Bluetooth Puck - Works but it's Terrible

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Bluetooth Puck - Works but it's Terrible

Greetings MBWorld.. Long time reader, first time poster

Hoping you guys can help me and others that have this problem. Just after I bought my 2005 e320 CDI last year, I bought a Viseeo. I realized I couldn't install because I don't have the MHI/UHI in my armrest so I installed the puck w harness. It reliably connects, makes and receives calls but people have such a hard time hearing me that I typically just answer and switch right to my phone. Especially my clients.

The most annoying thing is that we bought a prius for the company shortly afterward and the bluetooth is incredible. I don't have to wait a second for the other person to stop talking before speaking.. Don't have to lean in. I know 05s have the old rearview with the 4 mics on the bottom but even when I lean in and tilt the rearview to the ceiling I'm still hearing, "What?" after every other word.

Before I read about the mic change, I also heard that 05s had a Voice Control Unit problem so I bought and swapped that.. No difference. I also disassembled the rearview and retrofitted a mic from one of the Cisco Conference Unit's we sell in my company. No difference. I'm reluctant to buy the 07 rearview because I've already wasted so much time/money on this problem and I feel it'd just be another stab in the dark. I still have the Viseeo. I hear its much better but I don't know how to adapt it w/o MHI.

Glad to have a forum like this. Thanks for any feedback anyone has
Old 10-02-2013, 12:52 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
It is very difficult to diagnose this issue. The microphone array on the rear view mirror is very prone to noise, even in the 2007 facelift version, but your callers should be able to hear you without too much trouble even before this.

Have you tried to pair and use another phone (different brand, etc.) and heard any difference?

Unfortunately, this is where the diagnosis sequence ends without the use of a STAR computer. It is possible, though unlikely that the communications platform was coded incorrectly at the factory so that the system does not know which rear view mirror model you have. It is also possible to adjust the gain of the microphones, however it is strange that the default setting does not produce reasonable volume.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:40 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Well.. I decided to give the Viseeo a shot.. I went ahead and bought the supporting plate so I could dock the unit and try it out: http://www.benzpartswholesale.com/OE...308200511.html

I'll let everyone know how it turns out. I'm very picky about voice quality (esp. considering how much IP Telephony we work with) so it should be a pretty good guage for others having this same problem.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:46 PM

2003 E500 (W211)
Originally Posted by JonathanHazan
Well.. I decided to give the Viseeo a shot.. I went ahead and bought the supporting plate so I could dock the unit and try it out: http://www.benzpartswholesale.com/OE...308200511.html

I'll let everyone know how it turns out. I'm very picky about voice quality (esp. considering how much IP Telephony we work with) so it should be a pretty good guage for others having this same problem.

So how did it go?