MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   DO NOT waive your rights! (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/52549-do-not-waive-your-rights.html)

konigstiger 11-17-2003 05:11 PM

DO NOT waive your rights!

(1) MB dealerships are licensed franchises of DaimlerChrysler AG / MBUSA – true or false?
(2) Franchise: The permission to sell a product, often within a specified territory, granted to a retailer by the manufacturer – true or false?
(3) The "franchiser" (manufacturer) without exception, has total control over the "franchisee" (retailer) as it pertains to product representation and integrity – true or false?
(4) If a franchisee consistently meets or exceeds satisfaction benchmarks supported in writing the franchiser has little legal reason to question the franchisee no matter the number of verbal accusations made by buyers – true or false?
(5) It is illegal for a franchisee to instruct customers to falsify documents submitted to the franchiser – true or false?

Initial Buyer Survey
No matter what it’s called, survey or questionnaire, this is a legal corporate document.

NEVER rate any category higher than satisfied, good, or somewhat likely no matter what the dealership instructs you to do!!
ALWAYS record negative comments (no matter how trivial) where the form requests comments that MBUSA should be aware of. Be specific and detailed! Attach a second sheet with your name, address, and VIN number and continue to list your information if necessary. Be sure to note “see attached sheet” in the original comments section.
DO NOT fall for the dealership’s shtick “If you cannot rate any question as best on the initial buyer survey from MBUSA speak to us first so that we may have a chance to correct it before submitting.” BS! It’s your call, but common sense dictates that the franchiser has a much better chance than you in getting the matter resolved so why waive this right in the first place?
COPY everything submitted for your records.

If the situation should arise where you are not satisfied with a matter after the sale and did not have an opportunity to note it on the initial buyer survey, file an appendage to your original document. Note the date and file number (top right hand corner) listed on your initial buyer survey. Each and every time you are not satisfied with your dealership, no matter what the issue (inclusive of repair), file an appendage and request assistance to have the matter resolved!

Paul G. Juron
General Manager
Customer Assistance Center
Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC
Three Paragon Drive
Montvale, NJ 07645-0345
Fax: 201-476-6211

Lastly, if you think you’re hurting your relationship with those who assisted in the sale or repair looking for favors down the line, think again given the high turnover rate for MB sales and service writer personnel.

etenn 11-17-2003 06:09 PM

I agree that the dealer sales and/or service staff directing you to give them a perfect rating is BS.

We have seen post and post over the last year where the salesman or service manager has demanded, whined, bribed, and all other methods to get people to send in a false satisfaction survey.

It has been reported in the past that in the face of the worst possible sales service......a demand for a perfect survey was made.....maybe with an offer of a coffee mug or a tee shirt.

I think this is all BS and the survey should be accurate as you can make it. It will never affect the way you are treated. It you are serviced poorly before the survey, you can rest assured that you will be treated poorly after the survey. No matter what you report.

Easy for me to say as I have been fortunate to have top service and sales treatment.:D But......I would not hesitate for one instant to tell it like it is.

_________
Ed

MBZman 11-17-2003 07:02 PM

Funny you should bring this up, my brother just received a phone call (a couple of days ago) from his service advisor. The advisor told him he would be receiving a survey about his recent service. If my brother would be kind enough to allow the advisor to fill out the survey FOR him the dealership would give him a free detail ($175 value) and a loaner car. He advised my brother that poor ratings on surveys were jeopardizing jobs and he didn't want to get fired. MB dealerships have really been scrambling since the last J.D. Powers survey.

E55AMG99 11-17-2003 07:19 PM

It's pathetic that the dealers would try to cheat the system instead of improving their service.

FWIW, Smythe in San Jose also asks that anything less than top marks be brought to their attention so the problem can be corrected. My family has been with them for several decades and NEVER had a problem that needed escalation.

abhansali 11-17-2003 11:05 PM

There is a fine line here....if the dealer wants to fill it out for you, I think that is crossing the line, but I like what Smythe does, it gives them the opportunity to correct a failing. The survey is the way they find out about a failing, but if you fill it and send it in, then they find out after it's too late to do anything about it...I would not mind if the dealer approached me with a similar approach taken by Smythe.

I will say that I think this process is flawed at MB. If they want to fix problems with dealers and service, they should not just rely on a survey at the end of the process (at which point the customer may already be upset), they should implement a model, where an owner has a defined escalation path in the dealership during the process of buying/service and then to MBUSA, and then someone at MBUSA is assigned to address the problem with the dealership. If they did this, most surveys at the end of the process would always be positive, thus achieving the restoration of the image of the mark. Take Baby Jocko's example in the previous post, with this process, his issue could easily be resolved and he would be a happy customer.

Anyone that has worked in a big company is used this kind of professional escalation process for issues.

alewifebp 11-18-2003 10:52 AM

I agree with abhansali. It is all about the way that the dealer approaches the situation. There should always be a point to where if a problem exists, that the dealer should WANT to know about it so that they can fix it. One so that they don't have any issues with MB corporate, but mainly the reason should be so that they keep the customer happy, ie, the reason that they are in business in the first place (well, to make money too).

