E550 4-Matic in the Snow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
E550 4-Matic in the Snow

After that small "accident' I had early on this winter I had lost a lot of fate in 4-Matic as I thought even with new tires I should have been able to get out of that situation better than I did.

So finally later on this winter we've had some moisture and today I had to drive on extremely icy roads from area of the suburbs to the other, and boy were conditions bad. I had to get up a super icy steep hill that was also quite curved at a sharp angle, and other cars including SUVs were struggling to get up, even a few had to pull off the road it was so bad. A rear wheel drive car in front of me couldn't manage even on Blizzaks as it kept slipping off and sliding. My 4-Matic on all-season Michelins got up the hill perfectly and uneventfully with help from ESP and a light foot. Barely even triggered ESP for most of the way up.

Later on my dad, who drives a true 4x4 with gnarly snow tires, took the Benz out for a spirited spin in the now icier neighborhood and said it was almost as good as most purpose-built 4x4s he's driven. While he said he felt the slightly more rear-wheel-drive tendencies in corners, that he was very impressed with the traction it provided in a lot of different conditions from plowed ice to snow pack.

Needless to say that no car works on black ice as I learned with that small accident, but 4-Matic is brilliant in snow and ice and even with wide 255 all-season tires it does incredibly well. When I get the right-sized snow tires mounted on my extra set of wheels this thing will be a beast.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 04-15-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E63
nice, good to see you're getting a hand of the AWD. I had a small mishap in my first car in the snow too. (it was a 2002 Subaru WRX) i also had false sense of control in the AWD. Thankfully it was nothing serious, and from it i learned a few pointers.

Whenever it snows, I always love going to a closed lot and practice a few snow maneuvers here and there, and then pop it back in C and just cruise back home late night to some Smooth Jazz LOL
Old 04-17-2013, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Hahaha good idea. I've done that a little in my school parking lot after hours when there is no one there, and it is quite cool to get the feel of sliding the car around without ESP and then turning it back on.

But as always thanks bro, I am glad I am getting the hang of it too. As much as I hated destroying that new wheel and having to go through that repair process with the curb incident a few months ago, it wasn't a major accident and the car has been fine since. So overall it helped me calm down a lot as a driver before something really bad could have happened, it was a learning experience, really. I've never been an aggressive or bad driver, but I do drive in a spirited manner in this car - so I've just learned to be more conservative when the conditions are bad. Cheers.

Thank God we don't get freezing rain here though. I can't imagine how bad that is, the idea actually scares me. Brings back the feelings of helplessness when skidding on ice.