DIY enhancement for manual lumbar support

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E320CDI 4matic
DIY enhancement for manual lumbar support

Hi all.
I have a W211 with manual lumbar support, which i found totally unusable. If engaged it created pressure points which was very uncomfortable. Without using it my back was hurt after longer drives. So i decided to fix it quickly, but didn't want to retrofit the more complicated and expensive 4way electric support.

My idea was to use some polyfoam layers between the springs and the seat cushion to provide a bit more support for the lower back. I've read some posts where some guys used this method with success, but didn't find a detailed instruction, so here it is.

1. Remove the Lumbar knob
Remove the rubber cover in the center of the knob with a knife, so you will have access to the Torx screw behind it. Unscrew and remove the knob.

2. Remove the Seat back cover
The seat back is hold by 2 Torx screws at the bottom of the seat. Unscrew them and lift the seat cover downwards and pull to the right at the lumbar know.

3. Disassemble the lumbar knob tightening mechanism, so you will have clear access
Inside the seat you need to unclip the spring which holds the plastic lumbar support tight. Once you unclip the spring. you can remove the tightening wire and have clear access to insert the foam.

4. Insert the polyfoam layers
I used 3 layers of 7mm thick polyfoam. It can be purchased dirt cheap at most supermarkets here. I cut off the 3 layers with different lengths, so i put them together in an overlapped way, to provide a nice curve with gentle, even back support. Insert the layers one after another between the seat foam and the big plastic lumbar support frame. The smaller pieces should be facing towards the front of the seat to maintain a slight curve. You need to experiment a bit to find a position where the foam layers provide comfortable support for your lower back.

5. Reassemble the lumbar knob mechanism
When all done reassemble the lumbar support tightening mechanism, by clipping back the spring to the plastic frame. Be prepared that you will need to use more force, because the whole mechanism is now more tight due to the polyfoam layers inbetween. You will need to hold the spring with a screwdriver or some other tool so you can apply more force upward.

6. Reattach the Seat back cover

I've been testing the modified seat for a few days now, and so far seems to be much more comfortable. I also made some pictures, i will try to post them here. Hope some people with similar problems will find this tutorial useful for their backs...

ps: my hands were injured quite badly by the end of the project, so using working gloves is not a bad idea.

Last edited by kowalski76; 04-08-2013 at 06:34 AM. Reason: adding pictures
Old 04-08-2013, 09:50 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Can't believe that the message board software censors the word k--b if you're not logged in.

Still this is an excellent write-up. I have always felt that turning the adjustment only seems to tighten a very narrow wire in the lower back area.