Dead Battery, Dead Car!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 02:45 AM
ICY
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dead Battery, Dead Car!!!

My car was retrofitted with COMMAND on Wednesday, and I was fiddling with it last night in the garage.

However, I accidentally left the key in the ignition on position 1 overnight (around 12 hours). I went downstairs to see if I could start it again, but........nothing. They key would not turn in the ignition. I pulled it out, and put it in again, but it wouldn't turn at all. Same deal if I used the other key.

I assumed the battery was dead, even though I'd left it in position 1 without any lights/radio etc. on. I couldn't even open the boot with the key for some reason!

Called Mercedes Roadside Assist and the guy came and magically popped my boot open with the key (perhaps I wasn't doing it right). He jump-started the car from the back battery and told me to leave it running for 40 minutes. I went to drive it, and then the ESP warning came up on the display. This was immediately followed by the red battery warning sign, telling me to go straight to a Mercedes Service Centre. So, off I went to the Service Centre.

After 2 hours of waiting around, they service advisor said that something was wrong with the BCM (battery control module)- that it wasn't charing the battery properly, and hence it had drained itself, not helped by the fact the key was left in the ignition.

They'd obtained a print-out of the faults list, and at first, they thought perhaps the jump-starting may have 'over-surged' the battery or electronics. But it seems that whatever this BCM thing is was just faulty. The faulty BCM subsequently caused faults in the ESP, Sensotronic etc. Not sure about the sunroof. I did notice that the brake pedal required a lot more force and travel than normal to acquire the same amount of stopping power.

I asked them whether the recently fitted COMMAND had anything to do with it, and they said no.

Have any of you had this or similar electrical problems? I was reading some old threads, and it seems that some of you have had some electrical problems, with the big red battery warning light. Is it true the car has 2 batteries? I never noticed that..!!! My car is a 2003 E320 Avantgarde/Sport, without Keyless Go.

This is so annoying- it means I won't have the car for the weekend, and hopefully, it won't take too long to fix next week. *SIGH*

Last edited by ICY; 09-12-2003 at 02:56 AM.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:52 AM

W211 & Q7
pure a dead battery issue

I wonder why the roadside assistant did not replace a new battery for you. (some bad battery cannot be charged -- it needs to be replaced) anyway, running 40 minutes means driving car around 40 minutes (in highway) -- staying on the same spot may not be able to fully charge battery back.

each time after dead battery, you have to go back to dealer to reset settings. (before reset, you should not drive more than 55 mph because of brake.)

by the way, when battery is dead, you are not able to turn the key -- it is locked. (you did it right and there is no magic !). the guy was able to turn the key because your battery was cabled to his battery.

the car has two batteries because it is power hog. your battery may under "safe" level for a while due to short distance driving.

try to install a trickle charger -- search this forum. I actually did it and I charge my car once a month to make sure the battery level at the best condition -- you can feel it by seeing lights (lighter) and listen radio(better sound quality).
Old 09-12-2003, 09:05 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
ICY: This may be of interest http://www.mbusalearning.com/w211ele...tion/index.htm

click on the Dual Battery link on the left.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:26 AM
ICY
Almost a Member!

Thanks...

Thanks for the info Otto, jim256.

I hope they reset everything properly and give me a new battery. After reading all the older threads, it seems everything went down in sympathy when the battery died, mainly the brakes which was scary.

Naturally, everything is under warranty, but I certainly didn't expect the battery to drop out so quickly, after 7 months!! I know I hardly drive the car- it's only done 3600 km since January- but still..... :o The dealer said this has NEVER happened to any Australian delivered car.....

My primary concern was what the dealer called this BCM unit. I'd never heard of it and can't find it anywhere on the forums. No one's heard of that before?
Old 09-12-2003, 09:31 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
ICY: In the link I posted, it covers all the topics in the pull down menu list, but here's the specifics on the BCM:

http://www.mbusalearning.com/w211ele...ttery/pg11.htm
Old 09-12-2003, 09:37 AM
ICY
Almost a Member!

Thumbs up

Thanks jim- I found it just as I sent the previous message.

As Australia is behind the rest of the world with internet-connection standards, my dial-up modem is having a hard time loading the mbusaleaning website, especially the videos!!

Cheers mate
Old 09-12-2003, 11:30 AM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
Originally posted by jim256
ICY: This may be of interest http://www.mbusalearning.com/w211ele...tion/index.htm

click on the Dual Battery link on the left.
jim256... excellent link! Thanks...
Old 09-12-2003, 11:45 AM

2013 GL550
I had a similar problem - I accidentally left the parking lights on and came back to a dead car. Roadside assistance came and jumped the battery but the dealer replaced the same part - the battery control module. No problems since. When your battery is real low the car shuts off things like the passenger seat controls, seat heaters, etc. until you drive enough to charge it back up. Plus you get the red battery display.

Bruce