E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Occasional COMAND pop problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Occasional COMAND pop problem

Hi,

I have a strange issue with the COMAND unit on my 2004 wagon. The symptoms are this: if I'm listening to the aux input every 15 minutes or so there is a pop noise on the speakers and the phone cradle with BTUM loses connection. If I have the nav screen on, it resets for a moment as it reconnects to the DVD drive.

If I disable bluetooth on my phone and remove the BTUM, the system still makes the pop noise and does the reset. It's a very strange reset as the unit retains power and the display stays up, but I lose aux audio for about 2-3 seconds and the phone cradle resets. Any idea what's going on? A loose fuse or connector? A bad module?

As always, advice is hugely appreciated.

-n.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,039 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
Do a forum search , there are loads of suggestions, especially in the antenna area
Old 04-06-2013, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Plutoe
Do a forum search , there are loads of suggestions, especially in the antenna area
Sorry, I should have said I did lots of searches- I looked at antenna related threads and they don't seem similar to mine, for instance GPS location in Nav is fine, and the phone cradle seems to reset while interrupting aux audio.

Maybe another pointer?
Old 04-06-2013, 08:14 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
It sounds like you are experiencing random MOST bus resets. MOST is the fiber-optic data bus that all of the sound and navigation entertainment talk to each other on. It can be caused by a misbehaving component or some physical problem with the fiber.

There are two ways I would start to diagnose:
- Find someone with STAR tool to look at the fault codes and error logs
or
- Carefully inspect all of the fiber optic connections and components. If all physically looks well, you will have to disconnect each component and loop back it's fiber optic cabling. Once the problem goes away, you have found the faulty component.

Originally Posted by osunick
Sorry, I should have said I did lots of searches- I looked at antenna related threads and they don't seem similar to mine, for instance GPS location in Nav is fine, and the phone cradle seems to reset while interrupting aux audio.

Maybe another pointer?
Old 04-10-2013, 01:21 AM

OK. I'll take it to my MB tech. Here's another bit of data- it happens every 8 minutes on the dot. Thoughts?
Old 04-10-2013, 09:48 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
While I really dislike giving advice that is not based on experience and fact....I am going to guess that there is some sort of watchdog that is causing the reset. This watchdog is an electronic timer that must be periodically "fed" by software. If the unit's CPU freezes, the watchdog isn't fed, and it forces the unit to reset.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:14 AM

fmfm,fj
Though the weather has improved for me to work in the driveway...