E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Auto shop problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 4Matic
Auto shop problems

Sorry if this is a little long....I just want to know if you guys think this is the norm or am i getting screwed over. There are a few things i have questions on so bear with me here.

1.So I took my car in to get the drivers rear quarter panel repaired. In order for them to do that they have to take out the back glass/window and they ended up breaking it and are trying to make me pay for it(im going thru insurance, but the more the repairs cost the more my rates can go up).

Is this right or should they foot the bill?

2. This takes the repair from 1 weeks to 2.5 weeks (I live in alaska and no junk yards or glass shops have the glass in stock so it takes a while to order). I am footing the rental car bill for all this. I wait the 2.5 weeks and call them and they say it should be finished the next day in the afternoon so the next day I return my rental car and as I am getting a ride to their shop they call me and tell me that "someone at the Mercedes dealership forgot to order the glass" and I will have to wait another 1.5 weeks for the glass to come in.

Should I be responsible for all of the rental coverage(I do not get rental reimbursement) on this or should they at least pay for the extra 1.5 weeks?

3. I wait the extra 1.5 weeks (total time a month now) and call them and they tell me the glass came in and they are "waxing and buffing the car" waiting to install the glass. So i return the rental car for a second time and go there and they tell me that it not there and that it is at the Mercedes dealership because when they put everything back together the dash had all the lights (trac control, check engine, ect.) and none of the electronics were working at all(pwr windows, doors seats, head unit, ect). They said merc dealership is ordering parts and it will be done in 1 week.

They said that i need to pay for this too as it was "out of their control, and nothing that they did to make these problems." I called bs and spoke to the owner of the company over the phone and he said that I am 100% responsible for all of it.(again going thru insurance, but the more it cost the more my premiums can go up) and Have to get a rental car for another week.

Sorry for the novel here, im just trying to make sure im not being screwed and would like some input from you guys on this.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,045 Likes on 968 Posts
1999 E300TD
I vote for you got, getting, will get or are getting screwed-----amazing story---are you an ice road warrior or crab fisherman??
Old 05-11-2013, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Don't worry about your rates going up because you can't control it. You already have your car in the shop with a claim. The additional expense is just part of the one claim.

That said, turn this problem over to your insurance. That's why you pay your premiums. Since this is an insurance claim, make the repair shop submit an additional charge to your insurance company. Your insurance company will either agree to the additional charge, or they won't. If the glass was fine when your car entered the shop, and the electrics were functioning properly, then the shop is responsible for it.

Again, you pay insurance premiums for a reason. Use your insurance company to run point on this. If they tell you you're screwed you can either pay the difference or get a lawyer.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550
this is insane... first, if they broke the glass, they are responsible for it... secondly, as the guy mentioned before, I would load it all up on the insurance company.

Regarding the rental car, many policies cover a rental -- if yours doesn't, then that sucks, but if so, it may be too late, but wouldn't hurt to try to get reimbursement for that too.

I also would try to get the insurance company to fight as much of this for you as possible.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 4Matic
Thanks for the input guys. I called my insurance company because the owner said he is basically gonna charge everything to them. The insurance company transferred me to the claims department and recorded my statement and it seems like they will dispute the charges when they get the bill from the auto shop.

The ****ty thing is renting a rental car out of pocket for 5 weeks is getting pretty effing expensive.......