E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Check Engine/Fluid on Wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 03:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2003 Mercedes-Benz E500
Check Engine/Fluid on Wheel

Hey guys I have a 2003 E500 with a few problems here.

The first that I noticed is that when I use my left turn signal, there seems to be some kind of resistance along with a weird tick that occurs. I also hear this tick sometimes when I make a left turn.

Along with that, I have a significant amount of brake dust accumulating on my front wheels, which I know is normal, but on the front right wheel specifically, there seems to be some kind of fluid leaking onto my wheel. Took it to a guy that does brakes and tires for Mercedes pretty often, he said I wasn't leaking any brake fluid or anything.
This stuff began to accumulate on the wheel about a week and a half ago, and just today I got a check engine light. I'm a little bit worried and was also wondering if a check engine light comes on when I need an oil change, or if it will specifically tell me that I need oil when I need oil, because my recommended oil change is in about 900 miles but I drive the **** out of my car.

Thanks for any help I appreciate it.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:02 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
2007 E350 Sedan
I am not entirely sure, but is the windshield washer fluid reservoir located over your right front wheel bay? It is in mine, and it leaked out right there. I am wondering if the light you got was an indicator light for low washer fluid?
Old 10-03-2013, 09:08 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,048 Likes on 970 Posts
1999 E300TD
Re signal ticking-------sounds like you have a switch that is going bad---aint a cheap repair!!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:41 PM

2003 Mercedes-Benz E500
It could quite possibly be that jimbo. My washer fluid is definitely right above that wheel, just checked.

Could the check engine light also possibly go on if I put in too much brake fluid?
I've been trying to figure out how to flush it out on my own without taking it to a mechanic because I also read that all Mercedes over the past 25 years take DOT3 braking fluid, and I thought I was low on the fluid because I couldn't see any in the reservoir. Then, after pouring in too much DOT3 (it topped off a bit), I realized that the cap for my brake fluid said DOT4+ braking fluid only.

I really messed up. Was wondering if too much brake fluid could also end in result of the check engine light.
Thank you though, the washer fluid definitely makes sense. I just can't figure out if it's leaking or not because my car should tell me if my washer fluid is low.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:41 PM

2003 Mercedes-Benz E500
Shoot. Is it bad for me to ignore it or is it urgent that I fix it?

I try not to use my left turn signal as often as possible now because of it.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:56 PM

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2007 cls550
You aren't going to get a check engine light on brake fluid and it isn't too much drama that you topped off with dot3. However, you should remedy it. I have a motive pressure bleeder which works fantastic but I accidentally drained my master when changing calipers and I had to pay $120 (Indy, not dealer) to bleed the brakes because I needed Star to cycle the ABS system while bleeding. Pedal is rock solid now. You might want to go this route and then invest in a pressure bleeder for later.