I've seen a lot of different industries that have had changes happen and exposes the fact that service is key. Now, the differences between different brands in cars, as well as with a lot of other things, is diminishing. Service has to be something that sets them apart.

When I had my Lexus, I always answered them accurately, and my dealer had always offered in a follow up call to make sure that everything was OK and asked if anything could be done to make it better.

Although, MB should have a question as to whether you would like for this information to be shared with your dealer, anonymously. If you had this option, I'm sure a lot more people would answer their surveys more candidly.

jim256 11-18-2003 02:28 PM

My dealer, on a mailed pre-survey from the dealership simply says: "If there's anything that would prompt you to rate our performance less than outstanding, please let us have the opportunity to correct the problem first."

That's fair.

etenn 11-18-2003 02:49 PM

Originally posted by jim256
My dealer, on a mailed pre-survey from the dealership simply says: "If there's anything that would prompt you to rate our performance less than outstanding, please let us have the opportunity to correct the problem first."

That's fair.

I agree.

What is not right is the outright bribe that some dealers offer. Most of those seem to be the ones with the worst sales/service operations.

It must work and must be easier than cleaning up their operation.

It you participate in the deception you are only adding to the continued sleezy operation. It will never get any pressure to clean up from MB.

The survey is very important to the dealership. The allotment of cars is somewhat based on the surveys. I understand the hold-back is based on the survey also. A dealership that does not go all out to earn the "perfect" score deserves the pressure it gets.

Maybe MarcusBenz can enlighten us as to the importance of the survey to the dealership.

jl88 11-18-2003 03:57 PM

duh..

Salesrep get commission based off of the survey.. that's why its so important to them

Greed is the answer to 99% of all questions!!!

pfphipps 11-18-2003 05:58 PM

Sorry but I hate those damn things. I almost never fill one out. I consider it a waste of time. They can fill it out if they want to because I will not. If the dealer was not doing a good job, I might consider it but they are great. I have found if you are nice to them, they treat you nice as well. Not that there has never been a problem but if there was, it was always fixed and more.

e500 11-18-2003 08:34 PM

I find it interesting that MB sends us surveys both shortly after delivery and then again a year later. they concentrate almost solely on the dealer (sales & service).

Why is it they never ask us what we think about the car itself. Design, engineering, opinions of features offered or omitted, etc.

konigstiger 11-24-2003 05:12 PM

I.E.:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...728#post531728

E55AMG99 11-24-2003 05:30 PM

Originally posted by e500
I find it interesting that MB sends us surveys both shortly after delivery and then again a year later. they concentrate almost solely on the dealer (sales & service).

Why is it they never ask us what we think about the car itself. Design, engineering, opinions of features offered or omitted, etc.

The manufacturers seem to rely on outside agencies like JD Power and others to gather post sales vehicel impressions as well as potential new vehicle research. At least that's what I've seen after every new car I've purchased in the past.

Maybe MB wants to keep their problems internal?

rmeltz1 12-02-2003 12:57 PM

My dealer always asked that I bring in "the survey" to them for a free tank of gas. I usually did - until I noticed in bold print on the survey itself, "DO NOT RETURN TO YOUR DEALERSHIP. USE THE ENCLOSED SELF ADDRESSED POSTAGE PAID ENVELOPE"

For once, I returned it myself with a couple misgivings about the number of times my 03 E500 has been in for repairs and that some items were still not fixed properly. Where it asked, "WOULD YOU BUY ANOTHER MB" I marked "Somewhat Unlikely".

A couple weeks later, I received a call from Customer Service in Montvale asking if everything was resolved to my satisfaction. I never returned the call. But I did recieve a surprise GIFT - A Mercedes Benz wool blanket. I hope they keep trying. However, I believe Schremmp has done to Mercedes-Benz what Eisner has done to Disney.....

RMELTZ

pat a. 12-02-2003 08:08 PM

I have always found it incredibly annoying that the dealerships put so much pressure on you to provide a greta survey. In my opinion, this issue has gotten way out of hand!

When I bouhgt my new vehicle at Ray Catena, I had a deal negoiated for a price on the car, but financed via leasing. When I went to take delivery, the sales manager quoted me a money factor that was 0.5% over the tier one factor. When I challenged them on it, the answer was that "we have a right to make a financing premium on the car". They eventually backed down, but on the relavnt questions on the survey for financing, I rated them poorly. Believe it or not, I got a call form the salesperson giving me a hard time, telling me "you cost me 100 dollars".

MBUSA needs to address the survey process, there is no way they are getting realisic results given the way they do it now.

E55AMG99 12-02-2003 08:10 PM

Originally posted by pat a.
I got a call form the salesperson giving me a hard time, telling me "you cost me 100 dollars".
I hope you told him to "Take a hike" and found a new salesperson.

