E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2008 E350 Instrument Cluster - Blank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic
2008 E350 Instrument Cluster - Blank

Hey guys, I turned on my car last night and had a blank instrument cluster. I've been doing some reading today on here and other forums, and it sounds likely I'll need to get a replacement...but I wanted to double check everything else first.

The instrument cluster is completely dark, however everything else is working fine. Parktronic, headlights, signals (minus clicking/ instrument indicator) all functional.

First...I couldn't find anything in my fuse booklet with any dedicated fuses for anything that looks like it's the instrument cluster. I'm assuming there isn't one...just making sure i'm not crazy.

My first question is what steps would I take to make sure that it's not a battery problem? I have had some odd battery issues lately, which makes me think this might be a culprit. About a month ago my wife had a dead battery after leaving the dome light on for ~1 hour (which has happened once before, for longer and didn't cause a dead battery). These other things are new... First, I noticed that on start (I don't know the proper term), it sounds like it's a slow cranking speed and with the car running, when I turn on the rear defrost I notice the interior light dim slightly.

So...without taking my car in and saying "hey my instrument cluster" died, what could i ask of my local authorized repair shop to test my battery first? Is this even a good idea?

This other issue is probably not related, but when I was looking for an instrument cluster fuse, I noticed that fuse 28 (Radio) on my booklet calls for a 15 amp fuse...there's actually a 5 amp in this slot. It's not blown, it appears fine. I bought the car as a CPO in 2010, and as far as I know no one but the dealer has had any reason to be in the fuse box (only repairs done by someone other than dealership have been brake/rotors).

Here's a link to what I see:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/p16jz6d3crp6u2q/sSw1j5Hf-W

Should I just ignore this? Would this have *anything* to do with the problems with the instrument cluster?

Thanks for any guidance in advance.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
If your man has the correct diagnostic tools---his first step will be to do a quick test on all modules----if he has the correct diagnostic equipment it will provide a fault for the IC-----if he has the correct diagnostic equipment he will then be able to do a series of guided tests to find out what caused the fault.

Don't waste your time asking to check he battery---just simply have him run a quick test and you want to see the print out-----if his response is in a foreign language--he is not your man
Old 06-23-2018, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008benz e350
What did it end up being having same problem
Old 02-25-2019, 11:01 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
fleet
Originally Posted by Brian Seth
What did it end up being having same problem
did this ever get solved?