E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Help: Sunroof Pkg. Gone? & Side Sunshades Question ('04)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Thats correct-[ Thats why we are removing my 03 rear door panels and installing in a 04.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:57 AM

If you still have time to add options on your order why don't you just call the Mercedes dealer in downtown Chicago on Clark Street and ask how he was able to get the retractable side window blinds with the pano roof on the E500 which was parked up on one of the upper levels of the main sales building last week. It was the only pano roof E in the place. The window sticker showed the blinds as coming from the factory and listed them as a separate option with their own option number.

(I am aware that for the E55 the side window blinds are listed as a separate option. My guess is if your dealer just uses that option number on your order for an E500 or E320 it should work. It probably will require a phone call since the netstar software isn't programmed to recognize the rear side window retractable blinds as being a separate option.)

Too bad MarcusBenz is not available to post as he would have a definitive answer for us in a heart beat. IMHO whatever sales he got off this site he more than earned by supplying us with real information and if he didn't have the answer he would go the extra mile to get it. The other sales people or dealers who contribute to this website have done little more than give us a list of cars coming in which is appreciated, but hardly a substitute for being a real contributor willing to spend the time and effort to get the best information available to our many quaint and quirky questions.

Last edited by Mercedesfan; 12-01-2003 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:27 PM

Car either is on the water or in the VPC according to schedule. I cannot get a tracking on the VIN. Think all I could do now is confuse things.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:06 AM

Join the club, it was too late for me to attempt to add the option too. I think though that I will be quite happy with the dealer available rear side window blinds since with their custom fit they look nice as pictured on the parts department computer rendering and appear to actually cover more of the window than the factory installed ones. Then too there is the advantage of not having an open slit in the rear door panel for dirt and kids debri to enter. I can just picture preschoolers having fun sliding cd's into the slot to see how far they fall.

Has anyone actually seen the parts (non retractable dealer part available rear window side blinds) and are they convenient to remove and replace and store when not in use?
Old 12-02-2003, 09:32 AM

CD's into roiller blind slots

Oh my God ! I will remove all cd's from the back seat just to prevent any temptation. Good point.

abhansali - I think they= are estimating 1 hour each door dismantle and reassemble.

Not sure how muich is involved with the airbags and all.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:50 PM

2012 CL550
Mercedesfan, I saw the dealer installed side window blinds today. You are right, they cover more of the window than the factory installed ones do. However, they do not retract. They clip on at the base of the window and again at the top where the door seal connects to the door frame. The fact that they don't retract may or may not be an issue for you. It's an all or nothing deal. The removal/installation process seemed quite simple, though. One other note, they were very dark. But I was in the showroom and not in direct sunlight. I'm still debating about getting them.

I also asked about the dealer installed rear window blind. No one knows anything about it and the Parts Department doesn't have any information about it other than the fact that it is available. Another fine example of MB not communicating well enough with the retailers. They don't know how it installs or if it retracts and don't have a picture of one. I've also learned you CANNOT rely on the pictures on the website, so that's no help in this case. Anyone here know anything about this?
Old 12-03-2003, 12:11 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: CD's into roiller blind slots

Originally posted by marksatex
abhansali - I think they= are estimating 1 hour each door dismantle and reassemble.

Not sure how muich is involved with the airbags and all.
I know you said that for yours they are removing it from your '03 and installing on the '04. Can you ask if they can order the parts and install it in an '04? 2 hrs of labor is probably under $200 + parts, it may not be a bad deal, because I have 2 kids (3 and 1) that both sit in car seats in the back, and the Texas sun inevitable irritates them. This seems like one of those very useful options, that's why I really wanted it. If you have a name of someone I can talk to at your dealership, can you pm me?
Old 12-03-2003, 10:31 PM

Will look into it for you
Old 12-03-2003, 10:31 PM

Will look into it for you
Old 12-04-2003, 09:54 PM

2-4 Time the web price he tells me. ! Told me they added a rear elec roller blind on a s class and it was $4000 after all the mods and parts
Old 12-06-2003, 11:27 AM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Hi Mallard

Your comment on

>>...I saw the dealer installed side window blinds today. You are >>right, they cover more of the window than the factory installed >>ones do. However, they do not retract. They clip on at the >>base of the window and again at the top where the door seal >>connects to the door frame. The fact that they don't retract >>may or may not be an issue for you. It's an all or nothing deal. >>The removal/installation process seemed quite simple, though. >>One other note, they were very dark. But I was in the >>showroom and not in direct sunlight. I'm still debating about >>getting them.

>>I also asked about the dealer installed rear window blind...

Do you recommend this? When I got my '03 E500, since it was the end of the year and '04 were not available, I missed the boat on the factory option. Had to take whatever is left on the lot.

I have been having a hard time with my dealership on getting these two accessories (side and rear shades) and am getting no where. They have no clue nor how to install (even after showing them being available at the MSUSA web site.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:58 AM

2012 CL550
GearHead,
I was at the dealership yesterday doing some more investigating on these options. They don't have anymore information than yours does. No picture. No description of what they do. Nothing other than they know they can get them. Bad news is, if they come in and I don't want them I'm stuck with them. The dealership will not take them back.

From what I could tell about the side blinds, they just snap on to the door frame. I'm guessing about that, but it didn't look like there were any modifications needed to the door. As for the rear blind, I can find no information at all. I'm going to call MBUSA next week and see what they can tell me. I'll let you know if I find out any more information. Wish me luck, I'm not holding my breath that they will know any more than the dealership.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:20 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Mallard

Thanks. Will keep my fingers crossed.

Yesterday, I saw a '03 Camry with manual rear window sunblinds. Based upon its mechanism, I think this retractable sunblind can be easily installed in any car.

Therefore, I am really hoping that the MB accessory for the E class is similar ... being the housing is 'bolted or screwed down' to the rear window shelf and have clips/hooks on the top part of the window to hold the shade.

Good luck. Pls report what you find from MBUSA
Old 12-21-2003, 12:26 AM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Question

Hello anyone

Any luck with installing Side and Rear windows sunblinds accessories?

I am thinking of visiting my dealer again on this issue but am looking for input from anyone who had experience on this

Thanks in advance