E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2003 E Class Recall

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 05:24 PM
drb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
2003 E Class Recall

Recall Alert: MERCEDES BENZ E CLASS
Owner Notification Date: Aug 19, 2003
Number of Units Potentially Affected: 554
Component Description: STEERING
NHTSA Campaign Number: 03V289000
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description of Recall Campaign: ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE NUT ON THE BOLT WHICH CONNECTS THE STEERING GEAR TO THE STEERING COUPLING MAY NOT BE TIGHTENED CORRECTLY.
THE LOOSENING OF THE NUT COULD RESULT IN A SLIPPING OF THE CONNECTION OVER TIME, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE VEHICLES AND TIGHTEN THE NUT ON THE BOLT IF NECESSARY. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING AUGUST OR SEPTEMBER 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT MERCEDES-BENZ AT 1-800-367-6372.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:40 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
Hey, drb...

how did you find out about this recall notice? Did you receive contact from MBUSA via mail?

I was told by a regional MB rep that the hydraulic brake pumps on the E class are being sent back to the vendor due to faulty seals. The vendor is supposedly resealing the pumps and then sending them back to MB for use on their cars.

I haven't received any written notice from MBUSA on this brake matter. Buy maybe I don't need a letter since the dealer has had my car for 5 weeks continuously now waiting for my SECOND replacement hydraulic pump.

And, of course, there is still no release date on the part!

Read my other post for update on details...
Old 08-24-2003, 08:06 PM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Re: Hey, drb...

Originally posted by NuBenz
how did you find out about this recall notice? Did you receive contact from MBUSA via mail?

I was told by a regional MB rep that the hydraulic brake pumps on the E class are being sent back to the vendor due to faulty seals. The vendor is supposedly resealing the pumps and then sending them back to MB for use on their cars.

I haven't received any written notice from MBUSA on this brake matter. Buy maybe I don't need a letter since the dealer has had my car for 5 weeks continuously now waiting for my SECOND replacement hydraulic pump.

And, of course, there is still no release date on the part!

Read my other post for update on details...
It came from MSN Autos, and is the NTHSA announcement. Of course, MBUSA is clueless, most likely.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:14 PM

2003 MB E500
Re: Re: Hey, drb...

Originally posted by drb
It came from MSN Autos, and is the NTHSA announcement. Of course, MBUSA is clueless, most likely.
I had my car checked out when it was in for service. I brought a printout of the notice. You're right it was the first they heard about it. Called HQ and checked my car, it was okay, and then kind of blew it off when they noticed it only affected 554 cars.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
I think this was also posted about a week or so ago. Anyway, I finally got around to calling Mercedes this morning about this, and they were aware of it. I gave them my VIN number, and it definitely was not on the recall list. Thanks for the reminder. This is very important information for the 554 cars affected.