E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Intermittent Wipers update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent Wipers update

Hello All,

I just wanted to tupdate everyone on the intermittent wiper issue. I had many complaints to my dealer concering the wipers working sporatically. I had my windshield replaced about 2 months ago due to a crack. I requested for OEM replacement, I inspected the new windshield before installation and the light/rain sensor was already installed on the windshield. The old cracked windshield sensor was discarded.

After about 2 months of using the wipers after the new windshield, it is about 200% improvement. I am now very happy with the performance of the wipers. I can't explain why it works better except for the fact that it had a new sensor on glass. Perhaps, this is why the dealers could not fix this annoying problem with a software upgrade?

This is just a FYI.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:35 AM

2013 GL550
I also had problems with the rain sensing wiper operation - it would start OK when it got wet but sometimes would never stop wiping. They found a bad cable in the sensor area that eventually leads to the control stalk. No problems since then. Good luck with yours!

Bruce
Old 09-03-2003, 09:40 AM

2003 MB E500
Re: Intermittent Wipers update

Originally posted by i8hotdogs
Hello All,

I just wanted to tupdate everyone on the intermittent wiper issue. I had many complaints to my dealer concering the wipers working sporatically. I had my windshield replaced about 2 months ago due to a crack. I requested for OEM replacement, I inspected the new windshield before installation and the light/rain sensor was already installed on the windshield. The old cracked windshield sensor was discarded.

After about 2 months of using the wipers after the new windshield, it is about 200% improvement. I am now very happy with the performance of the wipers. I can't explain why it works better except for the fact that it had a new sensor on glass. Perhaps, this is why the dealers could not fix this annoying problem with a software upgrade?

This is just a FYI.
Any problem with replacing the windshield itself? I have to have mine replaced on Friday due to a factory defect in the glass. I'm worried about damage or appearance issues. My dealer contracts this kind of work out.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:09 AM

No prblems with the install. I actually took my car in to Safelite shop in my area and I watched them install it. It took to guys 40 minutes to install, no problems.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:00 AM

2003 MB E500
Originally posted by i8hotdogs
No prblems with the install. I actually took my car in to Safelite shop in my area and I watched them install it. It took to guys 40 minutes to install, no problems.
Great to hear that thank. They said they had to keep it over night to dry in my case.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:55 PM
Almost a Member!

BMW E39 M5
Originally posted by rayscar
Great to hear that thank. They said they had to keep it over night to dry in my case.
They're right. If the window is not seated properly, you can get leaks, wind noise and even worse - reduced body stiffness and possibility of the windshield cracking.

It might take them 40 minutes to replace the windshield, but you'll still need keep the car immobile for at least 12 hours.