Closing The Sun Roof With The Emergency Crank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Closing The Sun Roof With The Emergency Crank

I've never had to do it, but would like to know... Where exactly is the hole that this crank goes thru to engage the mechanism? Under the little screen in the ceiling light housing? Behind the lens of the dome light? ... and in an emergency situation, on the road with no tools, how does one open the cosmetic cover to the hole?

Also, BTW... next to our ignition switch, there is a circular screen about the size of a nickel. Occaisionally, I find the screen covered with dust so it must be sucking for some reason... What is it for?

Been wondering about these 2 items since I first got my 04 E500 in Dec '03, and here it is a car and almost 10 years later.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:23 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Cannot comment on the sunroof emergency closed, as I've only read the same as you.

The screen next to the ignition switch aspirates (sucks in) air for cabin temperature measurement. It is used in combination with a similar sensor in the overhead control panel. It is a wise thing to keep it free of dust/lint.

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
I've never had to do it, but would like to know... Where exactly is the hole that this crank goes thru to engage the mechanism? Under the little screen in the ceiling light housing? Behind the lens of the dome light? ... and in an emergency situation, on the road with no tools, how does one open the cosmetic cover to the hole?

Also, BTW... next to our ignition switch, there is a circular screen about the size of a nickel. Occaisionally, I find the screen covered with dust so it must be sucking for some reason... What is it for?

Been wondering about these 2 items since I first got my 04 E500 in Dec '03, and here it is a car and almost 10 years later.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E500
Barry, it's on page 439 in the "Practical Hints" section of your Owner's Manual.