Error code on startup BRAKE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG - Stock
Error code on startup BRAKE

Hi,

Did some searches and nothing yet... my 06 e55 amg started displaying the message on startup "BRAKE - See Service.."

I looked at all pads and they seem to have about 1/2 inch all around..

Will take it to a shop to scan codes tomorrow, but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. common issue/fix or anything.

thanks
Old 03-30-2013, 07:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,048 Likes on 970 Posts
1999 E300TD
I know this sounds obvious, however did you check fluid level and or inspect for obvious line leaks? Are the wear sensors damaged?
Old 03-30-2013, 02:51 PM

2006 E55 AMG - Stock
no, thanks for any info. Nothing is obvious to me on these cars (ie: brake sensors, etc..)

I did check the fluid level and it was right near or at max. I listened for any leaks but did not hear anything obvious but looking down on the motor I think I hear a VERY light hiss that I don't remember before. I check all line around there but nothing obvious. I know these cars make lots of injector noises and such but this is very subtle at this point.

I did take it to a local indy Mechanic, did a scan but only cleared codes. I swear when I saw him run it though I saw something to the effect EBC system and ABS system flags but he said it just needed to be cleared. I think I may have to goto a Mercedes only shop and see what they say about all my issues.

Could it be the dreaded ABS/ESP/EBC? Problems? not sure about those symtoms but at this point it is only the error message.

I heared maybe a brake light sensor (even if the brake lights work, Merc quirky software) OR like you mentioned the brake sensor. Would either of these show obvious on a start diag system?

I do have a recent tick tick noise but not sure they can be related. (separate post).

Also, just started making a chirp when taking off with any authority. thinking it may be the dreaded super charger bearings?

not sure I am capable of keeping up with this car

Thinking if I keep the car may want to change out the double idler pulley and the single idler pulley (unsure of there proper names). probably stock oem or the asp stock spec replacement.

The tick doesn't seem to be near the idlers but more near or above the drivers side air filter enclosure. (maybe where I am hearing a hiss?)

thanks for any and all help on any of my issues. (this sucks)

Last edited by cobra101; 03-30-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,048 Likes on 970 Posts
1999 E300TD
With the type of notification you received---I would look to serviceable items like you did--fluid, lines, pads and wear sensors. If you had a leak you would no doubt have a puddle of fluid and the reservoir would not be full.

If you had issues with the ABS bla bla, the respective dash lamp would light up.

Remember they are brake pad wear sensors NOT brake sensors--there is a big difference and if like you say you had the wheels off and inspected four wheels of pads you would have seen the sensor and wire coming across the caliper.

If you mechanic has DAS Xentry or equal he can quickly determine if the brake light switch is faulty.

Try to focus on one issue at a time--stick with resolving the service brake message first.

One you get the car on a lift all should be clear!
Old 03-30-2013, 04:01 PM

2006 E55 AMG - Stock
thanks so much for the info. one at a time it is. the scariest is this new tick, I can fix most things but a motor not so much.

Edit: TICK: Ordered the new asp pullies, as after hitting them with very little lithium grease the tick seemed to go away. May have been metal sound traveling through? Either way, will now for sure once they get here. hoping the tick just never returns after install.

Edit, the chirp on takeoff went away to. Not sure if it was the idler pulley, sc pulley, sc bearings.. as I put a very small amount of lithium grease on those areas.

Now onto the brake error. Hoping to have a star systems scan and tell me for SURE if it a brake light switch, saw a common thread regarding this. worst comes to worse, I may buy the switch 25.00 @ merc dealer, and put it in.

I still need to put in my HELLA Air Relay I bought, I have not found the location on this yet.

thanks for all your help and support, I don't think I could even think of keeping this car without this forum.

Last edited by cobra101; 04-01-2013 at 12:25 PM.