E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Who else has had hydraulic brake trouble?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 996 C2 Cabrio
Who else has had hydraulic brake trouble?

My E is in the shop AGAIN. This is the 3rd chance the dealer has had on "fixing" my brakes. This latest visit has almost made these service intervals unbearable!

Let me refresh you on how this all started.

1. My brake pedal became mushy and started squeaking. The brakes were grabby and hard to control. The dealer found AIR in the brake lines. Now, how did that get there? Well, anyway, they reprimed the system and when I got the car back, it was a new ride! Firm pedal with nice braking control and NO SQUEAKING!

2. Guess what? The pedal started to squeak again. And yes, it was mushy again with a very grabby nature. This time, no air was found in the brake lines. The problem was traced to a faulty "hydraulic accumulator" which was not in stock. So... I waited and finally when the part came in, I got the car back after about 1 week. The pedal didn't squeak anymore, but it was still somewhat mushy. The brakes had decent control, but were still pretty grabby.

3. So, the pedal started to squeak yet again, and the brakes were even more grabby again. Once again the problem was traced to a faulty "hydraulic brake pump". Yes, the same part they replaced earlier. The dealer has had my car for 2 weeks now, and the part has NOT EVEN LEFT GERMANY! Heck, I just got a call today from the service manager saying the part may not be available for another 2 weeks!

4. All this time in a C240 loaner... AAARRRGGGHHH! A couple of times, I couldn't even get a loaner.

Anyone else having trouble like this? This is in addition to reprogramming my Tele-AID for the US, replacing my communications platform module (radio still has static), and changing out my engine mounts. I barely have 2500 miles on my car in 7 months.

It's a beautiful ride when it's working... but I'm looking at Lemoning this thing. Anyone ever Lemon a Benz?
Old 08-05-2003, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord EX V6
So far my car has been running great, no damage no bad component... I thanks HIM for giving me a good car LOL
Old 08-05-2003, 01:39 AM

clk430, e500
u should lemon the car...
my friend did lemon his bmw not benz
and he got all money back
Old 08-05-2003, 02:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Accord EX V6
what is lemon?
Old 08-05-2003, 02:45 AM

clk430, e500
lemon car
Old 08-05-2003, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Accord EX V6
What is a lemon car?
do you use lemon in your car? LOL
Old 08-05-2003, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Accord EX V6
Dude is it like a bad car or etc?
Old 08-05-2003, 07:31 AM

LEXUS
Originally posted by sf49ers79
Dude is it like a bad car or etc?
Hey, is it too much trouble for you to get to a browser and search the topic... lemon law? The lemon law has been on the books for about 20 years, and has been written about here and in newpapers/magazines throughout the land. Jeez......

and yes, the law is about a car that cannot be fixed after numerous attempts.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
What is a lemon car?
do you use lemon in your car? LOL
Most states have a law that says that if a car has been in the shop 3 times and 30 days for the same problem, it has to be replaced or money refunded.

Each state is a little different. Put LEMON LAW in google and you should get a lot of sites to check out.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Accord EX V6
Thx bro for the information!!! I thought lemon is just a slang word for a broken car or something like that!!!
Old 08-05-2003, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Accord EX V6
Originally posted by slipnby
Hey, is it too much trouble for you to get to a browser and search the topic... lemon law? The lemon law has been on the books for about 20 years, and has been written about here and in newpapers/magazines throughout the land. Jeez......

and yes, the law is about a car that cannot be fixed after numerous attempts.

I'm sorry bro.. only been in US for couple of years... so never heard of lemon law...
Old 08-05-2003, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
I'm not sure what Texas lemon laws are like, but just as you would not buy a used car with squishy brakes (one of the first things you would check out), you should not have to tolerate a brand new car with limited mileage that has a potentially dangerous situation with the brakes.

