E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
What do you think about Hoosiers BlackOmega, when I get this Miata racing car project up and running first thing I will change out is the tires and I was looking at a set of Hoosiers
Honestly, I can't say. I've never used Hoosiers. They always seem more of like a drag racing style tire, all out racing tires or just a "normal" A/S that I never bothered with them. When I was young I used to drive really fast so having a good quality tire known for high speed stability and durability was my utmost concern. And when I mean high speed, I'm talking about 145+. Treadwear really wasn't a concern as I always wanted to make it back in one piece.
I found out the hard way that Goodyears weren't very good for my style of driving. I tested a few different models and had mixed results. I tested some GSC's (Corvette tires), and the high speed stability was absolutely horrendous. Once I'd hit ~125 the back end of the car started to get a weird side to side rocking, even at 51 PSI.
Then I tested some Eagle GT's. Those were only good for 75* and sunny. Oh, and they had to have less than 3/32 of tread, so basically slicks.

Originally Posted by Critter
Do you remember the Firestone 500 steel belted radial? They replaced a lot of defective tires. Being young and stupid I thought as long as the tread was good and deep the tires were okay, well the rest is history. Funny my old 70 Challenger had a passion for high test fuel, when I put in reg one day being short of cash the engine would idle around 525 RPM, topped it up soon after with the 94 octane and the idle went back to normal 750 RPM, was it the gas or just the car having a bad day?
Don't remember the FS500's. Back in the day I was a loyal BF Goodrich fan. Their Euro T/A's were effin awesome! Great A/S traction, high speed stability, and the sidewalls were firm enough for most any corner.

In regards tot he fuel, if the engine is built for a particular octane, like premium, if you put anything else in, it just wont run right, especially on a carbureted engine. Not to mention it was probably timed for higher octane as well, so it was far advanced. That's how my mustang was set up. It hated anything lower than 93. It especially LOVED racing fuel, if I could find leaded fuel, it liked that the best.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
I see Hoosier as either a drag tire or track tire too, which is their target market. Being a smaller company though it makes sense you haven't dealt with them as they are specialized. I've just seen them used successfully on some SCCA Club Racing cars.

By the way what car were you driving at 145+ as a young guy?! That sounds awesome and slightly frightening hahaha
Old 04-21-2013, 12:27 AM

2006 E55
No better tires on the road/track. There are better track tires but they are called slicks...lol. Got mine last summer and after a shot bedding in time, and I started to trust (and push) them, the grip is unreal. It makes a 4200 lbs car feel a lot lighter, and while not flickable (its IS a 4300lb car) the steady ate the tires keep the body in allows higher corner speeds (if u dare) seriously strong braking performance without the lockup until you are in the extreme near race level braking. I can get positively silly on the parkways near me, the twisties are now connected to the str8s. Wsn't paying attention to the mileage so I cant attest for wear but the tire is bi-compound, sticky on the inner 2/3 and a very hard but sticky compound on the outer edges. At over 1000 bucks thru tire race, Michelin gives 80 dollar rebate for a set of 4, they are not cheap but imagine trusting a bargain tire right into a road barrier or worse yet, a wall. Now which would be cheaper?
I met some Michelin reps at last year's VIR ALMS race, a pal of mine, Mark P raced for teh Dyson team and invited me, and I told them I sue Michelin tires on my KTM dirt bike, my 14 lb carbon road bicycle and now my cars. They declined to comment if they'd make a commercial around me...lol They are teh best stree/track tires IMHO, but as far as snow, FUGEDDABOUT IT! The tires warn you on the sidewall, DO NOT USE is the temps draw near 35 degrees. I got stuck in 1 inch of snow and spun all over the place, Got stuck in the gas station (more weight on the back) and got stuck 1 block from home. IN good dry 35 degree weather, I woudlnt push it, they feel liek a normal tire which compared to them in their element is greasy. I don't drive my E55 in the winter anyway, storage until the weather breaks. If you have no choice, Id still get these and them some winter only tires. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:30 AM

