E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Oil leak - FRONT of engine? (642 engine)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 E320 Bluetec
Oil leak - FRONT of engine? (642 engine)

OK, I've searched and read the threads about the various possible leaks on the diesel engine (642) including the turbo seal, oil cooler and rear main seal.

Does the oil cooler leak ever look like it's coming from the front of the engine?

I've got drips on the floor and when I changed the oil a couple of weeks ago, it was all over the back of the engine and back of the oil pan area as well as having blown down the length of the car.

The oil plug was dry as a bone, as was the front of the oil pan. There were traces of oil on the left side (dirver's side) of the block, too.

Yesterday, after an airport run (~2.5 hours), when I got home, there was smoke coming from under the car and the engine compartment, so I did some investigating. I pulled the air intake tube and checked the turbo seals and they were normal, with a trace of oil there but nothing major. When looking around the engine compartment, I noticed that the front of the engine had oil residue all over it with a fresh drip clearly visible on the serpentine belt (right/passenger side) when I pulled the intake tube going to the air filter.

I didn't pull the black shroud blocking the view to the whole front of the engine because I don't have the reverse torx sockets yet, so can't say where it's originating from.

Will the oil cooler leak to the front of the engine? What else might it be?

I have an appointment in the morning at the dealer. Problem is, I'm 1800 miles and 3.5 months out of warranty. We'll see what they say, but I thought I'd see what other options might be going on to go in somewhat armed.

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2013, 10:10 AM

E-320 Bluetec
I had my oil cooler re-sealed last week. The service manager says they see it a lot and at 99K miles, it seemed an inevitable cost of ownership of one of these engines. They also replaced the inlet port servo motor that was oil soaked. That's the third one on the engine as it had been replaced at 85K. Hang on to your billfold if you want to own one of these bluetecs, it gets expensive.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:40 PM

09 E320 Bluetec
Yep, oil cooler leak.

They offered a small amount of "goodwill". Will be speaking to the service director tomorrow.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 W204 M272 2005 W211 E55
the charge pipe in front of the engline likes to leak also from oil blow by from the turbo... try replaced the o rings
Old 01-07-2014, 01:39 AM

09 E320 Bluetec
I'll be taking it in next week for the repair. The dealership was able to basically flip flop the goodwill, so now I'll pay for parts and MB will pick up the labor tab. Since it's a ~20 hour job, that's a good thing!

I'm mostly satisfied with this arrangement, so have regained confidence in the brand and my dealership again.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by dtrentr
I had my oil cooler re-sealed last week. The service manager says they see it a lot and at 99K miles, it seemed an inevitable cost of ownership of one of these engines. They also replaced the inlet port servo motor that was oil soaked. That's the third one on the engine as it had been replaced at 85K. Hang on to your billfold if you want to own one of these bluetecs, it gets expensive.
Mines a 2007, no issues; owned since new and only done 36K miles so far. Be years before I get to 99K miles; the car may outlast me