E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

SBC Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 E350 4Matic
SBC Issue

Hi, I've read it in a number of places on this forum about the bad SBC and its under extended warranty replacement by the MB delaer. I am getting the "Brake Service - Visit Workshop" warning but the brake pads, rotors, sensors etc. have been replaced only 2 weeks ago. I took the car into a MB Dealership and they wanted to troubleshoot a short wiring issue and wanted me to pay for a 3 hour diagnostic. I didn't do that and came back to my local mechanic and he checked the whole thing once again, replaced the brake switch, checked for any wiring disconnects and everything was fine. The MB dealer told me that it 'could' be the SBC but we aren't sure, it could be anything.... the usual BS that you get from a dealer (with due respect!!).

My question is: how do I convince the dealer to repalce the SBC without getting dinged for a 3 hour diag charge ? Any/all suggestions welcome. Thank you.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,045 Likes on 968 Posts
1999 E300TD
Ask the dealer what it would cost to do a "quick test" and provide you with a copy!! Simple as that.

The quick test is the first step in diagnostic chain---it just lists what modules you have and if there is a fault(F) associated with the module---should take no more that 30 minutes!!
Old 05-20-2013, 02:49 PM

'06 E350 4Matic
Thanks for the quick response Plutoe. I suppose the 'quick test' revealed the 'wiring' issue and then they wanted to do the full diags for 2-3 hours to know exactly what to fix. They did give me a printout but that is clear as mud, it could this or it could be that kind of a summary. I simply want them to replace the SBC but that conversation didn't go anywhere as their quick test pointed towards a possible brake wiring problem.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,045 Likes on 968 Posts
1999 E300TD
Either you are fooling us or the dealer is also fooling you---a quick test dosen't say ANYTHING it just prints out the modules on the car and then you see and (F) for fault or a check mark by each module------no BS or explanination----what's the problem!!
Old 05-20-2013, 03:58 PM

'06 E350 4Matic
I am not fooling you or anyone else, I am the one struggling with the dealer!!!

Maybe I mixed up the terminology, perhaps there was NO quick test performed at all. As you suggested, I will ask the dealer how much to do the quick test and go from there...