HELP!!! looking at E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
HELP!!! looking at E55

Alright lads,
I have been looking at a Jade Black Metallic E55 AMG and went to the dealer yesterday for a test drive. Coming from an E320, this thing is a BEAST.
However, though he is claiming it has been in no accidents and has not had any paintwork done, I noticed that the trunk badges are reversed!!! The AMG on the left and the E55 on the right. How is this possible, what could have caused this?! I find it very concerning. Other than that it drives straight, transmission seems perfect, very solid, and overall a beautiful machine.

The dealer offered me an odd deal. I would write him two checks, one with a large payment that he would cash now, and another with the remainder, which he said would cash in several weeks after my funds are stable. I also found this to be odd. Why is he so interested in getting it out the door ASAP, that he would accept delayed payment?

As you may be able to gather, I'm young and new to this world (MBworld).
Any input at all is appreciated, thanks.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:50 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
When you face situations like this, you run. You already suspected something fishy so you run. It does not matter what great deal you are getting or how much faster than your E320, you run.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:28 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Originally Posted by Schitzel
...Why is he so interested in getting it out the door ASAP, that he would accept delayed payment?
A. He's a nice guy
B. The car's a headache
C. He realizes how hard it'd be to find someone else interested in it as much as you.

I'd go with B & C.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:01 PM

E500
agreed.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Doesn't seem right to me at all. Think about it, he's a car salesman. The last thing on my mind is that he would be doing this because he is a "nice guy" it's because he wants to move this thing as fast as possible. Meaning, it might have some issues. If you really want this car have an independent inspector like Lemon Squad look at your car, but if it doesn't feel right don't go for it. Please.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:14 AM

2003 E320
Thanks for the help and input, gents. I've had a look at the carfax and it's never been in any accidents. He said the reversed logos are due to the previous owner debadging it and then putting the badges back on (backwards)??? It's at 52k miles, and though he said it was serviced 1500 miles ago, it's due for service D. Is this the right service for this amount of mileage? The carfax shows four owners, but he said there were only two or three because the previous owner paid off the lease and bought it. Does this make sense? His dealership has an A- rating from the BBB. Here's a link to the vehicle and carfax.

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...UF76J04A418842

http://www.siemerautocenter.com/web/...raska/5243496/

Thanks again for all your advice, it's much appreciated.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:33 AM

2005 e55 amg w/mods, 2015 GMC diesel,2016 X5 Msport
You need to post this in the AMG section this website. Those boys know their stuff on these cars.

Personally, price seems a bit high regardless of dealership or private party. Havent seen too many blue ones around and to me that isnt that attractive so resale value is down some. Along with the wood trim, that is the least desireable of the 2 options available. the center armrest was updated in 05 and ALOT better.

I believe service D is due at 75k miles and isnt much more then oil change and some other minor things. With that said, I picked up a heavily modded, 05 with brand new tires and wheels for 25k. Even tho the miles are low, I would look into it more, low miles doesnt mean squat really.

Get a Pre Purchase inspection done at an independent shop prior to purchase atleast.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:30 AM

2003 E320
I can't post new threads in the AMG section for some reason. What's your definition of low mileage? I had thought getting one with 50-60k miles would keep the high-cost maintenance at bay for a while. There are plenty around with 80-90k but I had always thought they wouldn't be worth it. Was there anything changed from '04-'05 besides aesthetics that would make the last two model years more reliable? As you may have noticed, the listed options include the cell phone and designo package. There is no cell phone in the vehicle, and I can't identify the designo package but I wasn't aware charcoal was a designo color. Again, thanks for all the help, guys. Much appreciated
Old 01-15-2013, 11:40 AM

I hadnt heard of charcoal being part of the designo color as well. I have seen maroon but most people dont like it. I would have thought if charcoal was an option on the designo edition MOST would have chosen that color.
Also, I am pretty sure it doesnt have the drive dynamic seats from what I can tell from the pics of the buttons on the seats.

I think 05 updates are the center console, 200mph speedometer.

High cost of maintenance is going to happen regardless. I always worry about real low mileage cars like this one because the car really wasnt driven all that much and now you are basically paying a HIGH premium because of the low miles because book value says its worth more then one that might be at 80k.

For me, I would rather buy a bit higher mileage around 80-90k for like $18-20k and save the extra money for a rainy day because afterall, you could also buy the 25k car and then immediately need work on it and then your into it alot more.

I think the dealer is adding the designo package as well as the dynamic seats to the value when I dont think they are there. Plus with the fishyness of the 2 check thing... well... thats on you.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:33 PM

2003 E320
I read somewhere that higher milage can have adverse effects on the car's performance. Would getting a car with 80-90k miles really not make that much of a difference?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:55 PM

If your serious about any car regardless of the miles, take it to an independent shop and have them do a pre purchase inspection. itll be like 200 bucks, but it will tell you what the car might need and should tell you about the possible upcoming maintenance on wear/tear items.

A car with 60k miles on it that wasnt maintained certainly isnt better then a car with 85k miles that was. Thats what I am also getting at. I wouldnt let mileage scare you. Just get the right car that feels right for you and your budget. I wouldnt be afraid of flying and buying something these days to get what you want and to find an honest person selling one.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E320 4matic Sedan
Some advice on the clever financing option...

I presume from the "Lads" comment that you are in the UK, but this advice is true pretty much anywhere I think....sorry if I sound too clever. It's from being too stupid in the past.

1) You cannot post-date a check/cheque. It's illegal. Post-dating means putting a future date on a cheque you give someone today in the hope they won't try to deposit it until the date you write on it.
2) If you don't post-date the check, (and as I said, you really shouldn't) there is absolutely nothing stopping the dealer from banking the cheque right away. Why do you trust this person to do as he says?
3) His offer to hold the cheque sounds like an unofficial warranty. Q. Under what circumstances will he return it to you after the car is your problem and not his? A. NONE!
4) If your finances need to stabilize, you should not be buying anything that may let you down after costing you heaps of money. Say, like a super-model, a US postal service bicycling team captain - or even a possibly-dodgy E55 that a dealer will do weird things to get rid of.

My advice:
1) stabilize your finances before you buy a car, not after.
2) walk away from this one. It smells funny. Or at least get it checked.
3) Never make weird arrangements with checks. Treat them like handing over cash. This is because they are a promise of cash, once in the payee's hands. Once you write one and hand it over you are making a legal commitment that you have the money in your account. The payee has the legal right to exercise that promise by banking the cheque, pretty much at a time of their choosing; not to your satisfaction with the car, your stable finances, or any other condition you may think you've agreed.