First I would try to resolve this with the dealer. Talk to the GM. Maybe even just mentioning the lemon law will light a fire under their a** and get you the replacement parts necessary to do this job. Otherwise, I think that this would classify as a lemon law in most states.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:12 PM

LEXUS
I'm sorry bro.. only been in US for couple of years... so never heard of lemon law...
No problem with your being new, and welcome by the way. Meanwhile, your search engine is a great way to become familiar with the background of these threads. Otherwise we are all repeating ourselves over and over again as each new person is brought up to speed. You can also search the MB site and review the numerous posts on just about any MB topic.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:36 PM

2003 E500
Hey Nu, maybe you should get greenway (sounds like their AMAZING SERVICE DEPT for sure!!).. to SWAP out your car for my PRE-NAV!! It had 7090 miles on it for the swap.. and the car is rock solid. Haven't had any issues/gremlins in that one for several months.. and the engine/tranny is WELL TUNED!!!

It's a PLat Blue.. probably sitting on their preowned if it's still there. Had E1, E2, Power Rear sunshade, Factory CD,Split fold.

Good luck with it. I am wrestling with Greenway now on my Keyless Go on my NAV car.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:48 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
Nitro... here's the latest update

So, I've called MBUSA twice now to get some help. We'll see what transpires. The service department manager reports that I may not have my "part" for another 5 weeks! WTF?

I just need to keep moving up the chain to get some help and resolution to all of this. They already replaced the part once. How can such a valuable part for a new series car be unavailable for so long? The situation is totally absurd.

MBUSA needs to take a hydraulic pump off the line in Germany and FedEx it over to Greenway.

I'm going to go have me a glass of LEMONade...

BTW, why did you trade out of your Plat Blue? What's going on with your keyless-go?

Peace.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Nitro did not trade out of his car...he received a replacement with the Navigation in it.

From the sound of it you already qualify for the lemon law in most states.

Three time in for the same problem
Out of service for over 30 days.

Since this is the second replacement, I would have little or no confidence that it wil correct the problem. No one else has reported a similar problem. You either have another problem causing this or Greenway is misdiagnosing the problem.

What exactly does the Texas Lemon law say about this?
Old 08-06-2003, 09:04 AM

2003 E500
Well, I'm not sure 100% but I think in Texas the lemon law require the car be in for repair 3 times (same problem) and must be in the shop for 30 (consecutive) days. I remember reading it and was like eh?

Must be a texas thing =)

Good luck NuBenz... I'd look up on the web a Lemon Law search for Texas. If you qualify they should hook you up.

BTW: My Pl Blue car was a pre-NAV. My KG is on my NAV car
Old 08-06-2003, 11:24 AM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
Here's a link to the Texas Lemon Law...

My car may qualify on some level. Regarding the "30 days out of service", apparently if you receive a loaner then these days do not count against the 30 days out of service.

The dealer gets 3 chances to fix a "serious safety item", and 4 chances to fix other defects.

Here's the link to the Texas Lemon Law info: Lemon Laws in Texas

We'll see how this goes...
Old 08-06-2003, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Re: Here's a link to the Texas Lemon Law...

Originally posted by NuBenz
My car may qualify on some level. Regarding the "30 days out of service", apparently if you receive a loaner then these days do not count against the 30 days out of service.

The dealer gets 3 chances to fix a "serious safety item", and 4 chances to fix other defects.

Here's the link to the Texas Lemon Law info: Lemon Laws in Texas

We'll see how this goes...

Did they give you a "comparable" car for a loaner. You have an '03 E500....what kind of loaner car did you get?
If it is not comparable...it probably does not count.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:56 AM

2003 E500
I have been thru the "legality" of a "comparable" car before.. and basically if it has 4 wheels, and runs on an internal combustion engine.. it IS a comparable car.

I had this issue when my bimmer was in the shop for 3+ months being repaired after an IDIOT decided to stop and slam his pickup in reverse.. and try to drag race his buddy headed the OTHER WAY.... slammed into me hard.. I had to pay out of pocket on the rental.. and according to my attorney my rental Olds Allero (4 cyl POS) was a "comparable" car.

Anyways... a loaner C class might MORE than qualify unfortunately.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:44 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
The best loaner I had was a C320. Right now I have a C240. It has 4 wheels, 4 windows, and 4 doors. So, I guess legally it is "comparable".

Where's the power? Oops... must have left it at the dealership.