E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Headrest Fore-Aft Adjustment Stuck

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E280 CDI Sport
Headrest Fore-Aft Adjustment Stuck

Hi, I've just purchased a 2007 E280 CDI Sport - great - however, the drivers' seat headrest is stuck fully out (towards me). In fact, by comparison with the Pax side, it looks like the front portion of the headrest has been pulled out beyond the frame where I can get my fingers into the plastic mechanism inside the headrest. However, I cannot find anything to press or pull to enable the front section to retract or push back.

Any ideas on how I might retract the front part of my headrest other than brute force and risk of breakage?

The Pax side pulls fore and aft normally; indeed, it does not pull forward to the extent that the drivers' side has been pulled - drivers' side is a good 20mm further forward and away from its frame and stuck solid; hence why I can get my fingers into the mechanism.

Any help/advice gratefully received

Many Thanks

Wolfie Souter
2007 E280 CDI Sport
Westbury, Wiltshire
Old 08-23-2013, 08:45 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Was the car involved in a rear end collision? It sounds like the active head restraints have deployed.
Attached Thumbnails Headrest Fore-Aft Adjustment Stuck-headpro.jpg  
Old 08-23-2013, 09:02 AM

2007 E280 CDI Sport
Originally Posted by apl175
Was the car involved in a rear end collision? It sounds like the active head restraints have deployed.
Not been involved in a rear end collision as far as I am aware - no evidence of any damage or repairs.

There doesn't look as if there is anything inside the head rest except plastic cantilever sections, ie, no motors or solenoids. I don't know what active head restraints are supposed to look like.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:52 PM

2007 E280 CDI Sport
Originally Posted by apl175
Thanks for your advice. Having noted and viewed your attachment, I can confirm that the drivers' side active head restraint had indeed deployed where the instructions posted enabled me to reset it ... I had to improvise with the reset tool because mine is missing, but sorted.

Thank you very much for your time plus advice!

Regards

Wolfie Souter