E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2007 E320 Bluetec Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E320 Bluetec
2007 E320 Bluetec Oil Leak

I searched the forum this morning and could not find anything specific on this one, so I hope someone may be able to offer insight. Although I just signed up today, I have been reading these forums here for years and appreciate all of the help I've received!

I changed my oil in my Bluetec this past weekend. The car currently has 102,000 miles. New filter, ESP oil, etc. After changing the oil and adjusting the oil level to ensure everything was ok, I did a normal check for leaks around the filler cap, oil filter, drain plug, etc. Everything looked ok.

I drove the car yesterday for approx. 200 miles (work, sons golf match, home, etc). Went to pull the car out of the garage this morning and I was horrified to find oil under the car! I popped the hood to take a really fast look as I was switching everything to the other car. At a fast glance, I see oil on top of the plastic engine cover toward the passenger side and oil appeared to be around the filler capish (technical word) area.

Any initial thoughts of what to look for this evening when I get home? Thank you!
Old 04-24-2013, 04:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
Check the current fluid level------ remove the cover---- start the car and watch for oil leaks top and bottom----------
Old 04-24-2013, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Welcome to the forums! I had an oil centrifuge cap break. It was a slower leak and I'm not even sure if the BlueTec engine has this same setup, but it's a guess. The filler cap would be a likely suspect, but I know very little on the topic =\
Old 04-25-2013, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by familymanbob
I searched the forum this morning and could not find anything specific on this one, so I hope someone may be able to offer insight. Although I just signed up today, I have been reading these forums here for years and appreciate all of the help I've received!

I changed my oil in my Bluetec this past weekend. The car currently has 102,000 miles. New filter, ESP oil, etc. After changing the oil and adjusting the oil level to ensure everything was ok, I did a normal check for leaks around the filler cap, oil filter, drain plug, etc. Everything looked ok.

I drove the car yesterday for approx. 200 miles (work, sons golf match, home, etc). Went to pull the car out of the garage this morning and I was horrified to find oil under the car! I popped the hood to take a really fast look as I was switching everything to the other car. At a fast glance, I see oil on top of the plastic engine cover toward the passenger side and oil appeared to be around the filler capish (technical word) area.

Any initial thoughts of what to look for this evening when I get home? Thank you!
Most likely the filler cap; just turn it around the other way. Works for me.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Thumbs up Correct

Originally Posted by pinebaron
Most likely the filler cap; just turn it around the other way. Works for me.

You have hit the nail squarely on the head IMHO.

I find that mine will do the same thing IF the oil fuller cap is not tightened exactly to the correct spot.
Mind you, my car will go 15K miles without needing any additional oil, but it can still
be a little bit messy! I little bit of oil goes a long way in making things messy!

DHG