E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Problem driving me crazy. Help appreciated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e220cdi w211
Problem driving me crazy. Help appreciated

WDB211 2007 E220cdi. Intermittent problem almost 2 years now at intervals of 2 days to 5 weeks and last for an hour or 2 days. Symptoms may come all together or separately. Interior courtesy light will come on/off by itself, may glow brighter. Radio display similarly and may mute sound. No presafe brake and warning to that effect. ESP triangle and warning to that effect. windows,wipers indicators may not work for a few seconds. Centre circle on dash may go red with battery symbol. The folowing have been changed on spec, CAN unit, presafe brake switch, voltage regulator, battery. There is no auxiliary battery, or battery charging unit fitted to this car. My mechanics Star Diagnositics are not that specific.On the one occasion when the fault was present it just said "CAN Error". 2 Weeks ago the passenger side front lights stopped working with no dashboard warning, intermittently at first, then completely. The Star Diagnostics could not communicate with the SAM unit in the front passenger footwell. One from another car was fitted and all symptoms disappeared for 4 days. Then the original fault came back but the passenger side lights remained ok, until tonight. I got a warning that the driver side headlight was not working, and it wasnt. 20 minutes later the passenger side front lights all went off again, and are still off. I had ordered a new SAM unit to fix this particular problem as the temporary one seemed to have been ok for 4 days. Now I just don't know where I am with this car. I seem to remember reading something about water leaks on to SAM units?? Any assistance welcome. Thank you.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:44 PM

e220cdi w211
...Optimistic that it's a "Eureka" day.

Have been putting up with this fault for almost 2 years now. Today the mechanic discovered that a couple of wires in a loom, going to the"Rear SAM Module" (Signals Acquisition Module) in the boot, were rubbing against the metal top of the shock absorber, and the insulation had been rubbed away. Here's hoping
Old 03-27-2013, 10:04 PM

2016 E400, 2015 GLK 350
I had a similar issue with an Audi years ago. It was water collecting under the windshield and being held in a cup-like area of the frame. When enough water was caught and I took a left turn, the water would empty onto the fuse block. I realize that this can't be your exact issue, but it sounds like something similar.