Unprofessional!

marksatex 12-02-2003 09:56 PM

You know I had a truly rough experiance having my wheel fall off after a service tech balanced my tires. But maintaining my cool and treating the service folks and the GM as pleasant and even as humorously as I could, we turned the event into a good relationship. Now don'tr mistake that for me lowering my standards or secumbing to any bribery. If there is anything wrong I am sure to let them know, but in a friendly way. It goes a long way. I will keep my documentation of thw wheels,and any surveys and while I will give them a chance to make things right, they know that means they need to not happen again either. I think my dealer treated me right on this deal and I actually would hesitate using another. all in my Opinion

michael10128 12-06-2003 01:05 AM

I got roped into the survey thing back in 2000.
My sales guy, who should be selling used Buicks, gave me a cheap bottle of champagne & a key fob. This gift also included inept and condescending service techs.

I have four repair requests - my new car has 1K miles on it. I will base my survey on:

a. how quickly they take my car and provide a loaner
b. if the repairs are made correctly and expeditiously.

Carnaught 12-06-2003 12:55 PM

I agree with the above posts.

I refuse to be bribed by the dealership in exchange for a (falsely) positive survey. Years ago I took the free detail on a Mercedes and found it to be nothing more than a cursory car wash with armour-all'd wheels. I felt badly they got away with it. Another survey (Jaguar) that I filled in honestly but critically, caused them to try harder with future servicing. Now, I either fill out the survey honestly or if they're really trying, I hold the survey or don't send it in at all.:beat:

mleskovar 12-06-2003 04:40 PM

Surveys....

The sales manager at my dealer explained that dealer employee income and employment are dependent on survey results. Having been in the same situation (computer service business) I can say that is the wrong use of survey results.
Unfortunately businesses today want quick fixes and answers and feel punishment at the customer interface level (the bottom) works bests. Satisfaction surveys should be used at a high level only (maximum respondents) to analyze the processes involved and make corrections. Rarely can survey results be accurate to the individual person unless a 'significant statistical' measurement has been met. Don't blame the dealers, blame MB for putting the pressure at the wrong place. Instead of looking at employee failures they should worry more about training, diagnostics, problem feedback, and quality. Do you think Lexus just happens to hire all the best auto workers in the business? MB is too arrogant to believe they are doing anything wrong.

konigstiger 12-06-2003 05:34 PM

Re: Surveys....

Originally posted by mleskovar
The sales manager at my dealer explained that dealer employee income and employment are dependent on survey results.
OH!! Don’t blame the dealers. Read the forums. Their salary depends on it indeed. It is my opinion that Daimler/Chrysler AG / MBUSA produce the product as best they could inclusive of providing the know-how and the parts to make the repairs successful (MBUSA regional SPOMs almost always are hands on supporting the dealerships). Now then, DEALERS do one thing and one thing only (whether it’s sales or service) – DEAL. Once again, they (no all mind you, but they’re there) lie, cheat, and steal if they can get away with it to make what? The DEAL! Far from me to deprive anyone from making a living but if you use questionable and dishonest tactics to put bread on your table… All I can say is “This is not the Sopranos.” Dealerships consist of peddlers. Peddle by way of ignoring potential prospects who are dressed in dungarees, peddle by way of incompetence where the customer actually knows more than you about the product, peddle by way of repeatedly passing the blame on someone else, peddle by way of not staying in close contact with your client concerning his or her ordered product, pe4ddle by way of arrogance well then, I for one cannot, in all honesty, worry too much about this peddler’s income. Lets just say for argument sake that MBUSA receives the majority of their 2004 surveys as “average or satisfactory” with an occasional betterment do you really think ALL these peddlers are going to loose their income. Sure they’ll be a shakeup but remember cream always rises to the top. We need to raise eyebrows so things will be as they should as I understand they once were.

konigstiger 12-07-2003 01:30 PM

To get the best understanding of this matter please be sure to also read:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=54310

konigstiger 12-07-2003 07:14 PM

Associated thread, please be sure to record your experience(s)

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=54539

konigstiger 12-30-2003 12:00 PM

Welp, Back To Square One......#$%@!

Mr.Xristo

Could not have said it any better...
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=56016

konigstiger 01-01-2004 12:18 PM

Advice on handling unresponsive salesperson

Proof positive.

BoughtaBenz
I knew more about the car then even their General Manager, and that's a Shame!

drb
Each one said they did not know how the Internet worked, how to use email, etc.

Considering the three people I have dealt with at the dealership are often clueless about vehicle problems, service bulletins, etc. I suggested an information source with usually well informed people. Seems simple enough

Rudegar
Most are not savvy or interested

HELL ONA HARLEY
Have you ever been to the dealership on sunday afternoon??? I swear, every sales drone on the floor is in front of the tube watching the football game...

rgbyhkr
Hell, my original local salesguy was so uncomfortable finding his way around the computer that I had to show him where some of the menu items were in his Netstar screen and this guy has been a salesman for years!

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=55914