Need some advice about jerking transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 03:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99 E55, 00 S500, 01 CLK55, 01 E320, 04 E320
Unhappy Need some advice about jerking transmission

Hi, Family

I have 03 E500 with almost 160K miles. Few month ago i started to notice that on low speeds (from 1 to 2 gear) it was jerking, but maybe once in a few days. But i wasnt paying any attention to it, but after i saw post about Valeo radiators and glycol contamination i took it to my mechanic (he was working for Benz dealership and now running his own shop and he is very professional dude).

Also, once i didn't see a huge DIP on the road and flew over it and hit the ground with front bumper, but i cant remember was it before car's jerking or after. And reason I'm bringing it up because my mechanic did a glycol test and it came POSITIVE with damaged VALEO So, i end up putting new radiator and few hoses and flushing twice my tranny to wash all glycol from it.

Everything was good but few days later it did the same jerking again at parking lot.

Did new test for glycol, came out negative. So we took Torque Converter out and send it for rebuilt. Guy told us that he did rebuild it but Torque Converted was looking perfect to him. "****!" i said in my mind, because i was hoping that TQ was bad and after rebuilt everything gonna be fine. So we put it back and did another oil flush. Jerking came back again after couple days. And As i said it was jerking once in a few days.

We took tranny apart, clutch packs were in perfect condition (mechanic guessed that tranny was rebuilt recently, it was in perfect shape and color. So, just in case we replaced Teflon Seals. Everything was fine but it came back again.

There was no jerking on W-mode, but this time it did it even on W

Transmission Pin connector was leaking and we replaced it, so this time we decided to check TCU, and it was full of oil. We sprayed it with e-cleaner, put it back drove it, opened it back again and cleaned it again. Jerking is not that obvious as before, but i can still feel it sometimes in traffic and in parking lot.

I'm kind of lost. I have ocd to this kind of stuff, because i know that something is wrong but i cant find what exactly!

Any ideas?
Old 04-13-2014, 10:58 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 ML320, 2005 E320 CDI
Did a search on the surging issue and someone did an extensive writeup on several spots in the TC that caused it. There are things "within tolerance" when pulling them that cause the issue. If I can find it, I will repost. At minimum it was a good read.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:36 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 ML320, 2005 E320 CDI
Update to my previous post. I researched a new torque converter, but prior to buying and installing a 3000 stall, I cleaned the EGR in the CDI. Issue all but disappeared. You may want to try it. Took me 5 minutes and a can of Carb Cleaner. ($4).
Old 05-04-2014, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Heard about this happening on a CDI about a year and a half ago, I'll never find the thread again but second time I've heard about the EGR causing a similar issue.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:49 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
2009 S550 AMG sport pckg. 2014 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrewcab
Have you also checked the flex discs? Maybe they have lost thier rigidity and need replacement. There are two. One is located at the driveshaft/output shaft and the other at the differential/driveshaft. See if they are worn out.

Last edited by Nickthegreek; 05-11-2014 at 03:52 PM.