E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

SOS malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4matic
SOS malfunction

I have been getting an SOS malfunction drive to workshop when it is raining outside? I spoke to my dealer where I service the car and at first they said there was nothing to do and then that it would coast $2k to correct. I have serviced my car there for years and have been happy. I spoke with MBUSA CS and opened up a case. Still not really anywhere. Now they want to diagnosis it for a fee but still lacking direction. Is there any advice on how to correct this issue.

thank you
Old 03-12-2013, 03:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
SOS malfunction is when the TeleAid or MBrace system isn't sending the vehicle's location properly as a result of interference with one of the electronic components. If it happens when it's raining, it's reasonable to say that it is probably water getting into the antenna - unless there is extensive water damage to the vehicle already, I doubt that it should cost $2k to fix. Best thing to do if you still can't fix it on your own, go to an independent as the stealer is usually extraordinarily high with the repair costs.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:22 PM

2006 E55 AMG
dealer wanted $900 to replace my antenna which they said was malfunctioning......I had the error and my map location was all screwed up now and then. After reading the numerous threads i found one about the splitter for the antenna in the trunk. Basically the antenna wire from above your back window comes down to this splitter and there is enough corrosion there to interrupt the signal. I tried cleaning but it only worked for a while then the problem was back so i just bought a new splitter and problem gone instantly! took about 5 minutes to replace and cost $52.00 from GenuineMercedesParts.com

Its part number 3 on the diagram. Look behind the panel at the left side hinge for the trunk lid. (BTW my car is 2006 E55)
Attached Thumbnails SOS malfunction-06amg.gif  

Last edited by Buxton; 03-27-2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: year/make of my car added
Old 03-27-2013, 06:11 PM

E350 4matic
That is great information, thank you- when you say the left trunk hinge- are you speaking about the little panel to the left by the wheel well? Or do I need to take off the lining to expose the area? I looked behind the little panel and didnt see the part will will look again

Not too mechanical but I can get some basic things done.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:06 PM

2006 E55 AMG
I didn't even take the panel off I simply wedged it open.....literally around the hinge and the aux power outlet the part is actually attached to the metal exterior wall of the car. I will send a picture
Old 03-31-2013, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
You saved yourself $900, damn good job. Thanks for the info too!