E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Using Star system to drop 2008 E550 w/ airmatic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E550 and 1984 Porsche 944
Using Star system to drop 2008 E550 w/ airmatic

Any information regarding the parameters when using the Star method. Does anyone have an picture example.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Here is what I was told at a local shop in Denver called StarTech Mercedes. They don't recommend lowering the suspension via STAR diagnostics as it has a higher probability of messing up the alignment and other parameters as the car's computer is ACTUALLY reading a lower ride height so they did not recommend it at all.

I was told links were the best solution, and for $175 plus an hour of labor I was able to get lowering links from a forum sponsor (maybe a former one but I know they sponsored a while back) right here: http://tinyurl.com/bxzb2pg. I received them and will be able to install them tomorrow, so far very impressed with the extensive documentation and quality of the machining. They explain the reasons for links too.

However, I am really not an expert in this by any stretch. Any lowered car will have its ride dynamics affected in some way, and I know several members of the forum including dannish23 (who has one of the baddest E63s out there) that have done so without any problems and are happy with the results. You can also argue that any lowered car should have an alignment check after lowering too... so I personally recommend links, but the STAR method has been covered extensively in the forum with a quick search. I'm sure some other members will contribute with their ideas about it.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 01-09-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Something strange with the opinions on different lowering methods. First of all it is obvious that there is no difference to alignment between links and Star lowering. Alignment would be equally affected and realignment would be needed after any significant change.

A dealer probably just wants to avoid the task completely and a seller for lowering links would have biased views to some extent at least.

The main problem with Star lowering is that an unmodified tool only accepts a small change and many owners want more. There are options to exceed the thresholds that Star allows but I don't think those instructions have been posted at the forum.

The main disadvantage from links is that the level sensor may hit the maximum range it can operate since the nominal sensor angle remains unchanged but the suspension up/down movement range changes relatively to that nominal point. Sensors have headroom but at extreme cases range can become insufficient.

I have not hear anyone saying before that the computer should have an incorrect understanding of the suspension level, like reading the normal nominal point figures when the suspension actually works at a lower level. How come the knowledge of the correct level could be a disadvantage?

Take it as a personal opinion but I would claim Star lowering being the safest option while lowering with links is simpler for those that have no access to the diagnosis tool or want a more significant change than possible with an unmodified tool. In practice both are equal for decent changes as long as alignment is checked after the change.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E550 and 1984 Porsche 944
Thank you both for your input. Just got back from the Star treatment. Car is lowered approx. 1-1/2".
Old 01-09-2013, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Diesel Benz you know way more than I do in this area for sure. Overall I think you're right in that both are tried and true methods for lowering, but at ACjr good choice. When I get these links installed (car is sitting at the shop overnight as I got into town a little after my appointment) I will probably do the same drop height.