like an issue)
4) Alternator or tensioner (still a possibility)
5) Suspension part or wheel (still a possibility - had new wheels put on)

It started occurring after I took the car to the dealer and had an oil leak fixed and Service B done. However that night I was driving on a rough road fairly fast in a caravan of friends going up to Idaho Springs so that might have caused it too.

I'm really at a loss and it's one of those things that I'm not sure I will be able to reproduce it for the mechanic at Star Tech it's very hard to describe but it occurred BEFORE my accident with the curb. Any advice would be really helpful, no error codes or any other issues with the car acceleration and everything is still perfect. Thanks.

This thread from BenzWorld describes it pretty well though it is for a different model and the user never posted an answer: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202...ning-part.html

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 01-02-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
Well if it was the curb monster-----my WAG is a wheel bearing!!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
This problem occurred BEFORE I hit the curb but that's a real possibility.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Tried taking a video of it but the crappy mic on my camera couldn't pick it up.... bump.