E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

M272 Balance Shaft - Final Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:45 PM

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 4matic Sport
M272 Balance Shaft - Final Thoughts?

Not to bring up a sour subject for some of us here at MBWorld, but I'd like to hear some final thoughts and opinions (and maybe some facts?) about our favorite W211 subject; the dreaded M272 engine Balance Shaft failure. As a 2006 e350 4m owner, I live and drive with the sword of Damocles dangling over my head, just waiting for that Check Engine light to appear. However, with that said, at 73k on the odo ... I might be in the clear (pure luck). I use 2 different auth MB shops in my area. One is a smaller, neighborhood type/very informal shop, the other is an east coast show sight mega-country-club VERY formal workshop. The latter dealership refuses to even acknowledge that there ever was an issue with the M272 engine. It's quite entertaining to try and start a conversation about 'the balance shaft' with the service guys there. I think because they are a 'show site', they all had to take the 5th ammendment on this one. And that leads to me my other, informal MB dealer down the road. In talking (at length) with the service guys here - they have come to the conclusion that approx half - that's right, 50% - of the M272 equipped MB's experienced the balance shaft failure.... and of those ... nearly all occurred/manifested at between 30-50k mi on the odo. My 'informal' MB service guy is very confident that my W211 at 73k is 'out of the woods' and man, do I hope he's right. So ultimately (and finally) ... I'm wondering if there are any of you out there that have been able to uncover any add'l info, opinions, conclusions (facts) about this issue? How many cars? Mileage that it occurs? Approx mi when you can feel 'safe' from this? and so on ... I've heard prev accounts of 10-20% were affected, which is why the 50% figure from my MB guy really raised my eyebrows. Again, hope I'm out of the woods at 73K ... and I wish my fellow M272 bretheren best of luck as well.