2006 E55
Get the Michelins

No better tires on the road/track. There are better track tires but they are called slicks...lol. Got mine last summer and after a shot bedding in time, and I started to trust (and push) them, the grip is unreal. It makes a 4200 lbs car feel a lot lighter, and while not flickable (its IS a 4300lb car) the steady ate the tires keep the body in allows higher corner speeds (if u dare) seriously strong braking performance without the lockup until you are in the extreme near race level braking. I can get positively silly on the parkways near me, the twisties are now connected to the str8s. Wsn't paying attention to the mileage so I cant attest for wear but the tire is bi-compound, sticky on the inner 2/3 and a very hard but sticky compound on the outer edges. At over 1000 bucks thru tire race, Michelin gives 80 dollar rebate for a set of 4, they are not cheap but imagine trusting a bargain tire right into a road barrier or worse yet, a wall. Now which would be cheaper?
I met some Michelin reps at last year's VIR ALMS race, a pal of mine, Mark P raced for the Dyson team and invited me, and I told them I sue Michelin tires on my KTM dirt bike, my 14 lb carbon road bicycle and now my cars. They declined to comment if they'd make a commercial around me...lol They are teh best street/track tires IMHO, but as far as snow, FUGEDDABOUT IT! The tires warn you on the sidewall, DO NOT USE is the temps draw near 35 degrees. I got stuck in 1 inch of snow and spun all over the place, Got stuck in the gas station (more weight on the back) and got stuck 1 block from home. IN good dry 35 degree weather, I woudlnt push it, they feel liek a normal tire which compared to them in their element is greasy. I don't drive my E55 in the winter anyway, storage until the weather breaks. If you have no choice, Id still get these and them some winter only tires. Good luck.

Many tire testers and even Ferrari, now shipping them OEM on the F12 Berlinetta, believe that the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is one of the best ultra-high performance tires out on the market right now. From the things I've read about it and the owners I have talked to this is absolutely the truth. Now the W211 is considered more of a "luxury performance car" by 2007 standards, and is definitely not reaching super car performance levels anytime soon, but my hypothetical question is if the Super Sport would be appropriate for the W211 as well? Would it be a waste for a 221hp-507hp(AMG) sedan?

Has anyone run them on an E-Class? I'm curious as the W211 is a heavier car and I don't know if it would REALLY benefit from that type of tire or if it would be a waste of money/performance hindrance. I am happy with my Michelin Primacy MXM4s, very grippy for all seasons and good in snow, but this is just a hypothetical. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:42 AM

2000 E55 AMG
I see Hoosier as either a drag tire or track tire too, which is their target market. Being a smaller company though it makes sense you haven't dealt with them as they are specialized. I've just seen them used successfully on some SCCA Club Racing cars.

By the way what car were you driving at 145+ as a young guy?! That sounds awesome and slightly frightening hahaha
My old 5.0L mustangs, the old foxbodies from the 80's. I've had 10 of them and haven't resold a single one. I broke them all. Some frames twisted, some cracked (it wasn't uncommon to see wrinkled 1/4 panels on these cars from the torque), ripped the rear axle off of one, 1 rusted away. However, my favorite one, I cracked the windshield and the dash down the middle (8" crack) going around a turn.
I drove like a maniac back then. Most people wouldn't get into a car with me. They thought I was
I just liked to drive....
Old 04-21-2013, 07:45 PM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
W205, X253, C190, W213,
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
I am surprised that Pilot Super Sports are favored tires as they are summer tires, with less grip in cold weather and no grip when it is really cold. Most of us drive sedans as transportation cars, not performance cars. I am sure they are great summer tires but I would want All Season tires on any sedan I owned.
Having said that, I had a thread about the Michelin PS Plus A/S tires on my E350...never again. I am very happy, so far, with the Conti DWS tires I put on about 1000 miles ago.
Larry
If it doesn't freeze or rain much where you live you don't need all season tires.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:01 PM

2016 E400, 2015 GLK 350
Wow they do work on this car then, never expected the great reviews. When I go through these tires my next set will definitely be the Pilot Super Sport or their nearest equivalent. How many miles do you expect out of them on this car?
I got around 30k on my first set and am well on the way to that on a second set. We have them on a C350 as well and on a 2004 Durango that I no longer own.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Excellent replies again, and that's consistent with information on both tire wear and handling at low temperatures that I've read about other places.

BlackOmega - I am the same way, nothing better than the feeling of driving fast through twisty roads alone - no music - just your car and yourself. Incredible and unique experience when you're in your own car that you adore.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:14 AM

E350 ML350 SL550 Cruisers 5000 Sedan Sport
I had Pilot Super Sports size 245/40 R20 & 275/35 R20 as my summer tires on my 2008 750i sport w/ a curb weight of 4500-

They were great tires and I got about 25K miles out of them over 4 years of non-winter use. I was very hard on them & pushed the car a lot, I reached terminal velocity often.

When they needed to be replace I had no second thought in buying them again even at over $2K