Engine mounts or tranmission mounts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 03:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E320 2004 model Silver sedan
Engine mounts or tranmission mounts?

I will need your advise and help.
Recently i have experienced a few wierd issues with my car and all within 2 months period.

FIRST ISSUE:
The car started to hum when idle. If i stop at a red light i feel the car humming on and off. (hmmmm.....smooth....hmmmmm...smooth...)
dont know if this is due to spark plugs? or something electrical? it improved a little after i changed my engine oil.

SECOND ISSUE:
My car vibrates when i put it in gear and take off. more like when i am driving at a speed of 10-20mph i hear vibration on my dashboard and inside the car. once i catchup to normal speed it goes away.
dont know if issue one and issue 2 are due to the same problem.
dont know what the problem is...
could it be the engine mounts or transmission mount?

what is the difference in engine mount and transmission mount?
how can i tell the difference and identify what needs to be replaced. do both cause same vibration?

PLEASE HELP ME!
Old 11-26-2013, 08:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
You won't have to worry about any of this if MB doesn't pick up the faulty SBC pump.

I assume the car is at the dealer-----didn't you ask them about the hum and two you were at the dealer didn't you ask then to check on the condition of the motor and transmission mounts. As to your last question---------what is the difference in engine mount and transmission mount?

how can i tell the difference and identify what needs to be replaced. do both cause same vibration?--------------

a motor mount insulates the motor from the chassis---failure---fluid loss

a transmission mount insulates the transmission from the chassis----failure drive shaft vibration

Based upon your experience you lack the knowledge to determine when to replace the motor and or transmission mounts----have a professional do that!! Then you can take the grandkids out for dinner!!!
Old 11-27-2013, 09:18 AM

yes i did ask them but they said it will be a seperate diagnostic fee for each of the item. really????

yes i dont know how to troubleshoot this and thats why i was asking for help...everyone does something for the first time in their life before they become experts....im very knowledgible on most of the stuff in the vehicle and wanted to get some help troubleshooting this but i guess im at the wrong place..but hey thanks for the advise!!!! so kind of you!
Old 11-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
That's what businesses do in an free enterprise system. They typically are for profit and therefore charge for services and products.

Now if you want something for free or at no charge, thats at the discretion of the business owner.

If you want some motor mount learning, most forums have a search button for that purpose.

I am sure that if you wanted to learn about motor mounts you would do a search as there are hundreds of threads on the topic. Then if you do not understand a particular aspect of motor and transmission mounts ask!!
Old 11-28-2013, 02:00 PM

and thats exactly what i did..you read my question one more time and you will know.i didn't ask how to do it but how to tell what is needed first..already searched but nothing tell me the difference.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E500 sport (sold), 2009 GL450, w213 E63 (waiting for ordering guide)
Man, Plutoe is a real helpful fella. We need more people like you to keep this planet a better place with people who aren't sarcastic and help out kindly. Cheers
Old 11-30-2013, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
Originally Posted by dewana421
I will need your advise and help.
Recently i have experienced a few wierd issues with my car and all within 2 months period.

FIRST ISSUE:
The car started to hum when idle. If i stop at a red light i feel the car humming on and off. (hmmmm.....smooth....hmmmmm...smooth...)
dont know if this is due to spark plugs? or something electrical? it improved a little after i changed my engine oil.

SECOND ISSUE:
My car vibrates when i put it in gear and take off. more like when i am driving at a speed of 10-20mph i hear vibration on my dashboard and inside the car. once i catchup to normal speed it goes away.
dont know if issue one and issue 2 are due to the same problem.
dont know what the problem is...
could it be the engine mounts or transmission mount?

what is the difference in engine mount and transmission mount?
how can i tell the difference and identify what needs to be replaced. do both cause same vibration?

PLEASE HELP ME!
Vibration between 10 and 20 mph during acceleration could be center driveshaft bearing and mount. Have the bearing and flex disc checked. If you have to replace the bearing then also replace the mount and two flex disc to save later on labor cost.

Last edited by homeofstone; 11-30-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:19 AM

Replaced my transmission mount and vibration went away.
I made a video and posted it. Hope it helps someone.
The following users liked this post:
4jaay (09-17-2023)